Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

55 Gallon Water Barrels / Drums

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by The Duck, Oct 30, 2012.

1. The Duck

The Duck Oregon Active Member

2. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks for the links.

For me personally though, I will not use used barrels for my drinking water unless I am certain where they came from and what they were previously used for. Even though the ad states they are clean -

Buyer beware

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of 60 gallon drums that were used for coke syrup.. also look for the mason jar types, great for dry storage of bulk foods and survival gear, Most of those will have been used to import Greek peppericinis.. in either case you can easily detect the odor

4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

20 gallon barrels are such a lot more manageable weight-wise.

5. Blitzkrieg

Yes, but I'm going to build a rack to house mine and use them for a gravity feed water tank system. I have a lot of smaller water toting bladders and barrels

You can get 15 gallon barrels free or cheap from home brew stores, they have syrup in them.. try to get ones that had lighter malts, easier to clean

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

7. Blitzkrieg

I bought my big barrels for $15 each and brew stores sell them for at most $15 (the 15 gallon types)

8. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

if you have a business license, call Azure Standard (Azure Standard - Quality Bulk & Natural Foods) in Dufur, OR.

Tell them you'd like to purchase used food grade drums. Last time I got them they were $25/ea for ones that were used for food grade hydrogen peroxide.

Azure is a great resource for bulk items... plus they supply New Seasons, Whole Foods and a number of other markets.

9. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Im in Washington but I have a source for 55 gal food grade barrels (just like the blue ones shown in your link) for $5/each... They had soy sauce in them but it seems to clean out ok... They generate maybe 20 barrels a week so there is always plenty available

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Too much.

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Thick wall plastic barrels?

12. Blitzkrieg

The blue ones are the real deal. Where in WA?

Mine are white and they are the same, just white

OH, and BTW I would recommend all of you buy an Alice pack frame, shoulder and belt systems, the optional shelf, and some 5 gallon Swiss water bladders for emergency transport of water from it's source

13. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Yep, the heavy wall blue barrels. My shop is in auburn and I would be willing to let folks pick up some there

14. Blitzkrieg

Once I get my big furniture moving Ford F350 back on the road maybe some of us Southenders can do a group buy. I can haul at least 30 of them and I'll want at least 10, myself

Even more I want more of the Mason jar type plastic barrels.. they can store water, bulk foods and can be used to cache as well. You can get the water out with any pitcher, no pump or spigot required

15. slightly disturbed

slightly disturbed Oregon City Active Member

I got my 55 and 35 and even 15 gal lid type from a lady in Estacada. they were 10 bucks each and were used for making energy drinks so they had sugar in them. I bleached then baking soda and a whole lotta rinsing and tasted the water after 2 months and it was good. I mainly use them to water my stock and garden with but I use the smaller ones for drinking water. I keep in regular contact with her and when she gets more she sends me a text. I can get them and then pass it on to someone who needs them.

16. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Have any of you been seen by your neighbors filling up water barrels - LOL. I get strange looks once a year. No, that tap will not work forever Mr Jones.

17. Blitzkrieg

I keep mine out of sight.. one of my neighbors are worse than clowns

18. Jablunty

Jablunty Vancouver Member

Next time some are available would you pm me? Thanks. I would jump on the other barrels but auburn is just to far from Vancouver.

19. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I usually buy my barrels from a place that makes BBQ sauce, average price is $8-10 for any barrel, he usually just gives me the steel ones for free (I use those for storing waste motor oil, and other nasties at the shop until I send it off for recycling), the plastic barrels usually contained soy sauce, or HFCS, the metal ones usually had powdered flavoring mix in them.

The trick I found for washing them out: oxyclean... fill the barrel about half with clean water, add a cup or two of oxyclean powder, seal it up, and then spend about 20 mins kicking it around your yard. If it has some nasty crud in it, throw in a handful of glass marbles.

The oxyclean does a good job of getting the soysauce taste out.

20. Blitzkrieg

Since waste motor oil has been mentioned, it can be used as chainsaw bar oil...