JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seemed to be a bit of contradictory information from what I've actually seen. It's good that the bad info is out there. Misinformation is always a good thing.

This isn't Africa for starters... Gang bangers fear the wild, it's full of Lions, Tigers and Bears...

I agree about the Medical side of things, the distance and time for acute care is accurate. However, if you take care of yourself, you gan that much more.

Many that live in those far away rural areas will most likely band together to strengthen thier position, much of this has been discussed by myself and others in my area...

I'll take living out in the distance from those infested big cities any day...

When I get to "OLD" to take care of the property, then and only then will it be time to sell and relocate...

Again, this isn't Africa, I fail to see how they can even compare that one, Apples vs Oranges...

I'll take my chances in the Country.
Eyup.

Especially since I'm already living in Tinyburg, OR, USA.

The links in that article that aren't sponsored by the swamp, look to be inspired by the country-wannabe-hipster types.
I can live with the hospital thing though.
No one lives forever anyway.

How about 1- I don't hear horns, traffic and sirens all night long.
2- I have pheasants and quail for my lab to chase.
3-I don't get run over crossing the road, we don't have streets.
4-I can step out in the back yard and chrono and pattern 12ga. loads without the cops comming.
5-I can put up a sign that says IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE IN RANGE without the neighbors complaining.
I'll keep my ruralness.:D

The main erroneous assumption that the article makes is it is relying on those things that city dwellers need for survival will still be available in a collapse scenario...and will not just be smoldering piles of ash surrounded by desperate, feral masses of people.
Country folks are used to fending for themselves and not having services.

Last Edited:
I grew up on the farm too, and my experience tells me that while there's merit in some of what he says, I certainly don't agree with all of it.

Statistics just don't tell the whole story. There may be more drugs or crime in one place or another, but in my little world there's very, very little of either. Why? Because my family and normal circle of friends and acquaintances are generally upstanding, law abiding people, and we seldom rub shoulders with a culture where such things are normal and tolerated. Therefore the crime and substance abuse rate in my own little world is very, very low. I don't mean to be snooty or self-righteous, just factual. I've had extended family and acquaintance that have had trouble with crime, theft and such things, but on the other hand they run in those circles. If your friends are druggies and thieves, you're more likely to have your house burglarized, that's just a simple fact.

Sure, bad things happen to good people at times, but in general you're far more likely to be a victim of crime if you're involved in a culture that tolerates and accepts crime and drugs.

The main erroneous assumption that the article makes is it relies on the things city dwellers need for survival will still be available in a collapse scenario...and not just smoldering piles of ash surrounded by a desperate, feral masses of people.
Country folks are used to fending for themselves and not having services.

FerFAL has BTDT.

That said, his assertions ignore the facts that if SHTF, things change.

Yes, it is farther to a hospital from a rural area, but if SHTF, you are more likely to need a hospital if you live in the city. Also, the assertion assumes that the hospitals will still be operating and accepting people, not full up with patients. If we have "the big one", will a hospital have power and water and supplies for very long? If you live in downtown PDX will you need to go to Good Samaritan? Since I do not live among buildings that are likely to collapse, I have a smaller chance that I will need to go to a hospital.

I could go on and on, but things do no stay the same when SHTF - they change. What may be true now won't be true if SHTF. Looking beyond that is key. FerFal should know this, he lived thru SHTF - but he has a strong bias against living outside the city - some of it is based on what happened in his country, but some of his thinking is flawed. This isn't Argentina.

I will take my chances here. They can keep the city.

FerFAL has BTDT.

That said, his assertions ignore the facts that if SHTF, things change.

Yes, it is farther to a hospital from a rural area, but if SHTF, you are more likely to need a hospital if you live in the city. Also, the assertion assumes that the hospitals will still be operating and accepting people, not full up with patients. If we have "the big one", will a hospital have power and water and supplies for very long? If you live in downtown PDX will you need to go to Good Samaritan? Since I do not live among buildings that are likely to collapse, I have a smaller chance that I will need to go to a hospital.

I could go on and on, but things do no stay the same when SHTF - they change. What may be true now won't be true if SHTF. Looking beyond that is key. FerFal should know this, he lived thru SHTF - but he has a strong bias against living outside the city - some of it is based on what happened in his country, but some of his thinking is flawed. This isn't Argentina.

I will take my chances here. They can keep the city.
Thinking about that, Portland's premiere medical facility OHSU, is probably going to be a heap of Rubble blocking I-5 if/when the Cascadia Subduction takes place.
It is literally perched on that steep hillside, and strung out over 150 yards or so.

If liquifaction takes place on that hillside it's all over but the shout.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top