JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to reload some 500S&W and am wondering if there is anything that speaks against using 50cal muzzle loader Projectiles?

I can't find any 50cals in the stores and ordered some online but thats gonna take forever *eyeroll"

Meanwhile, I picked up 20 "Hornady Great Plains 50cal 385grain" They are lubed, exactly .50 and have grooves where I could crimp. Not looking to load "full power" just yet, ordered xtp for that. Any input? As long as its the right caliber it should work, no?

Seems to work just fine. I go by the Manual and back off the powder 10%.

IMG_20200801_150950.jpg

At some point in upping the load, you may need a gas check, and other than keeping an eye on leading, you should be good to go.
I've stuffed a variety of things in my 45-70's brass and shot it out of a BFR revolver including wood, albeit not always an accurate endeavor, still fun.

I've got some 400something grains with gascheck coming. But okay, sounds like not a problem. As long as I don't Experiment with "max pressure" quite yet. Not gonna lie, never shot 500mag, little nervous lol

If you're using h110 or 296 you're probably in for some serious trouble. Don't go below minimum with some powders.. best check.
I am aware of the w296 min load. I use this for my 357 loads. Going below makes for some very inconsistent ignition.

For the 500 I made a few different ones, using Trailboss (to begin with), Longshot and (minimum load) W296. The W296 was listed for a couple different 385grain bullets from solid to lead to jacketed. The data varied as much as 10 grains on the minimum side!?

What the Hell. After reviewing footage, 39grain of W296 had "bulged" the muzzle brake a little. 40.1 grains of W296 tore it open. I didn't even notice but then went to reload another 42 grain W296 and saw it. 39gr was the minimum, 43grain the max load. My thought is, unburned powder exploaded in the Brake and created pressure. The recoil wasn't even that bad, step above my 357 but not bad indicating someting overpressured or anything. I'm mad.

IMG_20200805_171206.jpg

I have never moved from one unknown loading to another without full rigorous inspection of all things concerned, (including the target) then making notes. In that scenario I might have noticed the bulging port, and quit, all other things (case, primer breach, etc) being OK.
As an aside, doesn't seem like the porting left much meat for such a large barking dog.
You might have to start compensating for low left hits now.

I don't even know man ... looking at it closer,it seems to be a "not enough meat" and/or material failure. Together with a 90° angle where pressure hit... anyway. This was a nowhere near max load. Looking at the cases, Trailboss, Longshot and the W296 all look the same, with the 40.1 w296 maybe a tad more flat. I didn't think much of it because the recoil did not feel tromendous and pretty much the same between the lowes load of 296 and the one that broke it.

IMG_20200805_185506~2.jpg

What the Hell. After reviewing footage, 39grain of W296 had "bulged" the muzzle brake a little. 40.1 grains of W296 tore it open. I didn't even notice but then went to reload another 42 grain W296 and saw it. 39gr was the minimum, 43grain the max load. My thought is, unburned powder exploaded in the Brake and created pressure. The recoil wasn't even that bad, step above my 357 but not bad indicating someting overpressured or anything. I'm mad.

View attachment 731640
The pure lead obturated into the brake creating a barrel obstruction. That load was way too hot for those particulars.

If you're using h110 or 296 you're probably in for some serious trouble. Don't go below minimum with some powders.. best check.
Good advice.
These two powders are recommended for full power loads only and if used with cast bullets will quickly foul the barrel. (I've never tried to verify the warnings about reduced loads and happily used both for MAGNUM rounds) If I was playing around with soft bullets in the 500, I'd think Unique, or something like that. Maybe even TrailBoss.

The pure lead obturated into the brake creating a barrel obstruction. That load was way too hot for those particulars.
Can you explain how that happens? shouldn't that leave residue? Obturate and obstructing is the same. How what? huh? I get you are saying that the lead created an obstrction in the Brake, however, how is that happening? you mean the projectile expanding while in the Brake, shouldn't that leave sone sort of lead trace??? Because the Brake is clean as a whistle. I have literally shot three rounds through a squeaky clean gun.

Can you explain how that happens? shouldn't that leave residue? Obturate and obstructing is the same. How what? huh? I get you are saying that the lead created an obstrction in the Brake, however, how is that happening? you mean the projectile expanding while in the Brake, shouldn't that leave sone sort of lead trace??? Because the Brake is clean as a whistle. I have literally shot three rounds through a squeaky clean gun.
IF the lead is moving too fast with too much gas pressure behind, it can melt. One round will leave a booger hanging off of a brake port. Then next will leave more lead. The next, eventually, could just rip that comp apart and with enough "fire" behind it, self clean. But there should be a ton of built up lead in the grooves of the rifling closer to the chamber.

I posted above (post #16) before I read the the complete thread.

IF the lead is moving too fast with too much gas pressure behind, it can melt. One round will leave a booger hanging off of a brake port. Then next will leave more lead. The next, eventually, could just rip that comp apart and with enough "fire" behind it, self clean. But there should be a ton of built up lead in the grooves of the rifling closer to the chamber.

I posted above before I read the thread.
Okay. I see how that can happen and I understand. I don't necessarily believe that this was the case. As of,the damage should be different. Looking at my video and from what I can see how the damage is, it looks more like a pressure spike right at the very front hole where there is barely any material there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top