JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
General speaking I'd rather have a 4" over a 6", but 5" is the magic number IMO.
For me it's 3

3 is the magic number 20200411_155148.jpg 20201119_200424.jpg

Years ago I bought a 3" model 29, .44 Mag., with the thought that it would be great to carry hiking or camping. It's just a big, heavy gun no matter how short the barrel. Sometime after that I found a S&W model 66, K-frame .357 mag, 4" barrel. In my opinion it's the perfect hiking/camping revolver, much lighter and better balanced.

If I carried concealed, I'd probably have a different view, but for what little I do ever carry, I carry an automatic or small revolver. The big revolvers are just for range use and occasional woods carry. Guns don't have to be practical for me to own them.

Just saying a nice blued revolver is harder to come by these days.
Stainless is probably more practical. But practicality isn't in question. Right?

I think you're right. Now that I have the 1988 4" GP100 stainless steel I'll probably sell the 1991 6" GP100 stainless steel, and keep the blue 1984 6" Security Six. It does not have a full lug barrel so it's a little more practical too.

I just like the look and balance of 6" revolvers best. Anything shorter is tolerated only because of need for less weight or conceal ability. Anything longer is tolerated only because greater muzzle velocity or ability to point shoot or less recoil is wanted.

I just like the look and balance of 6" revolvers best.
Yep, in reality the addl. 2" doesn't add much in the way of inconvenience and with the right holster can carry well.

I've only owned one 6" .357 (a nickel plated Trooper) and don't recall having any trouble with 'field' carrying it. I wish I still had it but that another story!

I'm frequently conflicted.....

You know....I only have two hands. But many handguns.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....you could always ask HER, what length would do it for her (would be ideal).

Last Edited:
Believe it or not, there was a time when, although there were exceptions, we didn't all carry concealed as we do so easily now.

So, when we were out in the woods, and we mostly open carried, there was no reason to not carry the best handgun possible. Many of the 6" revolvers fit this scheme. They just plain do everything better than a little tiny plastic pistol, other than carry a lot of rounds. When a gun shoots really well, and has substantial power, we don't always need 17 rounds.

It keeps coming up, a 6" revolver is hard to conceal, and it's oh-so heavy. I've carried a lot of very large revolvers, both open carried and concealed. I have really great leather, and although I might carry a large revolver differently than a plastic pistol, I still can carry a large revolver very comfortably and can carry it very concealed. I s'pose part of that is I care more about carrying than I do about fashion.

I would prefer to carry a large revolver, openly, than any little pistol, concealed.

Compete with your 6" revolvers. PPC is a six inch revolver game, plus there are lots of national revolver matches.
Six inch revolvers are a great training aid too. Bowling pin competitions can be won with revolvers, shoot some steel plates too.

Guns tend to cycle in trends. My recent purchase include a Smith Performance Center 686 plus in .357 magnum and a Kimber K6S DAO in .357 magnum. I bought both of them because the are bad bubblegum pistols. The performance center gun will be a range use / pleasure shooting pistol, the Kimber may see some use a a concealed carry but my Sig P365 will likely remain my go to as it checks all the boxes the Kimber does with higher capacity.

When it comes to revolvers, the perfect barrel length seems to be four inches as it is somewhat concealable yet offer enough barrel length for limited hunting use.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top