JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought another Aero M4E1 lower, and was promptly told by my FFL they would NOT transfer it as a pistol. That said, I decided I didn't want to build another 5.56 AR-15. Some research of alternative AR-15 calibers turned up the 6.5 Grendel. I still don't know a whole lot about it, but everything so far indicates it's a great caliber to run in an AR-15- so I'm taking the plunge, building one, and still figuring out what barrel/length/ type I'm gonna run. I know the ammo is pricier than 5.56/.223, but on paper it seems to be an excellent intermediate range round. How do you like your 6.5 Grendel build? What barrel length/ material did you choose and why? Any input is greatly appreciated.

gun jail 6-21-18_001.jpg
Geno

I recently bought another Aero M4E1 lower, and was promptly told by my FFL they would NOT transfer it as a pistol. That said, I decided I didn't want to build another 5.56 AR-15. Some research of alternative AR-15 calibers turned up the 6.5 Grendel. I still don't know a whole lot about it, but everything so far indicates it's a great caliber to run in an AR-15- so I'm taking the plunge, building one, and still figuring out what barrel/length/ type I'm gonna run. I know the ammo is pricier than 5.56/.223, but on paper it seems to be an excellent intermediate range round. How do you like your 6.5 Grendel build? What barrel length/ material did you choose and why? Any input is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 472820
Geno
I didn't build mine and purchased a complete upper through Pro 2A tactical. It came with a Bear Creek Arsenal 18 inch 416R SS fluted barrel, 1:8 twist and grendel 2 chambered. The BCG is made by tool craft with a .136 bolt face depth. I matted it to standard Anderson Manufacturing lower.
I realize most Grendel owners like the 20-24 inch barrel for the increase in velocity and most reloading is based on those barrel lengths. I have only put about 500 rounds down range at 100 yards using Wolf ammo.
I will be reloading for this round and found a lot of info here, 6.5 Grendel ARs and Other Semi-Autos

Good luck,
Mike

I didn't build mine and purchased a complete upper through Pro 2A tactical. It came with a Bear Creek Arsenal 18 inch 416R SS fluted barrel, 1:8 twist and grendel 2 chambered. The BCG is made by tool craft with a .136 bolt face depth. I matted it to standard Anderson Manufacturing lower.
I realize most Grendel owners like the 20-24 inch barrel for the increase in velocity and most reloading is based on those barrel lengths. I have only put about 500 rounds down range at 100 yards using Wolf ammo.
I will be reloading for this round and found a lot of info here, 6.5 Grendel ARs and Other Semi-Autos

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks for the link to that 6.5 Grendel forum- a popular caliber no doubt. I have yet to buy a barrel, BCG, or mags yet- I still have a bit of research though before I make those purchases. I've shot my AR-15s, Aero M5E1 at steel targets set out to 500 yds- the 5.56 has little issue ringing steel at that distance, the .308as well, but seems to be more affected by wind gusts than the .223. I'm planning to set up paper targets at 500,600, and 700 yds. on my next shooting trip to really see how accurate both calibers can be- I should have my 6.5 Grendel AR built in a month or two, and then we'll see how that caliber fares.

Geno

How do you like your 6.5 Grendel build?

I had one and got rid of it. I came to the conclusion that it doesn't do a whole lot more than a 5.56 with some 69 or 77 grn SMKs within 600 yrs.

The increase in cost for mags and components wasn't worth the increase in performance IMO.

I think the 6.5 class needs a bit more umph to get the most out of it.

I suppose if you insist on hunting with a AR15 in a caliber restricted state, it could be of use. If it's for shooting off a bench at paper, there is better options IMO. YMMV

I had one and got rid of it. I came to the conclusion that it doesn't do a whole lot more than a 5.56 with some 69 or 77 grn SMKs within 600 yrs.

The increase in cost for mags and components wasn't worth the increase in performance IMO.

I think the 6.5 class needs a bit more umph to get the most out of it.

I suppose if you insist on hunting with a AR15 in a caliber restricted state, it could be of use. If it's for shooting off a bench at paper, there is better options IMO. YMMV

My decision to go 6.5 Grendel was based not only the increased performance of the round, but the ability to shoot a better round off of the AR-15 platform- with the swap of an upper, BCG, and mags, you can reach out to 800 yds and beyond with a harder hitting bullet. The advantages to me are obvious- a lighter long-range rifle and familiarity with the platform. I'm not a fan of bench rifles either- my rifles are set up to run single point/ dual point slings, and barrel weight factors into my selection process as well. I also prefer to shoot steel targets at a distance.

Geno

Geno did you look at .224 Valkyrie ?
Seems like the entire rifle/ammo industry jumped on this one.
I've never seen a new cartridge take off so fast.
The Keefe Report: 224 Valkyrie—Rightly, The Next Big Thing

If you're set on the Grendel....
As stated above it runs better from 20-24 inch barrels.
It's a small case for 6.5 pills and you want to get it going as fast as possible for long range work.

Alexander Arms is the developer and they have an online store
Ballistic Advantage might have the price-performance sweet spot for barrels
ToolCraft is an excellent supplier of BCG's
There is a Grendel Forum for everything Grendel
CPD makes Grendel mags

Good luck with the build

I finally got a chance to assemble all the parts on my 6.5 Grendel build. I'm really liking the look of this Parallax Tactical FFSSR handguard. The black/FDE look isn't bad looking, but it will still get pulled off of the rifle and go to the cerakoaters.
011_build done.jpg
012_build done.jpg 014_ASC.jpg
Geno

My optic finally made it off the slow rolling Fed Ex truck.. No regrets about spending the money for this Nikon x1000 6-24×50 riflescope. I'm looking forward to seeing how this baby will shoot.

Geno
FB_IMG_1534982424762.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews