JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Authorities say five people have been wounded by gunfire at three separate gun shows around the United States.

Three people were injured Saturday in Raleigh, N.C., at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show, a quarterly event that usually draws thousands of people. State agriculture department spokesman Brian Long says a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance.

Two bystanders were hit by shotgun pellets and taken to a hospital. A retired deputy sheriff suffered a slight hand injury.

Long says the shotgun's owner, 36-year-old Gary Lynn Wilson, brought the weapon to the show to find a private buyer. Sheriff Donnie Harrison says it's too early to know whether Wilson might be charged.

In Indiana, police say a 54-year-old Indianapolis man was injured when he accidentally shot himself while leaving a gun show.

State Police say Emory L. Cozee was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand as he was leaving the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show at the state fairgrounds. Loaded personal weapons are not allowed inside the show.

Cozee was hospitalized for treatment. Police say the shooting was accidental and no charges will be filed.

Meanwhile, authorities in Ohio say a man was wounded at a gun show in Medina when a gun dealer was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had bought and he accidentally pulled the trigger.

Police say the gun's magazine had been removed from the firearm but one round remained in the chamber.

Police Chief Pat Berarducci says it appears the bullet struck the floor and the man was wounded in the arm and leg. Berarducci says the man was taken by helicopter to a Cleveland hospital. His condition was not immediately known.

5 hurt in accidental shootings at 3 US gun shows

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. There are so many people who never have been around guns buying anything they can get there hands on. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with owning a gun. I sure hope all these new gun owners are signing up for safety classes. They will at least learn safe gun handling skills.

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. There are so many people who never have been around guns buying anything they can get there hands on. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with owning a gun. I sure hope all these new gun owners are signing up for safety classes. They will at least learn safe gun handling skills.

There's nothing new with 'new' gun owners today than there was yesterday 10-20 or 50 years ago. It is the media making the most out of a unfortunate situation that has always happened. Just as if you have ever been in a fire squad, one will every so often fire before the ok. But thats one time everyone follows suit & it isn't so bad

Pure and simple negligence in each case. If you are going to have people bring in guns you should have a safe place and a safe direction to point the muzzle when handling it. A safety table with a berm of some kind would be an easy answer for loading and unloading guns. A gun in the case or holster is always loaded until it isn't. Wake up people.

There's nothing new with 'new' gun owners today than there was yesterday 10-20 or 50 years ago. It is the media making the most out of a unfortunate situation that has always happened. Just as if you have ever been in a fire squad, one will every so often fire before the ok. But thats one time everyone follows suit & it isn't so bad

I would say that there is a greater percentage of new gun owners that rushed out and bought something before they can't. I know some personally. And yes the media is making a point to shine a negative light on irresponsible gun owners every chance they get.

I know

This makes me wonder if this is a normal number for a weekend around the US - and it's only getting reported because "gun control" is big news again; or if this truly was just a particularly high-incident weekend?

This makes me wonder if this is a normal number for a weekend around the US - and it's only getting reported because "gun control" is big news again; or if this truly was just a particularly high-incident weekend?

Probably.

MSNBC was sure trying to sex it up earlier.

My question is - how are these guns being allowed to be loaded at these gunshows? Are the people at the door asleep at the switch and not chamber checking and flagging every action on every gun that enters? Are people carrying concealed, then whipping out their toy to show some other bubba?

Now is the time to be more stringent among our own ranks and police this crap better, so we don't give the gun grabbers and antis anything they can use against us.

Yeah wtf!
If people are exercising the basics of firearms safety this doesn't happen. They should ticket/ press charges against all parties involved. The one that accidentally discharged it and for not checking, and the one bringing it in.

Just stupid. These are the people giving stupid libs ammunition.

Unexceptable behavor, There is no reason for any gun in a gun show to be loaded with a live round... Period. I personally have never seen or heard of this in may years of firearm/gun shows. Each person responciple for the discharge should be held responciple for damages at the least. This will lead to liability Insurance for firearm owners if it continues to be a happening and no one wants this. Along with higher interance fees due to event Insurance. We as firearm enthusiests are under the microscope like never before and what one does reflects on all of us weather this is right or not. I hope this is the last time I ever hear of this happening.

One of the injured people was a dealer? and how was the gun loaded at the show? doesn't make sense. I wonder how many careless people sliced themselves with a kitchen knife this weekend?

One simple lesson.

Lesson 1.

The only safe gun is one not being held by a human.

Lesson 2. Refer to lesson 1.

Lesson over.

It makes no sense to me , people know a gun in the hands of a person can kill.
Yet people do not "THINK" .
Yet these same people will get in their cars and won't drive blind folded because it obviously dangerous.
But will pick up a gun blindfolded in a sense.

Men more then women need to get their ego outta the way when picking up a gun the first time.
Being a man and having testosterone does not make you a firearms expert.
Sadly more novice women fear guns and are way more careful then novice men.

My wife is meticulous about her gun and fear years ago was turned into knowledge and respect .
Novice men should head the wisdom of novice women.

Where have you been driving? In PDX I see people driving as though they WERE blindfolded ALL the time! Texting, talking and unable to signal or make smooth turn, completely oblivious to all the trafic behind them due to them going ten miles under the speed limit, AAAA! On the freeways, in town,
at the grocery store! They may as well be blindfolded!

It's time we gun owners lobby law makers for some kind of penalties for irresponsible/negligent gun handling. The guy that left the CCW in the theater,
CWP suspended for a year and a $300.00-$500.00 fine, maybe have to take a gun handling course to regain CWP. The four basic rules of gun handling
should be plastered everywhere, on your safe, in your safe, on your gun cases, on the walls of gun shops in BIG letters. Hell, I've got to the point I even keep my trigger finger straight when I take a leak!

Mike

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads