JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if anyone has any experience with 556 out of a barrel under 10in? I do not have a truck gun and leaning more towards the 556 PDW realm. I plan on going to a different system then an AR as DI seems to get finicky when dropped below this length. Not to get too deep into the caliber debate but just curious if anyone as any personal experience to speak on.

My thoughts: The bullet is still going over 2300-2200fps out to 100m, I want the bullet to be effective out to 100m (more than likely closer), SP ammo will mushroom out (vers tumble or break apart of fmj), its definitely more effective then 9mm at these ranges. Also I like the logistics of a platform that will take STANAG/ PMAGS and 556 chambering (If someone needs to throw me a mag or I pick one up I can stay in the game)

The Cons are obviously muzzle flash/blast. And obviously more velocity is better for the cartridge.

For a fun gun, I did 7.5 for a bit. Worked fine. Many out there have 7.5" that work just fine. Not sure where the under 10" gets finicky is from?

I did a 7.5 as well for a bit. Really fun. I never doubted its effectiveness at 100. I have since switched to a 10.5 SBR setup.

I run an 11.5 inch which is considered the absolute minimum length to still have reasonable ballistics at extended ranges, anything shorter and your really leaving a lot of performance on the table. I have tested this barrel length with most ammo and it works reasonably well, but don't expect sniper range or accuracy!

I run an 11.5 inch which is considered the absolute minimum length to still have reasonable ballistics at extended ranges, anything shorter and your really leaving a lot of performance on the table. I have tested this barrel length with most ammo and it works reasonably well, but don't expect sniper range or accuracy!
That's why I went back up to 10.5. :cool:

I understand that. Thats why I want it effective out to 100 meters.

10.5" can be REALLY portable if done right....and SBR'd. :D

I don't even have a picture with the folding adapter on (that's how it lives). It's REALLY compact folded. :)
IMG_0137.jpg

Give this a watch, while I don't take everything as gospel, this is pretty mush spot on with what I have experienced!
I like his opinion at times. Im really looking for SP effectiveness out of a short barrel from what Ive researched it shouldnt be an issue. Looking for someone to agree/ disagress and say why so.

Obviosly a longer barrel (in 556) is more effect im more so considering having to carry it with me.

I like his opinion at times. Im really looking for SP effectiveness out of a short barrel from what Ive researched it shouldnt be an issue. Looking for someone to agree/ disagress and say why so.

Obviosly a longer barrel (in 556) is more effect im more so considering having to carry it with me.
From my experience, your below the threshold of reliable expansion and terminal effects, basically giving up the advantages of having SP's and turning them into FMJ!

I run a 72 gr Hornady SP out of this shorty, they were made specifically to run at the slow end of the spectrum and still be very accurate and hit hard, and they open up very reliably, even at the far end of the ranges I expect to run them out to!

Just an FYI, the 62 gr "Green Tip" M-855 don't like short barrels at all, they do all sorts of funky stuff when they hit, very un reliable!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top