Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

5R VS 7R RIFLING

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Hardwood floor guy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Beaverton Active Member

I am trying to figure out what barrel would be best for my new build.
    In theory it seems that a 5r rifled barrel would be more stable with more bullet contact than a 7r polygonal rifled barrel.
    however a 7r barrel making less contact would mean less resistance which in turn could also make better accuracy.

I cant seem to find much info on which is really better on the internet because if a guy has a 5r it's the best but if a guy has an 7r then it's the best.typical jive in gun forums that nobody wants to admit their gun is not the best but what
    in theory would really be the most accurate overall?...i know twist rate plays a major factor in accuracy and stability
    but givin they are both 1.7twist barrels which is better?

also is stainless superior to chromemolly vanadium?(not chrome lined)in accuracy and why?

2. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Who makes a 7r barrel? I couldn't google up any info on it.
    The 5R is pretty awesome and it's what goes on the Army's $6,000 M24 sniper rifles so I think it's safe to say that's a good tube.
    Remington 700 Milspec 5R - Sniper Central

3. KLeptoLee

KLeptoLee Fort Indiantown Gap New Member

4. doubletap007

doubletap007 Beaverton Active Member

rock creek does make a 7r barrel also lmt or lwrc i think i seen that option too.