JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't mean like a clamp on gas block front sight, I mean like a front sight for say, a free float tube that's at the same height as the A1/A2 fixed sight. Seems I remember that there are two different FSB heights due to the flat top rail and the original carry handle setups having a different plane so to speak :s0092:

You are talking about the "F" mark for a flat top vs unmarked for the A1/A2.
M4Carbine.net Forums

Both are great cartridges.
I have a Bison Armory in 6.8 -- it has performed very well for me.
Years ago, read an article comparing the logistics and ballistics between 6.8 and 6.5. They were comparing the performance of the rounds in barrels 14.5 to 20". The take-away was that 6.8 was the better performer in shorter barrels at shorter ranges, 6.5 benefited from longer barrels and was better at distance. So I have two 16" 6.8's and a 18 & 20" 6.5.
Grendel has cheaper OTS ammo and, for the most part, has less expensive bullets. The cheapest I have found for reloading 6.8 is 18¢ per projectile.
Magazines
As far as a comparison of magazines, we used to have a member here, BSAHunter1917 (or something like that) who started a thread on 6mmWOA. He's gone, and I cannot find the thread.
I have a bunch of different brands: C-MAG, ASC (I think the same company) some other, and PRI. PRI are expensive, and IMO, the only dependable game in town when failure is not an option. With the ASC and C-MAG, you cannot load them to max capacity or you will likely FTF.
I use them interchangeably for 224 Valk, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.

2 cents: Short-barrel means 6.8 in my book. So for your shooting pleasure (reliability) I suggest a short ARP 6.8 barrel with a pinned brake and PRI mags. If you want to be different go with a ARP 30 TAC (30 Herret)Enjoy!

Do you have a source for the ARP barrel?

ARP 6.8: 6.8 SPCII

ARP 6.8 SPC Barrels BCGs ect

CD I didn't see a lot of inventory available currently. The TAC 30 (Herret), Tac 6, and Grendel stuff wasn't available right now at all. You can find out about ARP and Harrison (Handle is 'Constuctor" at:

AR-15 Performance Forum

Harrison is extremely knowledgeable, a innovator and all around good guy. He will help you out and take care of you. I have 4 of his barrels so far.

Bookmarked the site, and I'll probably acquire the barrel and BCG in August or so. Gotta get the rest of the parts in the meantime :) edit. I live in an apartment complex. They say no shipping to apartment complexes:confused: I'll figure things out. There is the Bison Armory stainless steel 11.5" 6.8 SPC from Bison Armory's site, and the Faxon 12" 6.5 Grendel from Primary Arms..

Last Edited:
I went with 6.8 SPC.

The ARP barrels are the bees knees! Very accurate and well worth the $200 price. Tool Craft BCG and PRI magazines.

I don't care about the point of 6.5 Grendel being made in steel case variety. Steel case is garbage, and I refuse to put garbage ammo through a chamber and barrel I have invested $200 + into.

Yeah, that's true about steel cases not being a good idea through BCG/Barrel thats quality. I emailed ARP to get clarification because my apartment complex uses locked post boxes, much like many of the neighborhoods; so far more secure than putting at the doors. On the other hand, I do have another account with my father, and the billing address is to his home, so that maybe the best route to get the ARP barrel. Bison Armory does have options including a BCG and some other things for a similar price point. Has anyone here run Bison Armory barrels?

Bookmarked the site, and I'll probably acquire the barrel and BCG in August or so. Gotta get the rest of the parts in the meantime :) edit. I live in an apartment complex. They say no shipping to apartment complexes:confused: I'll figure things out. There is the Bison Armory stainless steel 11.5" 6.8 SPC from Bison Armory's site, and the Faxon 12" 6.5 Grendel from Primary Arms..

If you can get them to ship FedEx you can get delivery at a nearby FedEx store. Don't know if UPS or USPS have those options. I'd go that route as much as possible living in an apartment complex anyway.

Yeah, that's true about steel cases not being a good idea through BCG/Barrel thats quality. I emailed ARP to get clarification because my apartment complex uses locked post boxes, much like many of the neighborhoods; so far more secure than putting at the doors. On the other hand, I do have another account with my father, and the billing address is to his home, so that maybe the best route to get the ARP barrel. Bison Armory does have options including a BCG and some other things for a similar price point. Has anyone here run Bison Armory barrels?
I ran a Bison 18" recon barrel and loved it. Still kicking myself for selling it. I find myself browsing their website for another one.

Got my C7 stripped upper, and the CMMG "premium lower parts kit" today, here's how they look so far on the NWFA Anderson lower (thanks again @HA556 !) ;
I will likely swap the tan trigger guard for the black one.
I'm still figuring out which barrel/BCG. I can get a Faxon 12" 6.5 Grendel barrel, or a Bison Armory 11.5" 6.8 SPC II; their BCGs and magazines are pretty much the same level (within few dollars if any)
For sure, pistol buffer and a cheek rest, no blade or brace at least until Magpul releases their versions. The look I am really going for... is basically a 1990s C7A1 Commando pistol, with carbine round handguard and triangle FSB.

I have gone back and forth many times on this. I have found that 6.8spc feeds better and from reports performs the same in the barrels up to 16" but 18" or longer the 6.5 performs better. Since you going the short barrel route none of that matters. It comes down to as others have mentioned ammo availability. Wolf makes budget steel cased ammo this was very appealing to me but I would never use steel case in a higher end barrel. I like both rounds as a western oregon black tail round but since the purpose of this rifle is to be compact and lightweight I went ahead with the 6.8 because only hunt with good ammo.

I ended up trading for a budget grendel barrel just for the purpose of shooting cheap ammo and possibly hunting so I put up the 2 nicer 6.5 uppers up for sale because I would never put steel case through them.

Okay, I will decide when the time comes. Now. For the lower. Hm. Its mostly done, with the exception of the receiver extension/buffer tube, end plate, and castle nut, as well as spring and buffer. My questions..
1. Am I gonna get into ATF trouble just for putting the carbine tube on, no stock, nor brace? I understand there's the potential issue of "constructive intents" if I happen to have a stock with no tube and a tube with no stock.. but I don't have a stock without a tube at the time being. I want to get the Magpul BSL brace when it comes out in Fall, if the ATF doesn't pull yet another "secret rule" thing :rolleyes:

2. Buffers. I can get a H2 buffer locally, or I can order an adjustable one. Which would make more sense? Carbine gas, standard A2 FSB in .750 diameter. 11.5" or 12" barrel, either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

Ammo availability and barrel availability drove my choice to 6.5 Grendel. The lower is mostly complete, save for brace (Magpul BSL whenever it comes out)

The upper needs the following items

A1 rear sight assembly, probably Luth-AR.

BCG

Gas tube

Barrel (coming in the mail)

I haven't decided what muzzle device I want... 3 prong A1 style, or A2 birdcage?

Here's the retro-tastic build so far! I haven't figured whats the best way to remove that Magpul trigger bar... I see its got a set screw?
20200803_142631.jpg

Ammo availability and barrel availability drove my choice to 6.5 Grendel. The lower is mostly complete, save for brace (Magpul BSL whenever it comes out)

The upper needs the following items

A1 rear sight assembly, probably Luth-AR.

BCG

Gas tube

Barrel (coming in the mail)

I haven't decided what muzzle device I want... 3 prong A1 style, or A2 birdcage?

Here's the retro-tastic build so far! I haven't figured whats the best way to remove that Magpul trigger bar... I see its got a set screw?
View attachment 730839
roll pin on one side, setscrew on the other. drive the pin out, remove set screw by loosening it with an allen key

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews