JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, if you hunt, some states may have minimum barrel length requirements. WA as I understand has a 6in min and .40 cal minimum for handguns.

How well can you shoot the 3 and 4in? Is it comfortable to shoot compared to the longer barrel?

HANDGUNS:

Big game, except cougar, may be hunted with handguns with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches per manufacturer's specification, and fire a minimum .24 caliber centerfire cartridge. The minimum for cougar is a .22 caliber centerfire handgun. Rimfire handguns are not legal for big game.

What_difference_does_it_make.png

To sell or not to sell? And, which one goes first (if any at all)?

Dude. It's your guns. Why not just do what YOU like with them.

you_can_do_it.jpg

Aloha, Mark

HANDGUNS:

Big game, except cougar, may be hunted with handguns with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches per manufacturer's specification, and fire a minimum .24 caliber centerfire cartridge. The minimum for cougar is a .22 caliber centerfire handgun. Rimfire handguns are not legal for big game.
Yes, I am aware now, someone already corrected me. I cannot recall where i claimed to have gotten my info then.

I have shot both 5" and 4" .357 with underlug

I find the 4" much better balanced for my personal use than the 5"

I don't find a difference in accuracy out at 25 yrds

I've shot both Ruger and Smith in 4" - and that's a personal preference - I prefer a Smith and my son prefers a Ruger

I have everything from 2 1/4" all the way up to 9.5" revolvers. I like a long barrel and my 6" Blackhawk in 357 is my favorite handgun. The longest I routinely carry as a CCW gun is 4 5/8". My hand gun skills are not top notch so I don't do any better with a 6" gun verses a 3" one. I just like the look of long barrels. I am actually actively searching for a donor Blackhawk to re-barrel to 10" just for giggles.

Yes, I am aware now, someone already corrected me. I cannot recall where i claimed to have gotten my info then.
I think years ago, we couldn't hunt in WA with .357's but obviously somewhere along the line, it changed. I don't keep back date hunting regs so can't verify the year but I was conscious of it happening at the time. Maybe around 2001? .357's used to be underpriced at the gun shows for this reason.

When I down-sized lately, I kept three revolvers, two .38's and one .357, the latter a four inch. The four inch preference was strictly an all-around compromise as to utility.

my revolvers 9-2021.JPG

I love my .357's a pair of Pythons 4.25" and 6", a 686 6", and a model 27 6" looking for a 627 and a Marlin, Winchester, or Henry in .357... Now lets not talk about .45 LC have a fair amount of those too... My partner might have wished I stuck with shoes and purses like other women,

I always preferred 6 to 6.5 inch length barrels in 357Magnum d/a and s/a revolvers in Smith and Wesson and in the Ruger brands using 357Magnum and 38Special and Plus P loads.

(I did have one - only one SWEET Ruger Blackhawk in 45Long Colt with a 7.5 inch barrel. Tack driver! I was gifted 2 sweet S&W Model 29's that I did not ask for. A -2 and a -3. I used 44 Specials in them more than 44Magnum but I did not shoot them TONS compared to the 45Long Colt, 357Magnum caliber handguns and 22lr s/a and d/a revolvers.)

In my former state, you had to have a 6 inch barrel if you wanted to hunt using a handgun. I did not hunt back there and I still do not hunt out here. I do like to fish.

I owned a couple of shorter barrel lengths but I personally believe that I shot MUCH better using a longer than 3 inch barrel even though I did well with a S&W Model 317 and Model 60.

If your holster fits you well and if your gun FITS your HAND WELL and fits your wants and needs - get what suits you to a T.

I preferred LEATHER Triple K western belts and holsters. I had an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster that I did like in a black webbed fabric that suited me but some people scoff at them.

I was gifted and/or tried out some smaller expensive leather holsters for the 3 inch barrel d/a revolvers but with those guns - I preferred using a FANNY PACK with a section of it's own. I gave those holsters back to my husband.

Cate
PS: The 'house gun' that belonged to my late husband was a famous and VERY pretty Dan Wesson d/a revolver (Model?) in 357Magnum. It had a 6 or 6.5 inch (?) length barrel. I CRS now on the EXACT length and I was NOT into guns at the time other than a BASIC TOOL for self defense in the home AND for the RKBA issue.

That was the first gun that I ever shot. The BALANCE was comfortable to me and it's wooden grip FIT MY HAND fine even if I am a smaller lady but I do not have tiny hands or large hands.

Obviously you shoot them. But other than having a bit of fun, they long barrel guns don't seem overly practical. I rarely do much with mine, so I'm contemplating selling them while prices are insanely high.

Any particular reason I should keep? I've got some snubbies, a 3" SP101, and a 4" GP100. So it's not like I'd miss a 6" too much.
They were practical, beautiful to look at and the weight/size in carrying them or in shooting them did NOT bother me at all.

I actually PREFERRED them as I just wrote in my previous post to you.

I enjoyed shooting my former handguns with LONGER barrels very much!

With that said, if YOU do not like the bit of extra weight or don't like the SIZE of the handgun in ANY style or brand or material... sell it or them and get what you REALLY will use a LOT and enjoy!

People are LOOKING for quality made revolvers from what I gather.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

What would I do with a 6" .357?

Cut two inches off!
I understand the velocity difference between 4" (3", too) compared to 6", but I am not a fan of longer barreled revolvers. I'm still sorta looking for a pre lock 4" 686 to replace the one I shouldn't have sold...

From 6-10 inches the 357 becomes a viable distance/hunting cartridge shorter than that you might as well be shooting 38 special. So much is lost in unburned powder and recoil in a short 357, I see a big muzzle flash as nothing but a waste.
With Blue-Dot loaded at Max, the 4" will push a 158gr very quickly. I'd have to dig to find chrono results cuz it's been so long, but there's very little difference between that load in a 4" or a 6".
I was making 50% hits on 10" steel plates with my 6" 686 at 85 yards for giggles.
686+ 4". Most of my practice was at 50 yards. Shooting at rocks on a hillside at 110 wasn't that difficult with consistent hits.
This, to me is 357 perfection. Stupidly sold it when I thought the 10mm was the way to go.
686+.JPG 686+ cylinder.JPG

This has been my daily for quite a while now. I'll shoot it over the chrono next time I have it set up. It's not comfortable with heavy loads, but it carries very nicely and I can hit well with it, even in DA.
60 wood.jpg 20210116_075731.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top