JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a long time I was hoping someone would come out with a larger 22 rimfire that would be more power than a 22 mag. I have a 22 hornet but ammo is hard to come by. This 5.7 x 28 is actually kind of about right but I am surprised there is very little attention around making it a rifle round instead of handgun. I see 50 packs of ammo is like $35 and in stores.

The closest I know in rimfire is the Winchester .17 Super Mag, which is rated at 3,000 fps for the 20 grain bullet and 2,800 fps for the 25 grain bullets. .17 HMR is based on the .22 Magnum, and throws a 20 grain bullet at 2,375 fps.

In center fire, the original .222 Remington fits in the niche you seem to want. The .222 Remington Magnum variants, ranging from .204 Ruger and .223 Remington/5.56x45 are somewhat larger. If you want a flat-shooting round with lighter bullets (32 to 45 grain) the Ruger is nice.

I have always liked the Hornet. I don't need a flat shooting round, since 100 yards is about as long a range as I need, and it is both accurate and economical. We handloaded back in the 1960's, and it took very little powder! My brother owned all the Hornet rifles, and I haven't stumbled on to one to buy. It is sweet for small vermin at ranges longer than I feel comfortable with shooting .22LR.

Instead of trying to choose between several hard-to-find or expensive cartridges, pick a common one (223-5.56x45) and load it to whatever velocity you want. You then have a wide variety of rifles to choose from, and it will almost always be on the shelf.

Bruce

I suppose it would really depend on the platform. Want a single-shot, bolt-action, or lever-gun? I'd go .22 Hornet and buy ammo when it pops up. A high capacity, full-sized handgun and/or a very light handling carbine? The 5.7x28㎜ could certainly work.

As to why they aren't more common, I'm not entirely sure. The European cartridge has always been kind of "Gucci" here and heretofore only offered in a small number of firearms. The number is still low, but Ruger appears to be committed to said cartridge now. Another possibility is the 5.56㎜ NATO does a lot of what the Belgian cartridge does, is cheaper, and is widely available.

Anywho, good luck with your search. :)

Iv seen a few guys have a custom barrel built for the TC single shots in the 5.7's sweet little rifles I wish we would see like a Ruger m77 or a Tikka bolt rifle in the 5.7
There was a little conversation going about this on another thread recently. I'd love to see a Ruger bolt gun in 5.7 , built around their rotary magazine. 5 rounds should be no problem. Maybe even 6 or 7?

A mini mauser from cz would be cool.

The steyr scout, possibly even shrunk down to %70 of original size/weight would be drool inducing.

My suggestion was also going to be the 22 TCM. My BIL has the 22 TCM rifle and it's a blast (literally) to shoot. Advantage of this caliber is that usually the pistols are both 9mm (with only a barrel change) and 22 TCM. Apparently the rifles also take the pistol magazines for greater capacity. Here is a pretty informative YouTube video comparing the 5.7x28 and 22 TCM (another caliber is included in the video but you can simply ignore that information...or not) including chronograph results, bulletproof vest and etc.

For a long time I was hoping someone would come out with a larger 22 rimfire that would be more power than a 22 mag. I have a 22 hornet but ammo is hard to come by. This 5.7 x 28 is actually kind of about right but I am surprised there is very little attention around making it a rifle round instead of handgun. I see 50 packs of ammo is like $35 and in stores.
I have plenty of 5.7 ammo (10K+), and three PS90/Five Sevens pairs as get home/PDWs for myself and kids.

But my only option for a small game long gun in 5.7 would be a T/C Contender/Encore. I would prefer a bolt action or a less expensive single shot.

One alternative is the .22 TCM which is available in a bolt action. Ammo is not ubiquitous though.

I have settled on hand loaded 5.56/.223 - plenty of affordable long gun options of all sorts, plenty of full power ammo

Iv seen a few guys have a custom barrel built for the TC single shots in the 5.7's sweet little rifles I wish we would see like a Ruger m77 or a Tikka bolt rifle in the 5.7
I would settle for a Ruger American

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top