JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recessed cylinder and pinned barrel, they halted the practice in '82.
Ohhhh.... One of these... IMG_20181126_195842158.jpg

The Ruger GP100 checks all the boxes and is built like a tank:

Another vote from me for the GP100.

Only, they're not built like tanks. Tanks are built like a GP100.

Unless you're dead set on a 6" barrel length, try shooting one that has a 5" barrel. Great balance to those.

If you find yourself in my neck of the woods, you can stop by and test drive mine.

That's a bum story @CountryGent doesnt do Taurus any favors on the gun world.

I'd e absolutely pissed off getting a lessor gun in return over a fixed gun.

As for replacement, my one and only revolver is a Ruger. I'd stick with them if I were to get another.

I am sad to say Taurus has lost me as a customer. We have a couple other Rossi firearms and a Taurus revolver, and like them, but those are the last ones. Even though Rossi isn't a "name" brand, the revolver they won't return was a surprisingly well-balanced tack driver. Oh well, there are worse things in this world.

Roger that on the Ruger. I'm more and more headed in that direction. As she shoots silhouettes too, though generally not full sized wheel guns, I'm going to talk it over with the wife after she gets home from the city. :)

S&W 66-1 (top revolver below). Pinned and recessed. Got it at the Portland gun show for $600 a couple of years ago. Very accurate and fun to shoot with .38 Specials. Can shoot .357 Magnum but not large numbers of full-power jacketed bullet loads. Same thing with the nickel Model 19 (bottom revolver below), also purchased at the Portland gun show on a different day.

DSC_0316_zpsevl2qs6e.jpg

If you want to shoot large numbers of full power .357 Magnum get a S&W L-frame Model 686. I got this one on Gunbroker.com.

QA14cCP.jpg

Those are the old-school pre-lock S&W revolvers I prefer. The latest thing is 7 or 8 shot .357 revolvers. Just a little over your budget is the Smith and Wesson 627 Performance Center Stainless .357 Mag 8-shot with a 5" barrel, which is my favorite barrel length 627 Performance Center .357 Mag 5 8 Round Stainless Smith and Wesson 170210

170210_01_lg_1.jpg

If you are willing to go with a 4" barrel you can save some money with the Smith and Wesson 627 Pro Series Stainless .357 Mag 4-inch 8Rd 627 Pro Series .357 Mag 4 8 Round Stainless Smith and Wesson 178014

Even cheaper is the Smith and Wesson 686 Deluxe Stainless / Wood .357 Mag 6-inch 7Rd Adjustable Sight S&W 686 357 Adjustable Sights .357 Mag Smith and Wesson 150712

150712_01_lg_1_0.jpg

I had to send in a my Rossi 97206 in due to a recall. The deal is they would repair anything required, pay for shipping both ways, and provide $50 for the hassle. Fair enough, I sent it in. I get a call just now saying they can't repair it, but they will replace it. But, wait, they no longer make the 97206, so they'll send another wheelgun. My one and only option? A blued, Taurus 605 snub. So, I send in a full-size, six-shot, stainless steel, .357 Magnum and they are replacing it with a small, five-shot, 2" barrel snubbie that is worth less than the aforementioned. Since it isn't an exact replacement, they have to send it to an FFL, which fortunately I have, but that would have been an extra kick in nether regions if I didn't. And I have yet to see a $50 check. WTF Rossi? :mad:

Anyway, being that I already have a Taurus 605 and don't need another snub, I'm going to sell it and buy an actual replacement. On that score, can anyone recommend a revolver that is:

• Full-size.
  • 6-shot or more capacity.
  • Stainless steel.
  • Decent quality fit and finish.
  • Decent trigger pull.
  • 6" barrel.
  • Adjustable sights.
  • Decent aftermarket support with respect to custom grips.
  • Not some oddball manufacturer that will make obtaining parts a PITA.
  • Not crazy expensive.
To answer the "what for" question:

