JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, that was fun, but here are more real-world examples.

Copied from another post:

Speaking of energy, if you are familiar with the 300 Weatherby Mag you will know that a 180 Partition fired from that rifle has over two tons of energy at the muzzle. So why did the 2.5 year old 4x4 I shot in the Cascades at under 100 yards simply turn his head and start walking away? Maybe he didn't read the ballistics table. Or how about the spike a couple of years later, hit with the same bullet from a .30-06 started at almost 2900 FPS, at only 50 yards? Hit broadside while walking and bugling, he just kept on walking despite the through and through behind his shoulder. I have more examples but you get the point.

Adding: my dad shot a spike behind the shoulder several years ago, .300 Weatherby Mag, 180 Partition, maybe 70 yards. Zipzip, through and through, twice. The bull just humped up a bit. It took a spine shot, number 3, to knock him down.

My first bull was a big 4x4 at 80 yards. He took three 180 Core-Lokts from my .30-06 behind the shoulder without moving, fourth shot spined him in the neck.

Energy, to me, is a meaningless figure.

P

You are missing the point. Its not black and white. A higher caliber allows a GREATER margin of error and allows an inperfect shot (Since we live in the real world and non lala land) to put down the game where a more marginal caliber may just wound it , resulting in a long tracking or lost game and an animal to die in agony.
Actually I'm not missing the point.
Don't get me wrong, I don't and never would recommend a 22 cal for elk hunting but 24 cal/6mm and bigger work. Seen videos of elk drop Shot with 243, hundreds of yards away. And as pharm posted a deer with 50 BMG still ran off .
243 Maybe not optimal to break shoulders but less recoil means better shots for most of us.
My main rig is 06. It may be dated, but 168 ttsx at 2950 simply works.
I leave the 9.3x62 thumper Shooting 250 or 286 grain pills at home. I bring the old 270 as a back up...It also works and has worked for decades.
Shot placement over displacement

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads