JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would you like a pistol or a rifle in that caliber? Been around for a while but guns to shoot it are a little on the high end for most.

<broken link removed>

FN Five Seven

I'm actually looking at one of these too.:s0155:

Yeah yeah yeah,that's were I saw it.
So it's just a little bigger than a 22lr? (HA not exactly)
Engineer had nothing to do? What's the draw?

I'm not looking for it.I was just interested in WTF he was talking about.
The FN link reminded me.

Thanks guys.

The 5.7x28mm cartridge is a small caliber, high velocity cartridge created by FN Herstal in Belgium in conjunction with the FN P90 personal defense weapon (PDW) and FN Five-seven pistol.[8] Developed in response to NATO requests for a replacement for 9x19mm Parabellum, the 5.7x28mm is a bottlenecked centerfire cartridge that is somewhat similar to the .22 Hornet or .22 K-Hornet.[6][9]

Why does NATO want 22's for the armies?
I don't care how fast it flies,it's a 22 (including the 5.56)

I just think it's cool and is a tad bit 'safer' (subjective) and lighter for CCW and home use. Wouldn't be to bad for long range gopher hunting firearm. lol

I've read great things about it, that's all. I've heard of other LEO's buying and carrying it too. I also just want something a little different with a 20/30 round capacity. It is a bit pricey, ouch.

NATO use = hopeful lack of over penetration, armor piercing *law/mil ammo only, and tumbles really well

Unfortunately, the handgun is butt-ugly IMHO. How about a pistol chambered for .17 HMR instead?
While I think the 17HMR is a great rifle round, I think the .22 magnum would be better out of a handgun such as the new PMR-30.

Of course shooting purely for fun the 17HMR would probably be awesome! I wonder how long till we see conversion barrels for the PMR?

This cartridge seems to be catching on in popularity. Does anyone know about the ballistics? Other than the brief outcry about it being a "cop killer" round it seems that it performs about the same as traditional handgun ammo.

I know a few people that have 5.7 pistols - they bought them hoping that the hot AP ammo would be available at some point. Last I heard they are restricting the good stuff for LEO / military use only. I know someone was talking about making sabots so you could load .223 AP instead. The hot AP ammo is a little terminator that would punch level 4 vests but the civilian version of the round supposedly won't.

I know a few people that have 5.7 pistols - they bought them hoping that the hot AP ammo would be available at some point. Last I heard they are restricting the good stuff for LEO / military use only. I know someone was talking about making sabots so you could load .223 AP instead. The hot AP ammo is a little terminator that would punch level 4 vests but the civilian version of the round supposedly won't.

There is so much wrong with this, it's not really funny.

- .223 "AP" is both longer and heavier than the 40gr/55gr projectiles. I would be slow and likley too long.
- 5.7 is already loaded with lighter weight .224 diameter (i.e. .223 Remington) projectiles. I'm not sure what the "sabot" is.
- And Level 4 vests protect against .30-06 AP. A slow 5.7 isn't going to do crap do it.

My mistake - was thinking level 3a vests not 4. and the idea was to load either load .223/5.56 AP or a tool steel or tungsten projectile in a plastic sabot. As I didn't have that much interest in owning a 5.7 I didn't pay as much attention to the discussion at the time so I just called one of the guys to refresh my memory. Still not my thing as the ammo is pricey and can be hard to come by.

As oregonbrass stated if you get the chance to shoot one you'll think of no other gun but it.

Pricey both in initial purchase and ammo but damn if it isn't one of the best firearms I've had the pleasure of shooting.

#1 on my wishlist for sure.

I have thought about getting one just in case the Cylons attack as its long range and high capacity would enable me to provide suppressive fire with accuracy at moderate distances. Good hiking gun due to its light weight. Probably be accurate enough to nail a rabbit and the occasional Number Six. :)

Yes, the FiveSeven is a very cool pistol. Add a PS90 and you have a matching set!

You can buy 5.7 ammo from non-FNH sources e.g. http://www.eliteammunition.net sells several types including hotter loads and subsonic.

The Secret Service carry both the FiveSeven pistol and the P90 with the LEO-only SS190 ammo specifically for the ability to penetrate body armor.

From a SWAT team in Texas:

The SS190 version of the 5.7mm cartridge uses a 31-grain, steel jacketed, steel tipped, aluminum core bullet. It is capable of 2350fps and it can defeat level IIIA body armor at 200 meters. The bullet contains no lead for environments that prohibit toxins.
The round is not cheap but as the weapon becomes more popular here in the United States, the cost should come down. Winchester will soon assemble the 5.7mm round from imported FN components and also plans to make a hollowpoint round.
The 5.7mm round has 379 ft-lbs of energy, compared to 1300 ft-lbs for the 5.56mm NATO. The recoil from the 5.7mm round is much less than even the 9mm.
The SS190 ball is not only flat shooting, but also capable of penetrating car doors and auto-glass with minimum ricochet potential. In contrast, the bullet is designed to stay intact and start a controlled tumble once it penetrates a soft medium, thus reducing any over-penetration worries. The SS190 ball penetrates between 11 and 13.5 inches of gelatin, compared to between 17 and 22 inches of penetration for the M855 dual-core 5.56mm NATO round.
Upon impact with soft targets, the 5.7mm ball tumbles one time, base over point. This transfers energy and limits over-penetration. The 5.7mm ball produces a wound cavity about the size and shape of the best 9mm 115 grain JHP +P+, except the peak occurs at a deeper penetration.
In the one shooting we had with the P90, the bullet performed well. In fact, the bullet performed exactly as it was designed. The autopsy provided detailed information about the wound cavity and travel of the bullets. None of the 5.7mm rounds fragmented and as far as we can tell, none exited either. The shooting itself was a violent confrontation with many rounds exchanged between the suspect and the react team. The suspect was hit multiple times with both 5.56mm and 5.7mm rounds.

By far, my favorite handgun i have shot, When i can afford one for close to 1K i will get one, it has been on my list for a while but a cheap Desert Eagle came up so maybe a few more months before I get one. 20 round magazine standard and expandable up to 30 rounds, almost no kick, always goes back to center during rapid fire. The only think not to like is the price! I personally don't think the looks are that bad.

I have a 5.7 and have only shot about 2 mags through it since new. I bought it when it looked like they might get banned. I figured it would make a good invested piece. Right after I got it I ran out and got a holster, 3 extra mags and 400 rounds. It has sat in the safe since then. I should shoot it more, but always seem to overlook it when I go out to shoot. I thought about carrying it but my main issue is penetration. If I need to engage through a window or a car door I do not think the current 28 grain bullet is going to perform very well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top