JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I looking to get an idea of the masses opinion on using 6.5 Creedmore as general purpose hunting caliber for non-dangerous game in the lower 48 states up to and including elk. The 6.5x55 is basically the Euro 30-06 and has slain a lot of beasts on that continent.

I plan on getting a precision rifle in 6.5CM and thought about getting a hunting rifle in the same caliber. What do you guys think?

Like flushing upland birds with a full choke, I'd have to let them get out there a bit further:
0V6FduU.jpg

:s0133::s0034::s0094:

6.5cm with a hornady 143gr eldx bullet will take most if not all North American game in the lower 48.

id bet it'd take a moose or grizz down if shot was in right spot!

Will it shoot a hunting bullet? If not get a suitable big game caliber. If you only have the one rifle and would not rather get another, creep up close before shooting the 6.5. The game shot in Europe is close in. Shot placement is everything. I had a practically blind hunter shoot at a bounding whitetail buck just before dark. The thing dropped dead, his shot had severed the top of the heart. The .338 works good for antelope and elk both.

Will it shoot a hunting bullet? If not get a suitable big game caliber. If you only have the one rifle and would not rather get another, creep up close before shooting the 6.5. The game shot in Europe is close in. Shot placement is everything. I had a practically blind hunter shoot at a bounding whitetail buck just before dark. The thing dropped dead, his shot had severed the top of the heart. The .338 works good for antelope and elk both.

The 338 is excellent, if one can handle it.. However, what does it have to do with the 6.5 creedmoor the op was asking about? :D

Bullets mean more than whats stamped on the case head. The bullet is the only thing going down range unless you shoot a Chinese SKS. A good hunting bullet designed for your game animal that expands best at the ranges you are likely to shoot = just fine.

I'm shocked you didn't just tell the OP to just buy a Tikka T3x and call it a day. Good for shooting tiny groups and great for hunting. Win win situation there and he only has to spend money on 1 rifle... Ingenious idea...:p Damn, now I want to head down to sportsman's and buy a superlite...

So many variables...range, ability, bullet construction....if the 6.5 is what you have, practice practice at the ranges you intend to shoot...then practice some more. Wounding an animal will stick in your memory for many years......

The 338 is excellent, if one can handle it.. However, what does it have to do with the 6.5 creedmoor the op was asking about? :D
The 6.5 Creedmoor needs to grow up and gain some girth before it goes hunting. Wounding game with a rifle too small for the task is not ideal. I once shot a nice bull with a .223. Can you count on big game like elk to present a suitable position for a successful shot? Not likely. I passed on close shot on a young bull once since my only shot was from behind. I mostly hunted elk with a smaller caliber. .270, .280, 7mm Rem. Mag always with 140 grain bullets. A more powerful rifle is a better idea.

I certainly wouldn't feel undergunned with one, and I like caliber commonality.

Although, if I was hunting in an area where long range opportunities were probable and had the skillset to take long distance shots, I'd want something bigger, especially on elk.

The 6.5 Creedmoor needs to grow up and gain some girth before it goes hunting. Wounding game with a rifle too small for the task is not ideal. I once shot a nice bull with a .223. Can you count on big game like elk to present a suitable position for a successful shot? Not likely. I passed on close shot on a young bull once since my only shot was from behind. I mostly hunted elk with a smaller caliber. .270, .280, 7mm Rem. Mag always with 140 grain bullets. A more powerful rifle is a better idea.
BS. You don't need a 338 to kill an elk. A 6.5 will handily do the job, if you put the right bullet in the right spot. I've seen elk taken down with a 243, so I know better.

I'm with slimer13, I'd like something bigger for elk.

I've taken 2 elk with a .270Win (shooting Nosler's 160gr Semi-spitzer) without any real problems but the elk I've taken with my .338WM were anchored with more authority and left bigger blood trails than the .277 bullets did. I like to have a cushion when it comes to performance.

Having said that, your 6.5 will do the job, just use good bullets and make wise choices as to when you would shoot.

I looking to get an idea of the masses opinion on using 6.5 Creedmore as general purpose hunting caliber for non-dangerous game in the lower 48 states up to and including elk. The 6.5x55 is basically the Euro 30-06 and has slain a lot of beasts on that continent.

I plan on getting a precision rifle in 6.5CM and thought about getting a hunting rifle in the same caliber. What do you guys think?

Hey, watch Wayne VanZwoll shoot this elk at 603 yards with the creedmoor. I know John Burns likes stretching the envelope a bit, but the creedmoor got her done for Wayne.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top