JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Get your survival pantry into a 5 gallon bucket.

Fit a complete and proportioned meal plan into a 5 gallon bucket with a recipe book. Go for the longest storage life, nutritional value, and lowest cost. But should also be stuff you would acctually eat, IE a bucket of wheatberries doesnt count. Cannot require electricity/freezer to store.

Currently Im working on one that will contain everthing needed for a good lentil stew and Keen wah. Im having a more difficul time with the breakfast aspect, spam would work for both the stew and as a breakfast meat, bisquick is probably one of the most flexable items I can think of...

What would you put in it, and what would you make with it?

I have broken out of the breakfast food mold. Its a lot easier this way. I think people get too caught up in the bacon and eggs thing when there are a lot better things to eat and frankly I would be just fine with lentil soup with a little for breakfast. Probably a better way to get going anyway. As for the 5 gallon bucket thing. Don't know if its worth it to me to mess around with. Good idea and all, just not sure I would ever be happy with the amount of compromise I would have to make.

As a wee sprout I became accustomed to oatmeal for breakfast..

Purdue University published a recipe for "Master Mix" a home made mix that makes muffins, cakes, pancakes, biscuits and cookies...just add different ingredients to the mix....It keeps for 6 weeks unrefrigerated.....Google it.

W44

Hi SF, have you tried out their food stuffs before? If so, thoughts?

-d

yes and no.

There was a gentleman selling food wise products at the Puyallup preparedness fair and he was cooking up samples. Then as I was about to try it, the pierce county health dept warned that they are about to receive a $150.00 ticket if they continue with there opeartion without handwash station etc... So no, I did not taste it but I did get smell it and it looked awesome. They felt my disapoint and gave me a pouch to try out.

I have not done so, yet but will soon!

Food like this can be a main staple item but I feel it is best as an augmentation to the rest of your supplies.

The portions are very generous so I am guessing you could get away with one entree per day.

I will post a reveiw of my opinion(s) once I do try it.

SF-

Hmmmmmm........

From my aspect that intitial cost is what I consider a 25 year insurance policy. Also, that price is from the websight. The price I was quoted was from the dealer who is at the Monroe gunshows and was much lower than that advertised price.

Guess I will go shopping and see how much cheaper it is to build your own bucket.

SF-

Rice makes a good breakfast cereal for Westerners so is quite adaptable.

I'm not sure about the shelf life of Bisquick. Great product, but I've heard it's shelf life isn't terribly long due to the fat in the mix so you'd have to rotate it to your pantry regularly. Not a concern if you rotate it, but would be if you're not planning on opening the bucket for a few years.

I'd include salt & spices to make the beans, rice, oats, quinoa, etc taste better.

I'd also include dried vegetables like corn, carrots, peas, edamame (soy beans).

Check out The Survival Podcast video, The 5 Gallon Bucket Project: YouTube - The 5 Gallon Bucket Food Storage Project - Part 1-A

Hi SF, have you tried out their food stuffs before? If so, thoughts?

-d

A friend and I went sailing in the San Juans for a week last summer and, that food kit provided roughly 60-70% of our food. It was pretty good,one bag of food would feed two grown men. It didn't plug us up either. OTOH, eating Mountain House was a special treat after that week...

Greg

Okay so I know there's like 20,000 threads on this question but... is there a place in Yamhill county that I can get some buckets for this project? Also, once I have some goodies will I need to seal them in mylar or are the buckets good to go with a few oxygen absorbers?

-d

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads