JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You'll be hard pressed to find a Tikka that shoots as good as my Steven's 200.. Just sayin..:p

I've been hard pressed to find anything that shoots better than a Savage/Stevens product on average. Lots of stuff that looks nicer, but the proof is in the shooting.

That said, I once had a chance to buy a 700 BDL Varmint Special 22-250 (1 in 14 twist be damned) from the mid 80s for cheap. Shoulda bought it.

I've been hard pressed to find anything that shoots better than a Savage/Stevens product on average. Lots of stuff that looks nicer, but the proof is in the shooting.

That said, I once had a chance to buy a 700 BDL Varmint Special 22-250 (1 in 14 twist be damned) from the mid 80s for cheap. Shoulda bought it.

You know, realistically, anymore there are so many good options out there that it is hard to know which one to get. So I understand the OP's situation. We are truly lucky these days, that we can buy "budget" rifles that shoot just as well or better than many custom guns. I know I've gotten into discussions about this before and it really hurts the guys' feelings when they themselves paid $5,000.00+ for a custom and it doesn't shoot any better than a cheapie you can buy on sale at Cabela's for $319.99.... I've shot with guys like ron here that shoots highpower matches. His rifle of choice at our clubs centerfire matches is a lowly ol Cabela's exclusive Savage 12FV chambered in 308w. That rifle shoots extremely well, and I think he uses a cheap scope like a bushnell or something too. Kind of like my set-ups, where you don't really want to pull out the CTR to make everyone feel bad, but use the ugly ol savages. They just rock and roll and put the bullets where you want them.. As to the OP's question about the list of rifles he gave us. I've had the best luck with Tikka and Savage. The rest were nothing but problems, but I won't go into details there. The easiest thing to say is Tikka and Savage are good to go and hopefully you don't pizz in someones cheerios too much with negative coments about the other choices... Oops, I think thats what I just did..:eek:

You know, realistically, anymore there are so many good options out there that it is hard to know which one to get. So I understand the OP's situation. We are truly lucky these days, that we can buy "budget" rifles that shoot just as well or better than many custom guns. I know I've gotten into discussions about this before and it really hurts the guys' feelings when they themselves paid $5,000.00+ for a custom and it doesn't shoot any better than a cheapie you can buy on sale at Cabela's for $319.99.... I've shot with guys like ron here that shoots highpower matches. His rifle of choice at our clubs centerfire matches is a lowly ol Cabela's exclusive Savage 12FV chambered in 308w. That rifle shoots extremely well, and I think he uses a cheap scope like a bushnell or something too. Kind of like my set-ups, where you don't really want to pull out the CTR to make everyone feel bad, but use the ugly ol savages. They just rock and roll and put the bullets where you want them.. As to the OP's question about the list of rifles he gave us. I've had the best luck with Tikka and Savage. The rest were nothing but problems, but I won't go into details there. The easiest thing to say is Tikka and Savage are good to go and hopefully you don't pizz in someones cheerios too much with negative coments about the other choices... Oops, I think thats what I just did..:eek:

A lot of folks think of bolt actions as being pretty mundane and simple, but I've always been really interested in how each one works differently than the other. I've learned some expensive lessons. That Mark V Ultra Lighrweight 280 was supposed to be perfect! Turned out to be a lot more money and trouble than it was worth.

A lot of folks think of bolt actions as being pretty mundane and simple, but I've always been really interested in how each one works differently than the other. I've learned some expensive lessons. That Mark V Ultra Lighrweight 280 was supposed to be perfect! Turned out to be a lot more money and trouble than it was worth.

Me too. I've got a new pre 64 30-06 fwt that I'm working on right now. You would like that rifle, but you would also do exactly like I'm doing right now too. After shooting it for the first time, it showed signs of pressure on the barrel. The inletting for the receiver is excellent though, but It's going to get some glass bedding anyway. It will really start to come alive after a little freefloating and bedding. As far as operation, you know how the pre 64's are. Not every rifle is the same and just about every one I've seen has required a little attention. Some more than others though... The ones that leave a bad taste in my mouth I don't even mess with anymore.

Well I've decided to buy the weatherby mark v weathermark. The weight and feel of the gun felt better then the others I held. I looked at the Christensen arms mesa, but didnt like how high the bolt throw was, other then that it was a great feeling and looking gun. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm excited to get it sighted in for deer season here in saddle mountain. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

It's not Tikka that's turning me off brother, it's the constant Tikka chatter and pictures that's making me mental. Like any other rifle is garbage except a Tikka. Makes me want to sell mine, buy/build something else just to show that ain't true. :)
I cant wait to see how your Bergara shoots. Im rooting for it to be an excellent shooter!!! From what ive been hearing, they shoot lights out. Excellent barrels and triggers and a lot better extractor than a rem 700. You did good.

Well I've decided to buy the weatherby mark v weathermark. The weight and feel of the gun felt better then the others I held. I looked at the Christensen arms mesa, but didnt like how high the bolt throw was, other then that it was a great feeling and looking gun. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm excited to get it sighted in for deer season here in saddle mountain. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Good luck with your weatherby. At least you bought the better mark V and not the vanguard. Ive had some bad luck with the vanguard rifles. Poor extraction and had to send it back to weatherby 3 times to get it fixed. They finally got it to working and then i washed my hands of it.

There is a funny thing about the tikkas though. Somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago the only good bolt rifle was an open top bolt and it was cheap to have a solid cover over the bolt. But now bring tikkas in to play and its ok now...... (I own a tikka so I know I'm putting myself out lol)

ALL GOOD RIFLES BUT I GOT A CHRISTENSEN ARMS RIDGELINE AND IT SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT AS WELL AS BEING ULTRA LIGHT AND NICE TO PACK IF NEED BE. EQUIVALENT PRICE TO OTHER RIFLES YOU MENTIONED AND THEY ARE INCREDIBLE RIFLES! THEY CAN BE FOUND IF YOU PAY ATTENTION FOR $1600-1800 AND THE MESA MODEL THEY MAKE IS A GRAND OR SO AND MY BUDDY LOVES HIS AS WELL.

My Creedmoor is a browning xbolt LR hunter model and it is a very accurate, smooth cycling rifle. It is my first browning bolt gun and I would highly recommend them! Checking zero a month ago I shot a 3 shot 300yd group that was 1 1/4" . I probably couldn't repeat that, but the rifle is certainly capable even if I am not.

Late last year I was searching in vain for another 6.5 Swede, when I came across a Bergara B-14 Light Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. It was on the used wall at a local shop, but it had never been fired or had glass on it. Just previously owned. I bought it for a very decent price, and never looked back. I inspected the insides of the bore with a bore cam, and discovered that those stories about the nicely lapped Bergara barrels are true, and the rifle shoots like a dream. No, it's not a bench rest or LR target gun, but it is light and handy. Took it back to Montana this fall and shot more than a few coyotes with 95 Gr V-Max loads, plus got in some P-dog shooting. With my experiences with the Swede (the ballistics / muzzle velocities are very similar) I wouldn't hesitate to take Elk or Deer with this rifle at reasonable distances, using a Nosler 140 Gr Partition.

Bill