JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, would that be "a lot of lead". Not a S&w. discontinued Taurus

IMG_20200805_213914.jpg

Can you explain how that happens? shouldn't that leave residue? Obturate and obstructing is the same. How what? huh? I get you are saying that the lead created an obstrction in the Brake, however, how is that happening? you mean the projectile expanding while in the Brake, shouldn't that leave sone sort of lead trace??? Because the Brake is clean as a whistle. I have literally shot three rounds through a squeaky clean gun.
The brake was the "bore" obstruction. The huge gummy bear of a bullet grabbed it when it was free of the barrel proper.
I told you to think of .22lr velocity and pressure with pure lead bullets.

What the Hell. After reviewing footage, 39grain of W296 had "bulged" the muzzle brake a little. 40.1 grains of W296 tore it open. I didn't even notice but then went to reload another 42 grain W296 and saw it. 39gr was the minimum, 43grain the max load. My thought is, unburned powder exploaded in the Brake and created pressure. The recoil wasn't even that bad, step above my 357 but not bad indicating someting overpressured or anything. I'm mad.

View attachment 731640
Any way you can share the video with all of us armchair quarterbacks? I know I'd like to see it.

No. I loaded
I am late to this thread but am I to understand you loaded pure lead muzzle loader bullets with a 'full house' load of 296?
No, I loaded minimum loads and just barely above. Also, yes I understand, the bullet melts and obstructs the front hole, which in turn creates lots of pressure in the Brake. Dang. Stuuuupid mistake *facepalm* If thats what happened. I gotta edit the video first a little bit.

For the 500 I made a few different ones, using Trailboss (to begin with), Longshot and (minimum load) W296
Good God!
There is a dramatic difference between the 'speed' of trailboss and 296!

Correct me if I am wrong but are you referring to a 'minimum load' of 296 to be 39 grains?

Do you understand 296 is a very specialized powder that is only to be loaded according to it''s posted data with bullets listed for those loads?

Anyway, I guess everyone makes mistakes at somepoint. I won't be using w296 anymore for anything pure lead. Im glad nothing more happened and I didn't get hurt. Gonna take apart the bullets I still have and gotta figure out how to fix this Revolver...

Thanks for posting the video. Not too much to see except for the same childish giggles I had when I shot my 500. :D
They are bubblegumIN cool!:s0073:

Still sorry about your gun. Maybe someone like @Velzey could chop the barrel and cut it for a new front sight?

Thanks for posting the video. Not too much to see except for the same childish giggles I had when I shot my 500. :D
They are bubblegumIN cool!:s0073:

Still sorry about your gun. Maybe someone like @Velzey could chop the barrel and cut it for a new front sight?
Oh its originally a 6 min vid of me geeking out like an idiot lmao. I'm thinking of somehow machining that ported area to accept the S&W compensator or make my own somehow. Excuse to buy a minimill and practice some stainless steel welding.

So triple ouch. Not only was it a pure lead slug driven extremely hard but it was a hollow base..

"Pre-lubricated for easy loading, the tapered base lets you start the bullet easily. Cold forming from pure lead eliminates air pockets and the thin skirt, longer bearing surface, and hollow point bullet design make it a highly devastating and accurate black powder legend."

Even though you were warned about bullet softness and pressure, I had assumed you were talking about a Maxi Ball type slug with a solid base, not a hollow base minnie ball which is very easy to blow the skirts off of using anything but black powder. What was I thinking.
Lol

More like what was "I" thinking. I looked at the manual and somehow didn't process the 385 grain JACKETED. Mistakes were made, I'm looking forward now and will have to see how to fix the gun. I already took apart the few loads I had with the W296 and lead so this wont happen again. Instead I used Hornady FTX and loaded according to their manual.

I am going to reload some 500S&W and am wondering if there is anything that speaks against using 50cal muzzle loader Projectiles?

I can't find any 50cals in the stores and ordered some online but thats gonna take forever *eyeroll"

Meanwhile, I picked up 20 "Hornady Great Plains 50cal 385grain" They are lubed, exactly .50 and have grooves where I could crimp. Not looking to load "full power" just yet, ordered xtp for that. Any input? As long as its the right caliber it should work, no?
Those are going to be soft lead, so don't push them very fast because you will spend more time cleaning the lead out of your barrel than you spent doing the reloading.
I have more 50 caliber bullets than I need right now. If you live somewhere in the Portland OR area I could sell a few.

Well, I am making progress in fixing it. I might have to fill the port area and somehow machine it. Or leave it looking a little wonky. We'll see...

IMG_20200806_135149.jpg IMG_20200806_153707.jpg IMG_20200806_144434.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top