JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
PTR-91.

Edited now that I have a second.

The G3 type rifles are good for digesting even the filthiest of ammos.
Accuracy is good, and the ability to accessorize is about the same as the AR-10.
You can change barrels easier on the AR-10, but I'm not worrying about that in SHTF.

If you decide on a AR-10, go with the Stoner.

I would go M1A, but you didn't list it as an option.

You could pay a little more and get a HK 91.........

PTR mags are cheap, but accessories aren't, and those guns are awkward as ****. Have you shot/handled a PTR or AR10?

Before I bought my PTR, I researched the M1A, FAL, PTR, and AR10, and this is what I found out:
AR10
-expensive
-expensive mags
-should be the most accurate out of the guns listed, but likely the least reliable/durable of the bunch
-good ergos

M1A
-expensive
-expensive mags
-not easy to mount a scope on
-reliable
-likely the second most accurate after AR style rifles

FAL
-slightly cheaper (they were $1150 when I was looking to buy something)
-slightly cheaper mags
-regarded as the most reliable of the bunch (supposedly as reliable as an AK)
-regarded as the least accurate too though

PTR
-cheapest of the 4 (I paid $1099 for mine)
-by far the cheapest mags
-supposedly almost as reliable as the FAL, but more accurate
-ergonomics SUCK!
-stripping it sucks too

I wouldn't feel undergunned in a shtf situation with it, but I wish I had bought something more conventional instead.

Also, some of the PTRs won't cycle certain kinds of surplus ammo.

And one more thing, PTRs destroy brass....when you can even find them. I put 40rds through mine yesterday, and found only three brass.

It tosses them about 30 feet, leaves a bunch of ugly crap on the cases (from the flutes?), and dents the side of them.

It's not on your list, and not something you'd normally think of - but I'm pretty happy with my SAIGA .308. Eats whatever you feed it, and never a problem. One trigger pull - One bang. It's not my M-14 for accuracy, but good as anything else out to 600 yds. I have the short (16") barrelled version, I'd think the longer barrel (21") might help that out. Magazines are a little pricey, but the low cost of the rifle (599.00) makes up for it.

PTR gets my vote. and I like the way it feels better than the M1-A, Like the feel of the AR-10 but the PTR is **** for stout. Mine shoots 168g match kings under MOA. also field strips as easy as anything else, 2 pins and your done. very reliable.

Here is a little unknown factoid... the Greeks are the last country that I know of that still use the G3 (HK91,PTR91, blah blah blah....) platform. When they deploy they issue each soldier three rifles. One for issue and two in the arms to replace theirs when it breaks. Also the G3 is also the only battle rifle that needs a receiver gauge to to verify that the side walls aren't crushed in and unusable.

FALs are great rifle but will always be doomed in accuracy with the rear sight on the lower receiver and the front sight attached to the upper.

Another and much cheaper option would be a Saiga in .308. Easier to convert than the other Saiga rifles, a proven platform time and time again and hey... it's an AK! The biggest down fall in my opinion is the magazine. Never adopted by any nations military and the only hi-cap options when I was looking at them are in plastic.

Since that wasn't an option I guess you can do what you want with my opinion.

SF-

how much truth does that hold anyone know?

thanks guys

JP1985

There is a forum member here named parsons, he was on the same deployment in Afghanistan with me. As for the AR-10 platform why don't you google and research the SR-25 performance in Afghanistan.

Both are splendid weapons but are both designed for and issued to highly skilled, trained, disciplined armies with echelons of professional logisticians who can support the weapon system.

As soon as you bring up SHTF, to me that means no UPS, Internet or credit card usage to order your spare parts or a nice warm peaceful gun room to clean guns after a nice sunny day at the range.

The G3 platform is popular used by a lot of people. It is a great weapon but it has limitations.

As for the AR-10 platform, well I have no first hand experience with them other than they are great when used in a static location and receive daily maintenance.

Seriously, google SR-25 knights armament performance in Afghanistan.

SF-

I'd throw another vote for the Saiga. How can you not choose the AK platform for a no maintenance no parts available weapon? You do that with other guns, and you'll be lucky to get 1 shot fired without a problem. Since that's not on your list though, i'd stay away from an AR platform for a no maintenance dirt gun.

I'm the one that told that story to Silver Fox. It was told to me by Greek Soldiers i worked with in Afghanistan in 2006. While they loved having a 7.62x51 and the fire power it provided the G3 rifles they had we simpliy a maintenance nightmare for the Soldier on the ground. Without getting to involved in this I would suggest that which ever rifle you choose become proficient not just in shooting it. be able to completely take it apart enough that if anything went wrong to include breakage of a major part ie. barrel, reciever bolt group be able to fix it. DO the research find out what breaks and keep parts on hand to replace them when they do.
This should be my $.02 but with the current inflation its now a $.25

JP1985-

Here is another homework assignment for you; why did the (West) Germans call the FAL the G1 while the HK 91 was dubbed the G3?

May give you some more insight on your choices.

SF-

JP1985-

Here is another homework assignment for you; why did the (West) Germans call the FAL the G1 while the HK 91 was dubbed the G3?

May give you some more insight on your choices.

SF-

FAL = G1
Sig = G2
CETME = G3
AR-10 = G4

It is only the military designation of the rifle. Like the AR-15 is designated M16 by the military.

It is the order in which they were trialed. The CETME won the trials for the DDR contract.

Not exactly true.

The G1 was the preferred rifle but the Belgiums wouldn't sell the license to manufacture to the West Germans (issues and hard feelings from the Nazi invasion and occupation) but would sell the rifle. The cost of the rifles is one the Germans did not want to pay so it was passed over.

SF-

Not exactly true.

The G1 was the preferred rifle but the Belgiums wouldn't sell the license to manufacture to the West Germans (issues and hard feelings from the Nazi invasion and occupation) but would sell the rifle. The cost of the rifles is one the Germans did not want to pay so it was passed over.

SF-

I better go back and study my history books. I musta missed that one.:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews