Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.50BMG Rifles

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by CaliberGeek, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CaliberGeek

CaliberGeek Seattle, WA Member

Is the boom worth the $bucks$?

My local gun shop has one for a bargain of $2500. It's breech single-loading, and weighs about 30lbs (which is standard for .50bmg rifles).

2. Glockman19

Glockman19 Hillsboro Active Member

If you buy it I am willing to sacrifice myself to drive up there and shoot it for you :gun02::gun02:

3. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

I say the number 1 question you need to ask yourself is .... Do I a place with range enough to give the BMG a workout? they are cool to shoot but at 2-3 hundred yards its pretty boring (unless of course you have something cool to blow up)

4. chowser2

chowser2 seaside Member

if you have an ar lower just buy a bohica arms upper for around 1k

5. CaliberGeek

oh wow, thanks for the heads up on this. This may seem like a viable value route.

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

For what you describe in a couple words I would say $2500 is not a bargain. If you want a good inexpensive single shot .50 take a look at Armalite AR-50.

7. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

This is my Bushmaster BA-50, .50 BMG rifle. It's a little more money than the single shots, but it is a 10 shot repeater that comes with 2 magazines, all packed in a nice die cut foam lined Storm Case. You have to decide if the cost is worth it or not. For me I'm glad I made the purchase and never looked back. Ammo can be had for around $2.50 a round if you shop around on the Internet. That's cheaper than a lot of the high performance Magnum rifle rounds on the market today. Nothing will put a smile on your face faster than pulling the trigger and touching off 230 grains of powder, and sending a 660 grain projectile downrange. For what it's worth, a magazine loaded with 10 rounds weighs 4.8 pounds!

BushmasterBA-50.jpg

BushmasterBA-5050BMGRifle2.jpg

gearhead and (deleted member) like this.
  8. CaliberGeek

What a beauty! That rifle by itself has more sex appeal than a victoria secret model!

gearhead and (deleted member) like this.
  9. drscoles

drscoles sammamish New Member

I just put a deposit on this... I want to get it before we can't get them... at least thats what I'm gonna tell my wife when the big box shows up. :D
    Screen shot 2012-04-03 at 11.50.31 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2012-04-03 at 11.50.31 AM.jpg

Asavage270 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

You'll be glad you did. You'll never forget this first time you pull the trigger!

11. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

Benihaus nailed it, IMO. If you have a place to shoot it at distance then mostly worth it. There's also the envy factor which is a little fun to force on your shooting buddies. But many times being unable to shoot it without driving about 2-3 hours is kind of a pain in the truckus.

I've got an M107 that looks pretty in my safe, but that's not what I bought it for. Any road trip east of the mountains and it goes with just for a chance to shoot.

12. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Ive owned a couple of 50's and can say there is nothing like getting in a truck to drive down and look at the target, Every time you pull the trigger the feeling is just like you where that kid at Christmas who got the nicest bike in town from his uncle... That said if you cant shoot it or cant afford to feed it it wont have near the same warm and fuzzy feeling..... Personally if I had it to do over Id save up and buy the best gun you can afford. I had a Iver Johnson that shot 15" groups at 1000 yards prone (I dont know why but we never bench shot the gun, if you had a rock solid bench maybe you could improve slightly) but that was about its limit no matter who shot it or what you fed it.... You get to a point if you shoot enough that what you really want is 15" groups at 1500 yards which takes a top notch firearm and matched ammo...

13. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

50's are great! Here are a couple of links to myself and my 21 year 'lightweight' daughter (she is shooting for the very first time .... check the grin at the very end). I have had my Bohica 30" for about a year now ..... graduated from the 26". Hope you enjoy .... :)

CRP50.AVI - YouTube

Randy 50BMG.mov - YouTube

14. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I fired an M107 in the Guard so I got to check that item off the bucket list for free. :)

It is an experience to say the least. Recoil isnt bad but the concussion from the muzzle brake envelops your body.
    If you have the money, I'd say go for it but stay away from Hesse or Vulcan arms. Go Barrett, Armalite or Serbu.
    I once bought a Desert Eagle .50AE just to see how it shoots so have fun but stay safe.

Here are a couple of pics from Gowen Field, Idaho. This is my Bradley driver shooting. We shot at some old trucks about 800 meters out. Spotter told me all of mine were right in the drivers windshield area... :)

Armyannualtraining014.jpg

Armyannualtraining015.jpg

15. sava6e

sava6e Portland Member

look, i was in your shoes a while back, i didnt want to drop the $$ to get a barrett or bluegrass and had tossed around the idea of the ar conversions, but i soon came to the understanding that why pay so much to get something that wasnt meant to really be, just take the plunge and get a real 50, i got my m99 and havnt looked back its been the best purchase. as for uppers there is a guy in i want to say medford oregon who makes some real slick looking ones Advanced Longerange Systems 50 bmg conversions