Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

5.7 pistol?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by mjbskwim, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I was in a store today and a guy was looking for 5.7 ammo.

Never heard of this one.
    The Dad said the son said the CIA uses it...shhhhh

I'll go look it up in a minute

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Would you like a pistol or a rifle in that caliber? Been around for a while but guns to shoot it are a little on the high end for most.

3. DOA

DOA Aloha, OR -185th & TV Hwy Active Member

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah yeah,that's were I saw it.
    So it's just a little bigger than a 22lr? (HA not exactly)
    Engineer had nothing to do? What's the draw?

I'm not looking for it.I was just interested in WTF he was talking about.
    The FN link reminded me.

Thanks guys.

Why does NATO want 22's for the armies?
    I don't care how fast it flies,it's a 22 (including the 5.56)

5. DOA

DOA Aloha, OR -185th & TV Hwy Active Member

I just think it's cool and is a tad bit 'safer' (subjective) and lighter for CCW and home use. Wouldn't be to bad for long range gopher hunting firearm. lol

I've read great things about it, that's all. I've heard of other LEO's buying and carrying it too. I also just want something a little different with a 20/30 round capacity. It is a bit pricey, ouch.

NATO use = hopeful lack of over penetration, armor piercing *law/mil ammo only, and tumbles really well

6. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the handgun is butt-ugly IMHO. How about a pistol chambered for .17 HMR instead?

7. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

if you shoot a five seven, you will want one.

8. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Yup. Very very fun.

9. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

While I think the 17HMR is a great rifle round, I think the .22 magnum would be better out of a handgun such as the new PMR-30.

Of course shooting purely for fun the 17HMR would probably be awesome! I wonder how long till we see conversion barrels for the PMR?

10. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

This cartridge seems to be catching on in popularity. Does anyone know about the ballistics? Other than the brief outcry about it being a "cop killer" round it seems that it performs about the same as traditional handgun ammo.

11. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I know a few people that have 5.7 pistols - they bought them hoping that the hot AP ammo would be available at some point. Last I heard they are restricting the good stuff for LEO / military use only. I know someone was talking about making sabots so you could load .223 AP instead. The hot AP ammo is a little terminator that would punch level 4 vests but the civilian version of the round supposedly won't.

12. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

There is so much wrong with this, it's not really funny.

- .223 "AP" is both longer and heavier than the 40gr/55gr projectiles. I would be slow and likley too long.
    - 5.7 is already loaded with lighter weight .224 diameter (i.e. .223 Remington) projectiles. I'm not sure what the "sabot" is.
    - And Level 4 vests protect against .30-06 AP. A slow 5.7 isn't going to do crap do it.

13. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

My mistake - was thinking level 3a vests not 4. and the idea was to load either load .223/5.56 AP or a tool steel or tungsten projectile in a plastic sabot. As I didn't have that much interest in owning a 5.7 I didn't pay as much attention to the discussion at the time so I just called one of the guys to refresh my memory. Still not my thing as the ammo is pricey and can be hard to come by.

14. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

As oregonbrass stated if you get the chance to shoot one you'll think of no other gun but it.

Pricey both in initial purchase and ammo but damn if it isn't one of the best firearms I've had the pleasure of shooting.

#1 on my wishlist for sure.

15. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have thought about getting one just in case the Cylons attack as its long range and high capacity would enable me to provide suppressive fire with accuracy at moderate distances. Good hiking gun due to its light weight. Probably be accurate enough to nail a rabbit and the occasional Number Six. :)

16. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Was watching Human Target last night and one of the guns taken off the bad guy was a FN57. Henchmen get all the good guns :bluelaugh:

17. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Yes, the FiveSeven is a very cool pistol. Add a PS90 and you have a matching set!

You can buy 5.7 ammo from non-FNH sources e.g. http://www.eliteammunition.net sells several types including hotter loads and subsonic.

The Secret Service carry both the FiveSeven pistol and the P90 with the LEO-only SS190 ammo specifically for the ability to penetrate body armor.

From a SWAT team in Texas:

18. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

By far, my favorite handgun i have shot, When i can afford one for close to 1K i will get one, it has been on my list for a while but a cheap Desert Eagle came up so maybe a few more months before I get one. 20 round magazine standard and expandable up to 30 rounds, almost no kick, always goes back to center during rapid fire. The only think not to like is the price! I personally don't think the looks are that bad.

19. Stumps

Stumps Ashford, WA Member

I have a 5.7 and have only shot about 2 mags through it since new. I bought it when it looked like they might get banned. I figured it would make a good invested piece. Right after I got it I ran out and got a holster, 3 extra mags and 400 rounds. It has sat in the safe since then. I should shoot it more, but always seem to overlook it when I go out to shoot. I thought about carrying it but my main issue is penetration. If I need to engage through a window or a car door I do not think the current 28 grain bullet is going to perform very well.