JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been reloading a lot of rifle calibers but want to start reloading for my AR15. It is chambered in 5.56 and because it is so common it is hard for me to learn what to do.

I reload with RCBS gear.

First question... all die sets that I saw are .223. Is there a RCBS die set for 5.56 or is it right to use the .223 die set. For all my other calibers (300 win mag, 25-06, etc) I just go pick up a die set and there is only one option. I saw 5 or 6 different things labeled .223 and didn't want to grab something wrong (and didn't have time as I was being rushed out of the store.)

Second Question... Small rifle primers, correct? Everything else I have is Large rifle or magnum. Just want to be sure....

Thanks guys, from someone that reloads quite a bit but is just starting a new caliber.

Been reloading a lot of rifle calibers but want to start reloading for my AR15. It is chambered in 5.56 and because it is so common it is hard for me to learn what to do.

I reload with RCBS gear.

First question... all die sets that I saw are .223. Is there a RCBS die set for 5.56 or is it right to use the .223 die set. For all my other calibers (300 win mag, 25-06, etc) I just go pick up a die set and there is only one option. I saw 5 or 6 different things labeled .223 and didn't want to grab something wrong (and didn't have time as I was being rushed out of the store.)

Second Question... Small rifle primers, correct? Everything else I have is Large rifle or magnum. Just want to be sure....

Thanks guys, from someone that reloads quite a bit but is just starting a new caliber.
.223 dies will load 5.56

Standard small rifle, small rifle match and small rifle magnum primers can all be used to load for 5.56 (or .223 for that matter).

When varying from load manual data, always start at the bottom and slowly work your way up.

Thank you for confirmation DizzyJ.
I certainly follow the manual and always work up to my desired load. It is just the reloading manuals that I have seem to like to abbreviate things (especially primer type), and I have yet to find in any of the manuals that I own confirmation that the .223 is the correct die set for the 5.56.

Some guys are pretty anal about using AR specific small rifle primers for their AR's. I just use standard, non specific ones and have never had a problem (slam fires).

Thank you for confirmation DizzyJ.
I certainly follow the manual and always work up to my desired load. It is just the reloading manuals that I have seem to like to abbreviate things (especially primer type), and I have yet to find in any of the manuals that I own confirmation that the .223 is the correct die set for the 5.56.
The difference between a 5.56 and .223 is the rifle throat.. the 5.56 is generally longer. The cartridge dimensions are the same.

223vs556.jpg

To keep this in perspective these are the dimensions of a particular brand of chamber reamers, not the cartridges. 5.56 chambers are a bit looser and have more freebore.

As Certaindeaf alluded to, for a given bullet, 5.56 cartridges generally have their bullets seated further out. This is the real reason you don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

To keep this in perspective these are the dimensions of a particular brand of chamber reamers, not the cartridges. 5.56 chambers are a bit looser and have more freebore.

As Certaindeaf alluded to, for a given bullet, 5.56 cartridges generally have their bullets seated further out. This is the real reason you don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber.

Hmm. I thought it was the pressure of 5.56 vs .223, or is the possible over pressure of 5.56 due to the seating?

-sorry on the thread derail.

Simples answers.

Get the 2 die set for .223 Rem. with full length re-sizer die.

Small rifle primers. Mag or standard rifle, will depend on the powder and what your reloading manual says for the load data.

More complex answers are available. But, why make things harder than it has to be at this point?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Welcome to reloading 223. The 223-specific things you need to know:
* Reloading-wise, 223 Rem and 556 NATO the same cartridge (but slightly different chambers). Most manuals have a single chapter for 223 Rem/556 NATO. 556 has a harder primer (e.g., CCI #41) than 223 (e.g., CCI #400). Same dies, same bullets, same powders. In the manuals with separate 223 and 556, you might see just slightly higher max pressure in 556. Bear in mind, the real difference is the chamber, not the cartridge itself (556 chamber is a bit roomier than 223, Wylde chamber is in the middle).
* Factory NATO is about 5% faster than most factory 223.
* FL sizing dies come in two flavors: regular and small base (SB). SB sizes the brass body a hair more for more reliable gas-operated feeding. That said, I've never heard anyone complain about regular dies. I use regular dies on the theory they work the brass less which may reduce trimming.
* Primer pockets may have crimps. Swaging them out is best practice, but I use my brass prep center: check for crimp using pocket uniforming bit, and ream away crimps on the chamfer bit.

Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads