JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Per Nosler's load data:

6.5 CM, 120 grain, mv 3068
7mm-08 120 grain, mv 3262. Adjust for barrel length, subtract 50 FPS for 3212 (I get 3126 with 22.5" bbl)

6.5 CM, 140 grain, mv 2731
7mm-08 140 grain, mv 2953. Adjust for barrel length, subtract 50 FPS for 2903 (I get 2890 with 22.5" bbl)

6.5 CM, 150 grain, oops, no data
7mm-08 150 grain, mv 2869. Adjust for barrel length, subtract 50 FPS for 2819 (I get 2790 with 22.5" bbl)

6.5 CM, 160 grain, oops, no data
7mm-08 160 grain, mv 2780. Adjust for barrel length, subtract 50 FPS for 2730

6.5 CM, 175 grain, oops, no data
7mm-08 175 grain, mv 2623. Adjust for barrel length, subtract 50 FPS for 2573

But but but the BC is better on the 6.5 bullets! Don't care. Not a factor inside 600 yards.

P

Bah! "Paper figures".
Load 'em up and let's see what they do in the field!
....the 7mm-08's been proving itself for 40 years.
What say you, 6.5 Creedmoor?

Dean

Once again. The 6.5 Swede has been proving it self since 1900. (1890)
I would have got the 7-08 over 6.5 CM but due to ammo availability and cost, I went with 6.5.
And yes, I do reload

6.5cm with a hornady 143gr eldx bullet will take most if not all North American game in the lower 48.

id bet it'd take a moose or grizz down if shot was in right spot!
Have you hit any game with an eldx? I'm wondering how they do with regards to penetration and not destroying a whole shoulder. I hit a deer with a SST one year and swore off cup and core bullets. Killed the deer by becoming a grenade inside of it.. Only been using bonded/mono's since then. Having said that, dead is dead but I dont like ruining more meat than necessary.

Hey, watch Wayne VanZwoll shoot this elk at 603 yards with the creedmoor. I know John Burns likes stretching the envelope a bit, but the creedmoor got her done for Wayne.
But is it repeatable.

Given the same variables out of 100 times, how many are successful.

Change a few variables and you might be surprised what the margin of error is.

Elk are massive, strong beast. You can kill them with arrows or a 9mm if you get close enough.

Larger calibers create additional margin of error in putting game down.

The perfect shot rarely happens. You have to account for less than optimal variables and a responsible and experienced hunter know this.

Jokers on the internet see some professional hunter make a 800 yard kill on a elk with a 6.5CM and think its easy. Just like seeing Patrick Mahomes zing a sizeline pass 30 yards on the money. There are maybe 10 guys on the planet who can make that throw. You also arent seeing the failures.

If you have to hunt elk with 6.5CM, I would keep it under 300 yards and be damn sure you have good equipment and can put it through both lungs with a full face target.

Larger calibers (Energy wise) let you take more risky shots while maintaining the same kill probabilities.

Once again. The 6.5 Swede has been proving it self since 1900. (1890)
I would have got the 7-08 over 6.5 CM but due to ammo availability and cost, I went with 6.5.
And yes, I do reload
Hunting in Scandinavia is very short range and many times night hunting. They aren't taking 300+ yard shots. The terrain does not really support that anyway.

Many areas in the US you may have to take a 4-500 yard shot due to terrain. That's why a intelligent hunter brings enough bubblegum to the party.

Hunting in Scandinavia is very short range and many times night hunting. They aren't taking 300+ yard shots. The terrain does not really support that anyway.

Many areas in the US you may have to take a 4-500 yard shot due to terrain. That's why a intelligent hunter brings enough bubblegum to the party.

The buck on the right was taken near last light at 541 yards, 7mm-08, 140 Partition. The buck on the left was taken nearby shortly after, 505 yards, 140 AccuBond.

F38432D7-691E-4E21-9FEA-10D12CEF3EA3.jpeg

The 5x6 bull was killed opening morning at 409 yards, 150 ELD-X, 7mm-08

28AF967F-FFD2-4A0B-8A92-6F7860EEED2C.jpeg

I think that's plenty of bubblegum, don't you agree?

P

The execption does not prove the rule. For every long range shot on an elk with a marginal caliber that results in a clean kill, there are 9 that flat out miss, aren't perfect shots, wounding ect.

You wont see all the bubbas out on facebook and the forums bragging about their failures.

We find Elk, bear and even mullies with arrow and bullet wounds ALL the time. These animals are much stronger and bigger than most think.

And once again.
It doesn't matter if you don't hit the vitals or CNS with your magnum..
Only time your super duper small Johnson magnum will work better is if you're trying to bust through bone to get to the vital at long range. Which brings up long range hunting ethics.

The execption does not prove the rule. For every long range shot on an elk with a marginal caliber that results in a clean kill, there are 9 that flat out miss, aren't perfect shots, wounding ect.

You wont see all the bubbas out on facebook and the forums bragging about their failures.

We find Elk, bear and even mullies with arrow and bullet wounds ALL the time. These animals are much stronger and bigger than most think.

I can't speak to an exception, if I am one. My hunting party uses the 7mm-08 extensively. We killed four bucks this season, 350 to 430 yards. We're no strangers to elk, either, 225 to 409 yards.

its easy to practice with a low-recoiling cartridge. More practice generally yields better placement, and we all know that placement wins.

7mm-08 can kill.

D1404081-FE50-4CC3-901B-6933ED1E4ADA.jpeg

P

And once again.
It doesn't matter if you don't hit the vitals or CNS with your magnum..
Only time your super duper small Johnson magnum will work better is if you're trying to bust through bone to get to the vital at long range. Which brings up long range hunting ethics.
You are missing the point. Its not black and white. A higher caliber allows a GREATER margin of error and allows an inperfect shot (Since we live in the real world and non lala land) to put down the game where a more marginal caliber may just wound it , resulting in a long tracking or lost game and an animal to die in agony.

You are missing the point. Its not black and white. A higher caliber allows a GREATER margin of error and allows an inperfect shot (Since we live in the real world and non lala land) to put down the game where a more marginal caliber may just wound it , resulting in a long tracking or lost game and an animal to die in agony.

I'm not seeing it. A shot in the guts is a shot in the guts. A .338 minus a .284 is .054. That's fifty-four thousandths. How can a marginal shot be anything but a marginal shot?

P

I'm not seeing it. A shot in the guts is a shot in the guts. A .338 minus a .284 is .054. That's fifty-four thousandths. How can a marginal shot be anything but a marginal shot?

P
Your not seeing it because you are not listening. Go back and re-read.
1603211841762.png
Also, The actual diameter of the caliber matters little. Go look up the ballistics of a .308 and a 300 Norma Mag. 308 has around 2500 FT Lbs at the muzzle, 300Norma has 4600+. That's almost 100% increase in energy. This isin't something that should require explanation.

People don't think ballistics be like they be, but they do.

Your not seeing it because you are not listening. Go back and re-read.
View attachment 765166
Also, The actual diameter of the caliber matters little. Go look up the ballistics of a .308 and a 300 Norma Mag. 308 has around 2500 FT Lbs at the muzzle, 300Norma has 4600+. That's almost 100% increase in energy. This isin't something that should require explanation.

People don't think ballistics be like they be, but they do.

Explain this:

Whats the ft/lbs of a 650 grain HP going 2500 FPS? And she still ran off.

Ballistics don't be like they be, sometimes.

P

To put it in perspective, a projectile weighing less than 1/4 as much, killed an animal weighing six times as much, in 1/3 the distance, with similar shot placement.

See the big 5x5 bull, above.

P

And sometimes a larger cartridge contributes to poor placement, if the shooter does not tolerate recoil well yet still believes (for some odd reason) that he/she needs a boomer to kill something.

P

Explain this:

Whats the ft/lbs of a 650 grain HP going 2500 FPS? And she still ran off.

Ballistics don't be like they be, sometimes.

P
Your using some one off example to make an argument? I can find one example of something to disprove ANYTHING if that's all it takes.

Some guy out there killed a grizzly bear with a .22. By your logic lets slather u up in bacon grease and send you out into the bush with a single shot .22.

You are being intellectually dishonest and clearly have no desire to debate like an adult.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top