JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It should also be noted that the Barrel Profile of the Model-27 is that of the Model-29/57 while the Highway Patrolman is much more of a Pencil Barrel Profile. And of the several different Barrel Lengths(3-1/2", 4", 5", 6", & 8-3/8" ) the Model-27 came in I personally like the 5" the Best.
I believe that you are mistaken. My Model 28 has the same tapered barrel that every Model 27 I have seen has. The Model 27 was offered with different barrel lengths than the 28, but the barrel thickness and taper were identical. The Model 57 and 29 have more of a bull non-tapered barrel, definitely different from the other N frame revolvers. The major differences between them are the finish and custom options available on the fancier Model 27.

• The .38 Specials are an absolute delight to shoot. Almost no felt recoil at all and I could plink away with said for a very long time.
Part of why I yearn for a Model 15 (or a 67).
Sounds like you are one contented gun owner.
Good for you Gent! :s0155:
...I'll have to stop by some time and try out that Sangria of yours, too. ;)

Dean

@CountryGent I too got a 686 this last Saturday. And i took it out today also. About 200 rounds of 38 and 357 with same results as you found. Sounds like we found ourselves a winner!
20190901_173516.jpg

Part of why I yearn for a Model 15 (or a 67).
Sounds like you are one contented gun owner.
Good for you Gent! :s0155:
...I'll have to stop by some time and try out that Sangria of yours, too. ;)

Dean

Ever down this way, most assuredly, the Sangría will flow freely. Shoot whatever you wish on this humble patch. We will fill you up with so much food, you'll, to quote my father, "need to go up a notch on the belt." :s0155:

...btw, almost forgot about this one.
The grips are only available on "special" model Smith's, like your Deluxe.
They're apparently patterned after the Altamont Roper grip.

I didn't realize. Altamont makes a darn fine grip. I've ordered a great many over the years; those that didn't work, they processed the return so smooth. Good people and such customer service is so rare these days. :)

Glad it arrived too. When things settle down at work, I'm going to take better pics and list it for sale. Still a whole lot of nothing concerning the $50 "inconvenience payment". Oh well.

SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 66'S WITH 4 OR 6" BARRELS CAN BE FOUND USED/IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AT A MODERATE PRICE IF YOU LOOK AROUND A BIT. IF YOU WANT A LITTLE HEAVIER THEN GO TO 686 AND THEY EVEN MAKE A 686+ THAT HOLDS 7 ROUNDS OF 357.

THAT STINKS ABOUT THE REPLACEMENT DEAL, BUT ID STAY ON EM A BIT AND PRESS THEM TO MAKE IT RIGHT IN A "BIGGER" WAY. IVE HAD SIMILAR THINGS GO ON WITH DIFFERENT COMPANIES BUT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FAIRLY HAPPY IN THE END. SHAME THEY ARE NOT STEPPING UP TO MAKE YOU A HAPPY CUSTOMER.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

I had to send in a my Rossi 97206 in due to a recall. The deal is they would repair anything required, pay for shipping both ways, and provide $50 for the hassle. Fair enough, I sent it in. I get a call just now saying they can't repair it, but they will replace it. But, wait, they no longer make the 97206, so they'll send another wheelgun. My one and only option? A blued, Taurus 605 snub. So, I send in a full-size, six-shot, stainless steel, .357 Magnum and they are replacing it with a small, five-shot, 2" barrel snubbie that is worth less than the aforementioned. Since it isn't an exact replacement, they have to send it to an FFL, which fortunately I have, but that would have been an extra kick in nether regions if I didn't. And I have yet to see a $50 check. WTF Rossi? :mad:

Anyway, being that I already have a Taurus 605 and don't need another snub, I'm going to sell it and buy an actual replacement. On that score, can anyone recommend a revolver that is:

• Full-size.
  • 6-shot or more capacity.
  • Stainless steel.
  • Decent quality fit and finish.
  • Decent trigger pull.
  • 6" barrel.
  • Adjustable sights.
  • Decent aftermarket support with respect to custom grips.
  • Not some oddball manufacturer that will make obtaining parts a PITA.
  • Not crazy expensive.
To answer the "what for" question:

• Shooting metallic silhouettes. (Standard sized chicken, pig, turkey, and ram.)
  • Shooting bowling pins.
  • Holster carry when on my own property.
  • Maybe carry while hiking.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Ruger, though I am open to a Smith or other manufacturer. Thanks for any recommendations. :)

RUGER REVOLVERS, BABY!! :s0115:

894B0687-C9E3-423F-ADE2-297FFEF8A309.jpeg 851466DF-0813-4F8E-8B15-9394E2EF37B2.jpeg

Although....... older S&W's are pretty terrific.

Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?! :D

626C80BD-CDD0-4839-830D-E9EFE0154E76.jpeg

To the OP - did you get you new replacement? I would consider selling my Taurus Tracker 6 in, stainless 7-shot, and maybe my Dan Wesson blued 6 in, 6 shot.

In my sojourn in California, I had the chance to buy a Highway Patrolman for a song. Funds were tight in that era, so I passed. Still kick myself.

Interesting. It does indeed check all the boxes. And Ruger, at least in my experience, has always been very good about support with parts, etc.
I had to send in a my Rossi 97206 in due to a recall. The deal is they would repair anything required, pay for shipping both ways, and provide $50 for the hassle. Fair enough, I sent it in. I get a call just now saying they can't repair it, but they will replace it. But, wait, they no longer make the 97206, so they'll send another wheelgun. My one and only option? A blued, Taurus 605 snub. So, I send in a full-size, six-shot, stainless steel, .357 Magnum and they are replacing it with a small, five-shot, 2" barrel snubbie that is worth less than the aforementioned. Since it isn't an exact replacement, they have to send it to an FFL, which fortunately I have, but that would have been an extra kick in nether regions if I didn't. And I have yet to see a $50 check. WTF Rossi? :mad:

Anyway, being that I already have a Taurus 605 and don't need another snub, I'm going to sell it and buy an actual replacement. On that score, can anyone recommend a revolver that is:

• Full-size.
  • Stainless steel.
  • Decent trigger pull.
  • 6" barrel.
  • Adjustable sights.
  • Not crazy expensive.

• Shooting metallic silhouettes. (Standard sized chicken, pig, turkey, and ram.)
  • Shooting bowling pins.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Ruger, though I am open to a Smith or other manufacturer. Thanks for any recommendations. :)
Check out my Highway Patrolmen no dash.

• Full-size.
  • Stainless steel.
  • Decent trigger pull.
  • 6" barrel.
  • Adjustable sights.
  • Not crazy expensive.

• Shooting bowling pins.

This is bogus, escalate to someone at a higher level. Or, have them refund the purchase price, or cut you a check for the value of the revolver.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top