• Shooting metallic silhouettes. (Standard sized chicken, pig, turkey, and ram.)
  • Shooting bowling pins.
  • Holster carry when on my own property.
  • Maybe carry while hiking.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Ruger, though I am open to a Smith or other manufacturer. Thanks for any recommendations. :)
"crazy expensive" is relative, depending on which century you're pricing base is located (personally, I think all new guns are outrageously priced, but that's my issue).
...anyway...
Off the top of my head, Ruger GP100 is the first thing that comes to mind.
Either that or any of the 7-8 shot wheel guns out there should work for you.
I just figure, if you're going to go full size, why saddle yourself with 6 shots when you don't necessarily have to.

Dean

The Smith and Wesson Model-27 is the Full Dressed version of the Highway Patrolman and the ones I have Owned and Shot. Personally, I think they're worth the extra Money.

I'm a fan of the SP101 line. This bad boy would be my second if I were to get another revolver.

1566263097181.jpeg

The Smith and Wesson Model-27 is the Full Dressed version of the Highway Patrolman and the ones I have Owned and Shot. Personally, I think they're worth the extra Money.
Orignally, those were the Registered Magnum guns.
Highly sought after these days.

Dean

@CountryGent

I have a Smith & Wesson model 27-2 pinned and recessed with three T's and presentation case I could part with to a good home if you are interested. Hit me up via PM if you have any interest.

I don't have any pictures of it, but I'll snap a few when I get a chance for you.

I had to send in a my Rossi 97206 in due to a recall. The deal is they would repair anything required, pay for shipping both ways, and provide $50 for the hassle. Fair enough, I sent it in. I get a call just now saying they can't repair it, but they will replace it. But, wait, they no longer make the 97206, so they'll send another wheelgun. My one and only option? A blued, Taurus 605 snub. So, I send in a full-size, six-shot, stainless steel, .357 Magnum and they are replacing it with a small, five-shot, 2" barrel snubbie that is worth less than the aforementioned. Since it isn't an exact replacement, they have to send it to an FFL, which fortunately I have, but that would have been an extra kick in nether regions if I didn't. And I have yet to see a $50 check. WTF Rossi? :mad:

Anyway, being that I already have a Taurus 605 and don't need another snub, I'm going to sell it and buy an actual replacement. On that score, can anyone recommend a revolver that is:

• Full-size.
  • 6-shot or more capacity.
  • Stainless steel.
  • Decent quality fit and finish.
  • Decent trigger pull.
  • 6" barrel.
  • Adjustable sights.
  • Decent aftermarket support with respect to custom grips.
  • Not some oddball manufacturer that will make obtaining parts a PITA.
  • Not crazy expensive.
To answer the "what for" question:

• Shooting metallic silhouettes. (Standard sized chicken, pig, turkey, and ram.)
  • Shooting bowling pins.
  • Holster carry when on my own property.
  • Maybe carry while hiking.
I'm heavily leaning towards a Ruger, though I am open to a Smith or other manufacturer. Thanks for any recommendations. :)

That SUCKS big time. As for replacement? If you want new, Ruger GP hands down. As most here know by now I am NOT a wheel gun guy. They just don't do much for me. Even I, when I see and handle the newest GP line, I want one. They are very damn nice.

Been snooping around various vendors. This version of the GP100 caught my eye because it is a seven-shooter.

View attachment 609879

In your price range that is the one that tickles me the most. Under $700 out the door for me so you would get it closer to $600 for you.
The higher end Competition model which is an 8 shot and just over 1K (my out the door price) is another one that even for me looks like a LOT of fun for the cost. :D

What are you going to use it for?
I have a Ruger GP100 6 inch half lug that I really like as a range gun.
But it is a bit heavy to carry even when out in the woods.
I have been thinking about trading it out for a SP101 as pictured above with a shorter barrel, 4 or 5 inch tops and less weight for woods carry. Less weight is the key here for me if I am going to carry it.
I would also be fine with a S&W. The Ruger just feels better in my hand/grip. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top