JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It may be a misdomener, but you also have to look at it from a political angle. After the law was passed I'm sure the pro-i594 side were desperate to show "its working". So far all I've seen is one poorly written story about a denial at a gun show that may or may not have been from a private seller, denied for unknown reasons. Now that the legislature is debating fixing i594, the gun-control side (and the politicians who support them) might be tempted to make a public example of someone thru the only too willing public media in Seattle.

It may have been a sting operation, it may have been for reasons mentioned above. But I wouldn't say "no" to a sting operation for a highly public bill when they are desperate to show success.

I had a weird situation the other day.
I have my 38 on armslist and the person wasn't doing the email thing but I had given her my phone number.

She called me and was telling me how her husband was against guns but she had handled guns in the past. 9mm, 40, and 357, she was trying to tell me she was assaulted the other day and needed a gun. I said we need to go through a ffl and if she had a Cpl there was no wait time. She said she didn't know the law but then said it was a 10 day period. I said sorry about your situation but I need to do a ffl transfer to cover my butt. She continued to try and guilt me into it. She said she would call me back. I never heard again.

))/ of course they are setting us up. The lady spoke like a Leo. The way she was pushing it. It reminded me of the prostitution stings they set up

Definitely. For now, assume that someone is setting you up.

Even if that isn't true, you have to obey the law in this regard because it can come back to bite you if you don't, even if the other party isn't trying to set you up.

I had a weird situation the other day.
I have my 38 on armslist and the person wasn't doing the email thing but I had given her my phone number.

She called me and was telling me how her husband was against guns but she had handled guns in the past. 9mm, 40, and 357, she was trying to tell me she was assaulted the other day and needed a gun. I said we need to go through a ffl and if she had a Cpl there was no wait time. She said she didn't know the law but then said it was a 10 day period. I said sorry about your situation but I need to do a ffl transfer to cover my butt. She continued to try and guilt me into it. She said she would call me back. I never heard again.

))/ of course they are setting us up. The lady spoke like a Leo. The way she was pushing it. It reminded me of the prostitution stings they set up

May not even be an LEO, but someone that's part of the Bloomie campaign hoping they can show evidence that folks are trying to go around 594. All they may want is a few folks to say 'yes' to a sale outside an FFL using some sob story, then cut off contact so as not to risk violating the law themselves. They could then check that person off as another person willing to skirt the law (though they have no real evidence). They could then take that information to the authorities and let them know that back-door deals are happening, which could encourage them to take up the idea of a sting. I don't trust the Bloomie folks, I think they're willing to do just about anything to get their anti-gun laws passed and strengthened.

A couple of years ago I had a guy try to get me to do a deal across state lines, without an FFL involved. When I told him I wouldn't do it, he got mad, my last response to him was a link to the ATF website stating the law on interstate transfers, and that was that. Whether it's a 594 misdemeanor, or federal law, none of it is worth getting arrested and possibly losing your rights.

Maybe her story was on the level, and maybe she was just ignorant and afraid. I hope if she really needs one, she'll follow the rules.

As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't look or feel right, or if someone asks me to go around the law, the deal is over, period. It's not worth it to become a potential notch in their belts, giving them more ammo (pun intended) to use against pro-2A folks. It's best everyone follow the law to the letter, at least until the legal process can possibly suspend or rescind all or part of 594.

I know the OP was not wondering whether to go through with the transaction or not, just wondering if this was a setup - but always bear in mind that when you skirt around the law and someone else is a party to that action, that for as long as the statute of limitations is in play, that this person has something they can use against you.

If they get in trouble down the road, this person may very well be inclined to "throw you under the bus" in order to get themselves out of trouble. There are very few people (maybe 3, certainly no more) in the world I trust enough that they wouldn't do that to me (or that I would willingly go that far for), and I certainly don't trust some Joe Blow off the street that much.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!
As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't look or feel right, or if someone asks me to go around the law, the deal is over, period. It's not worth it to become a potential notch in their belts, giving them more ammo (pun intended) to use against pro-2A folks. It's best everyone follow the law to the letter, at least until the legal process can possibly suspend or rescind all or part of 594.
Yep!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

594 Has Not Been Codified Into Law Yet. Check It Out! Until Then Feel Free To Condition Yourself Into It, By Prematurely Paying The "KING" And Yes I Understand Most Of Us Law Abiding Folks Don't Want Any Problems.

ATF has no jurisdiction and probably no interest in I-594 violations. It is a STATE law only, no Federal enforcement possible.
Not the law?? Please give a link to a credible source for this information. By WA state law initiatives become law 30 days after being passed unless otherwise specifically written into the initiative.
I don't know where the Clark County Sheriff stands, but most of the county Sheriffs have said they won't enforce it unless forced to, so I think a sting operation is highly unlikely.

2586597_13_pink_glock_26_w_truglo_fiber_o_640.jpg

If this is the Hags Demanding Attention running some kind of hidden video scheme, then that is against the law. Recording devices must be in the open in Washington and Oregon. If they are doing this, then they are breaking the law, unless they are working under the supervision of LE.

I say if any potential seller or buyer looks suspicious and you have that gut feeling, not only back out of the deal, but snap their picture or roll your own video, even if it's just from your phone. Get their face, name, car, plate... Post it up to YouTube. Public embarasment is a weapon that can never be under used.

Yes, I am a professional.

It was probably one of two things YM:
1) Midget hookers in Vancouver are by default shady characters.
2) They were could have been a citizen buyer/seller trying to feel you out to see if you'd refuse to comply with I-594 or not. As strange as it may seem, there are people out there that refuse to follow laws they deem unjust.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top