Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

5 hurt in accidental shootings at 3 US gun shows

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by deen_ad, Jan 19, 2013.

1. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

5 hurt in accidental shootings at 3 US gun shows

2. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. There are so many people who never have been around guns buying anything they can get there hands on. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with owning a gun. I sure hope all these new gun owners are signing up for safety classes. They will at least learn safe gun handling skills.

3. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

There's nothing new with 'new' gun owners today than there was yesterday 10-20 or 50 years ago. It is the media making the most out of a unfortunate situation that has always happened. Just as if you have ever been in a fire squad, one will every so often fire before the ok. But thats one time everyone follows suit & it isn't so bad

4. rumblebee1967

rumblebee1967 Bellingham Active Member

Pure and simple negligence in each case. If you are going to have people bring in guns you should have a safe place and a safe direction to point the muzzle when handling it. A safety table with a berm of some kind would be an easy answer for loading and unloading guns. A gun in the case or holster is always loaded until it isn't. Wake up people.

5. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

I would say that there is a greater percentage of new gun owners that rushed out and bought something before they can't. I know some personally. And yes the media is making a point to shine a negative light on irresponsible gun owners every chance they get.

I know

6. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

This makes me wonder if this is a normal number for a weekend around the US - and it's only getting reported because "gun control" is big news again; or if this truly was just a particularly high-incident weekend?

7. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Probably.

MSNBC was sure trying to sex it up earlier.

My question is - how are these guns being allowed to be loaded at these gunshows? Are the people at the door asleep at the switch and not chamber checking and flagging every action on every gun that enters? Are people carrying concealed, then whipping out their toy to show some other bubba?

Now is the time to be more stringent among our own ranks and police this crap better, so we don't give the gun grabbers and antis anything they can use against us.

8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yeah wtf!
    If people are exercising the basics of firearms safety this doesn't happen. They should ticket/ press charges against all parties involved. The one that accidentally discharged it and for not checking, and the one bringing it in.

Just stupid. These are the people giving stupid libs ammunition.

9. lonegunman

lonegunman Eastern Washington Active Member

Anything with a gun will get maximum press these days. Hopefully more stupids will stay home and stop this stuff.

10. novamind

novamind Hillsboro Active Member

Unexceptable behavor, There is no reason for any gun in a gun show to be loaded with a live round... Period. I personally have never seen or heard of this in may years of firearm/gun shows. Each person responciple for the discharge should be held responciple for damages at the least. This will lead to liability Insurance for firearm owners if it continues to be a happening and no one wants this. Along with higher interance fees due to event Insurance. We as firearm enthusiests are under the microscope like never before and what one does reflects on all of us weather this is right or not. I hope this is the last time I ever hear of this happening.

11. bobu

bobu Salem Member

One of the injured people was a dealer? and how was the gun loaded at the show? doesn't make sense. I wonder how many careless people sliced themselves with a kitchen knife this weekend?

12. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Where have you been driving? In PDX I see people driving as though they WERE blindfolded ALL the time! Texting, talking and unable to signal or make smooth turn, completely oblivious to all the trafic behind them due to them going ten miles under the speed limit, AAAA! On the freeways, in town,
    at the grocery store! They may as well be blindfolded!

It's time we gun owners lobby law makers for some kind of penalties for irresponsible/negligent gun handling. The guy that left the CCW in the theater,
    CWP suspended for a year and a $300.00-$500.00 fine, maybe have to take a gun handling course to regain CWP. The four basic rules of gun handling
    should be plastered everywhere, on your safe, in your safe, on your gun cases, on the walls of gun shops in BIG letters. Hell, I've got to the point I even keep my trigger finger straight when I take a leak!

Mike

CharonPDX and (deleted member) like this.