JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Having yet to find a flintlock still, I've decided I really like the jaeger style rifles, and to be able to use the same ammunition as my springfield I'd like a .58. Trouble is most of the ones I find are extremely expensive or the wrong caliber, or they generally have a slow twist for roundballs. I'd prefer a fast twist for minies.

Is anyone aware of a good production gun or even a relatively easy to build kit with those parameters? It looks like track doesn't have jaeger kits anymore.

Just did a quick look at some sites that I have bookmarked...
No Jaeger rifles to be found...
Or if they had one...wrong caliber and or set up for round ball and not conical bullets.

Something to consider :
A traditional style Jaeger Rifle will be expensive as a quality flint lock is expensive to begin with..not to forget the carving , inlays and patchbox that are part of the rifle.

I'll do some more thinking and see if come up with a site for you.
Andy

RE Davis offers a kit....with brass furniture for $645...
RE Davis makes an excellent lock for sure.

Now with that said...the kit does not come with a barrel....the kit is inlet for a .54 Rice 31 inch barrel....maybe Rice has a 31 inch barrel in .58 caliber , with the same dimensions as their .54 barrel.....?
Andy

So I assumed the slow twist was for roundballs and a faster twist would be needed, but looking up the specs for the 1861 springfield it says the twist rate is 1:72 or 1:66 depending on the source, which is the same as the rice barrels. Will that slow twist work with a standard minie? Or does something else make those guns work?

I hadn't seen RE davis, I'll check those out. The other I was looking at was sitting fox, are those pretty good? I just dont want a kit that will take months of work with files and stuff like that, I dont own any machine tools.

Sitting Fox makes a nice gun....a kit in the "white" will be the best bet if you don't want a lot of hand work.
That said a Jaeger , will take some skill and work to put together.

In my experience slower twists like 1-72 and 1-66 generally do not work with with conical bullets...
Looking up a 1861 replica rifled musket...I see a 1-48 twist listed...that would work for both round ball or conicals....who made yours...?

Edit to add....depending on the era..
Most flintlock Jaeger rifles used a large caliber round ball....some later rifles in the percussion era , can be found set for conical bullets.
Andy

So apparently it's the 3 groove shallow rifling of the army muskets that let them use a slow twist with minies. If I used a rice barrel with 7 grooves I would for sure need a faster twist. I like your idea of 1:48 so it could be used for everything.

I dont mind some work, I just didnt want like rough castings and a square piece of wood, lol. It looks like RE davis kits have a lot of work done, although for my purposes the sitting fox in the white kit might be a better choice for a first build.

I understand a jaeger is probably not the ideal choice for a first build, but I really love the style and look.

Thanks Andy!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top