JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...kill us?
...be delayed
... prevented by the Airlines
... overhyped

Airlines warn of "catastrophic" 5G aviation "crisis" tomorrow - The next administration debacle?

There are 2 5g standards. Because of course there are.
6G is being tested.

The one in question is UB Ultra Wide Band - that is the high performance version, the one you want.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...nst-plans-to-launch-5g-services-near-airports

It takes special kind of stupid to build an aircraft that can be taken down by a cell phone.... Just sayin'

We were doing a switchboard upgrade on one of the boats a few years back. The Siemens guy saw us using radios and started freaking out, claiming we were going to crash the switchboard. We were like, seriously, this is a ship. We use radios all the damn time. Why would you build a marine switchboard that can't handle VHF noise?

Turned out he was full of BS, the switchboard worked just fine, I suspect the planes will too. If they don't, lots of people who build airplanes need to find another line of work.

It takes special kind of stupid to build an aircraft that can be taken down by a cell phone.... Just sayin'

We were doing a switchboard upgrade on one of the boats a few years back. The Siemens guy saw us using radios and started freaking out, claiming we were going to crash the switchboard. We were like, seriously, this is a ship. We use radios all the damn time. Why would you build a marine switchboard that can't handle VHF noise?

Turned out he was full of BS, the switchboard worked just fine, I suspect the planes will too. If they don't, lots of people who build airplanes need to find another line of work.
Knowing NOTHING about how this works my guess was more hype too. If the planes could be brought down this easy would not people who want to do this have done it already?

Keeping in mind that the developers of broadband wireless standards don't necessarily consult other industries that may or may not be impacted by their tech, the airplane problem is actually a pretty big deal. I talked to the in-resident pilot in my family, and they shared why:

"We use 'radio altimeters' to measure our exact height above the ground when making approaches to the runway in extremely low-visibility weather (e.g., fog.) 5G signals may interfere with altimeters, making those approaches potentially unsafe."

His use of 'may' is appropriate because while they have data and experience, the sense of how wide a risk isn't exactly known.

In the future it'd be good for the FCC and FAA to get together and discuss upgrades or hardening efforts needed in order to roll to whatever the next version of tech is. Shared goals aren't exactly a new idea. It might slow things a little, but it sure beats having something highlighted like this for the world to see.

The more I read on this the more convinced I am this is just another "lets panic" hoax. All I keep reading is "may" and "some speculate" and a lot of other stuff like this. So they are saying no one is capable of testing this? I guess its still 1950 and no one has invented a way to test this idea. Instead I am supposed to believe I am supposed to panic. Sure.

It's a big deal in terms of money, politics, and safe & efficient air travel—not aircraft being "taken down by a cell phone", or news media consumers panicking

Radio altimeters, Autoland systems, Ground Proximity Warning Systems, and Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems are in a nearby frequency band. The FCC doesn't understand or care how the FAA certifies equipment, and the telecoms bid tens of billions of dollars for more frequency to work with. A study on the possible interference was done by an independent organization which the FCC called inconclusive. More comprehensive tests haven't been done. Right now the solution is to not fly the approaches or departures that require these (or tell pilots who are trained to trust their instruments to not trust their instruments) if there's a 5g tower operating too close to the airport, which means inevitable weather cancellations and a lot of angry airlines and passengers.

What I gathered anyway, take it with several grains of salt and a chill pill

Last Edited:
Emirates president calls 5G rollout fiasco the 'most delinquent mess he's seen in
his entire career'
and blames Pete Buttigieg for doing nothing to stop the chaos after
dozens of flights were canceled - and then uncanceled

WHICH AIRPORTS DON'T HAVE BUFFERS?

The government will not provide a full list of the major airports that normally welcome 777s but won't be able to without a 5G buffer.
They have issued a list of the airports that do have buffers, from which these airports are missing;
NEWARK
BOSTON
MEMPHIS
ATLANTA
DENVER
SALT LAKE CITY
BALTIMORE
TAMPA
HONOLULU
PORTLAND --- Oregon? Or one of the many other Portlands - Maine, Texas, etc
NEW ORLEANS
CLEVELAND
CINCINNATI

Portlands:
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Maine
Michigan
Missouri
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Wisconsin

Emirates Airline president: The 5G snafu is the biggest screwup I've witnessed in my career.

Last Edited:
download.jpeg

ess_spectrum_used_by_5G_networks-a-9_1642524718198.jpg

And remember, the 'space' or frequency range, is public. Corporations have to bid, billions, to use a particular range. All controlled by TPTB.

Ronnie would have fired these idiots by now.
Mean Tweets would have had this negotiated.
Meanwhile, I am sure this is racist or anti-trans.

I have a suspicion that the Media need something to create a panic about....
.... so they don't need to cover something else, like Russia/Ukraine, like massive demonstrations around the world against vax Id/mandates, like trucker demonstrations at the northern border crossings, like gas price/inflation spiking, like China's human rights abuses..... etc....etc.... :mad:

sounds alot like Whyyyyyyyy tooo kaaaaaayyyyy :rolleyes:
Was waiting to post exactly that (well maybe with more o's) if no one else did.

As usual, someone is going to make bank on this thing. My only question will be do they have any connection, direct or indirect, with the people who let this happen. I find it hard to believe there weren't warnings very early on into this thing.

Stick to old rusty boats, hope you're good at it. Leave the flying to us.

The aircraft is not being brought down by a cell phone. A critical instrument reading can be, in rare cases, disrupted by the 5G signal. The pilots rely on that signal and at 200Kts, on final approach, in IFR conditions or at night, things happen a bit fast. The issue may be real or not, but it needs testing before you have an airliner drive itself into a runway. The testing will take time. Each radio altimeter is a complex piece of machinery and there are multiple variations of component combinations that all need testing and certification. The airlines can't just throw parts onto the plane and call it good. Each part is certified per FAA and the FAA moves slow. Maybe too slow, but one only has to look at the 737max to see what lack of oversight can lead to.

The 5G rollout has been a mess, all around, but I rather see the government cut the legs from under Verizon and AT&T than see an aircraft being endangered.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top