JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We hunted deer every year for 20 years just east of Burns, starting in the late 50's. We always kept track of our deer sightings. We NEVER saw fewer than 125 deer every day of season. We ALWAYS limited out - EVERY year. In the late 70's we moved our hunt because we sighted fewer than 4 deer per day, and often saw NO bucks the whole season - we put up with this for 3 years before giving it up. While there, we noticed more selective logging (you could see 150 yards from most roads), and more forested land fenced and populated with bovines (leased to farmers). We guessed that the locals kept their freezers stocked with venison year-round, following the fact that you could see every deer within 150 yards of most roads, and that the really smart deer stayed further back in the woods, and were more wary of all the activity in their domain. So now the ODFW introduces an invasive species in order to decimate the rest of our wildlife. What we need is hunters and fishermen hired to run our ODFW (instead of dreamy college graduates), and an open season on non-native species - no tags, no limits. And strict limits on populations of bears and cougars. And I don't mean PAYING government hunters to do the hunting for us.

What we need is hunters and fishermen hired to run our ODFW (instead of dreamy college graduates), and an open season on non-native species - no tags, no limits. And strict limits on populations of bears and cougars. And I don't mean PAYING government hunters to do the hunting for us.

Or no one buy a fishing or hunting license for one year? You as a hunter for many years puts you in the same position as a Republican in Oregon expecting the dems to consider your wishes when they make laws. I can't quit fishing all together buy I won't buy their salmon/steelhead tag any more. Nor will I buy the shellfish tag.

Feral dogs are extremely dangerous because they don't have wild critters' fear of people.
On the 'upside' however domestic dogs also do not have the 'senses' and 'survival skills' of purely wild animals such as wolves.

So while domestic dogs can go feral I do not believe they last long as they simply cannot keep up in the 'food chain' and get killed off relatively quickly.

Those I have seen over the years looked pretty bad, malinutrated and some were injured and acting crazy. None of them appeared to be 'at home' or content in their surroundings.

If not we would see LOTS more of them than we do - at least in Oregon and the PNW in general that is.

Last Edited:
That's what I always say to myself. Bullet holes would pretty much be definitive? But poisoning not so much. I wonder how ranchers like seeing their newborn calves taken, more every year, as the wolf numbers increase?

We outdoorsmen should be glad that sabre tooth tigers didn't once roam Oregon. I'm sure these "Bring the wolves back to historic number" people would think it's okay for humans to be taken from time to time. For the good of the Earth, of course.
"Dingo took your baby?"

Bet it was Covid...lol
There's a corona virus in canines that has been a core dog vaccine for many many years. It may or may not be in most distemper combo's that dogs get as puppies and annually.

But, I don't know what effect domestic canine diseases might have on wolves, it would be plausible that a virus could spread through a pack: distemper, parvo, corona, leptospirosis (bacteria).

You can't have a thread about reintroduction of wolves without acknowledging the politics around their reintroduction. One side "reintroduced" wolves that weren't native to the area for a "balanced" ecosystem. They multiplied and spread and started doing what lead to their previous extinction, eating livestock. Its a prime example of reverse Fudd. Gun owners who don't care about ranchers and hunters think wolves are cute and support their reintroduction.

Same thing happened with changing bear and cougar hunting regs. People that don't hunt or know squat about game management (many gun owners) voted to make bear and cougar hunting more difficult. Now, encounters have exploded, farmers are losing livestock, and wild game has really taken a hit.

Turn them loose in potland they can feed on garbage

Or no one buy a fishing or hunting license for one year? You as a hunter for many years puts you in the same position as a Republican in Oregon expecting the dems to consider your wishes when they make laws. I can't quit fishing all together buy I won't buy their salmon/steelhead tag any more. Nor will I buy the shellfish tag.

when they get through with you ,you wont have the money to.

First wolf I ever saw in Oregon was back in 1993 just west of Dayville. He was not diddle dallying around for a photo op. One of the intro's to Yellowstone was found in Idaho Springs, CO a couple of years after his release in the park. They like cougars follow the food or are kicked out by the Alpha!

The annual wolf report for 2020 was just released by ODF. https://dfw.state.or.us/Wolves/

Since these wolves were killed in February 2021, we may not see results of their investigations until the 2021 report is released next year.

If I took the local newsrag, I'm sure the results of the investigation would show up... they always do. However, you can keep an eye on or search for it at https://elkhornmediagroup.com/ They have a FaceBuk page too if you are into that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top