JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, I noticed that, but I also had to state the fact that there is no such thing a 7.62x51 Raufoss (or more correctly, Mk211 type ammo with RDX/et. al.).

The NAMMO plant in Raufoss, Norway does make other ammo besides Mk211 and probably makes 7.62x51 ammo, but there is no official (NATO) Mk211 type ammo made in 7.62 caliber. The projectiles are too small to have any effective amount of RDX and other components inside to be effective like the Mk211 .50 caliber projectile is.

That said, there may be experimental or non-NATO ammo out there - one guy claims to have some projectiles, but I have seen no proof that there is any NATO ammo of that sort in .308 caliber. I have seen and believe I have some (somewhere) 7.62x51 SLAP rounds, but per some experts in the field who were involved in testing Winchester SLAP 7.62x51 ammo, they were not effective or accurate.

I do also have .308, .30-06 and .30-30 Remington "Accelerator" ammo, but those use .224 hunting projectiles for varmints, not self defense, much less military usage for armor piercing. I think I have some saboted ammo in 7.62x39, but I do not remember whether it is/was military or some gun show reloads - if the latter I would never shoot it - indeed, I think I would just keep it for collection purposes.
In that case you're really not gonna like my story about the .223 Raufoss I also bought on Ebay & dumped

In that case you're really not gonna like my story about the .223 Raufoss I also bought on Ebay & dumped

Mk211 has a "high explosive".

I have NATO APIT in most calibers and some Soviet and/or Chinese APIT in 7.62x39 (I had about 20-30 rounds in .50 BMG but I sold it, not sure if I kept a round for my collection - I should have). Whatever floats your boat, but APIT ammo is not a Raufoss/Mk211 type projectile - to call it "Raufoss" would be misleading.

Mk211 has a "high explosive".

I have NATO APIT in most calibers and some Soviet and/or Chinese APIT in 7.62x39 (I had about 20-30 rounds in .50 BMG but I sold it, not sure if I kept a round for my collection - I should have). Whatever floats your boat, but APIT ammo is not a Raufoss/Mk211 type projectile - to call it "Raufoss" would be misleading.
Unfortunately you'd need a time machine in order to inform the likely uncaring person who sold it to me on Ebay the message

As I never fired any of it, all that 'raufoss' may have just been a pretty paint job

I made a pile off my raufoss ammo
I made a profit too, but it was real Mk211 and I did not buy it to flip, I had it for years before I got the rifle and for a decade more before I sold it. When I sold it last year, I got less than the going price, but more than I paid for it.

I had no idea it would become so rare - it is not uncommon for the military to load belts with Mk211 interspersed throughout. At the time I bought it for $20-$25 each round (IIRC), the gov's cost was something like $7 per round. I would guess that the ammo I got, and much of it that is on the civilian market, was someone in the Army pocketing a round or two during practice and then selling it to someone who sold it at a gun show, not from buying it direct from the manufacturers.

The only things that saved him were the days that he and his dad had spent as first responders. Without that built-in 'this is what to do next' he'd be a historic footnote and sombre reminder just how fast things go tits-up when shooting dodgy ammunition.
Im afraid its even worse. He would have been a sh¡tbin/sniff and blow gun "crime" statistic!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top