JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I cant imagine any, since penetration is based on impact velocity and 2000fps is approaching rifle velocity. And then last but not least, Paul Harrel has several excellent videos comparing all the usual standard self defense ammo calibers in his infamous "meat target" with devastating effects and full penetration.
He did it with the Liberty ammo and it did go all the way thru the "meat target".

The Liberty projectile is designed to immediately fragment "petals" that are in front of the core - these spread out at an angle for about 5-6" at about a 45* angle, then leave a round disk core that penetrates 10-12".

In ballistic gel.

He did it with the Liberty ammo and it did go all the way thru the "meat target".

The Liberty projectile is designed to immediately fragment "petals" that are in front of the core - these spread out at an angle for about 5-6" at about a 45* angle, then leave a round disk core that penetrates 10-12".

In ballistic gel.
As I suspected.
Its basically applying hunting bullet technology to handgun ammo. The controlled fragmentation mimics the Nosler Partition technology but in a monolithic projectile.

Im still skeptical it will make a difference in self defense applications, but we do know using "more deadly" ammo is generally a liability in court. I wonder how these Liberty rounds will be perceived....

As I suspected.
Its basically applying hunting bullet technology to handgun ammo. The controlled fragmentation mimics the Nosler Partition technology but in a monolithic projectile.

Im still skeptical it will make a difference in self defense applications, but we do know using "more deadly" ammo is generally a liability in court. I wonder how these Liberty rounds will be perceived....
This is why I dip my ammo in Bactine.

Usually, high penetration rounds are heavy. They penetrate because they start at a decent penetration velocity and have the inertia to remain close to that velocity.

Light rounds at high speeds can change velocity rapidly because they have low inertia. Also being light they sometimes lack the structural integrity of a heavy, dense bullet. So when they go through targets of changing density they parachute, change direction or are torn apart by the rapid change in velocity.

Similar to why an arrow will go through a vest that would stop a bullet.
While general true, bullet construction plays a larger part when is comes to performance, both in penetration and expansion.
These light bullets will penetrate like crazy due to how they are built...
https://underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-90gr-xtreme-defender-solid-monolithic-self-defense-ammo-815-1/

Yeah, it just becomes a question if a bullet with no hollow reliably creates a wide wound channel or not. But solid copper Barnes rounds also were built for penetration.
Paul Harrels got a couple good videos where he compares 45acp and 10mm FMJ bullets on his infamous "meat target"... with, destructive results. I would not dismiss the devastating effects of non expanding bullets its just for pistols we only use hollowpoints to reduce over-penetration risk in urban environments.

I am pretty much committed to the 5.7 as a first layer of SHTF defense when not expecting to be attacked but wanting to have enough firepower in a lightweight compact format, with light recoil, in order to be sure to be armed and be able to retreat to cover and heavier firepower.

But if someone wanted something similar without committing to a relatively niche obscure and expensive set of firearms, they could maybe go with ultra lightweight ammo for 9mm, .357 SIG or .40/.45 in a Glock or SIG 320 or something like that. Ditto with compact conceal carry like a SIG 365

Paul Harrels got a couple good videos where he compares 45acp and 10mm FMJ bullets on his infamous "meat target"... with, destructive results. I would not dismiss the devastating effects of non expanding bullets its just for pistols we only use hollowpoints to reduce over-penetration risk in urban environments.
Yes - he tested the "extreme penetrator" projectiles too - his conclusion was less penetration than FMJ, but more lethal than FMJ while less lethal than std JHP ammo. Kind of niche ammo.

Yes - he tested the "extreme penetrator" projectiles too - his conclusion was less penetration than FMJ, but more lethal than FMJ while less lethal than std JHP ammo. Kind of niche ammo.
After I saw the destruction to his meat targets with standard FMJ I stopped worrying about buying heavy, hardcast, "+P", ... IOW, expensive ammo for my bear/"woods" gun. Also plain ol FMJ is what semis are designed to run reliably if someone has a picky gun.

After I saw the destruction to his meat targets with standard FMJ I stopped worrying about buying heavy, hardcast, "+P", ... IOW, expensive ammo for my bear/"woods" gun. Also plain ol FMJ is what semis are designed to run reliably if someone has a picky gun.
FMJs can and sometimes do deform more than hard cast or hard core with heavy jackets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top