JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If SHTF is a consideration, then I agree that sticking with either the cartridges of our forces (5.56x45/7.62x51) or those of the other potential combatant so scrounging ammo could help out. I guess it depends on how far we want to go down that road (scrounging) we want to go. It is conceivable that repair parts would also be necessary, in which case the initial firearm itself should be one used by one of the combatants, not a highly customized one like a piston AR. But I think that gets into an entire other thread.

Certainly, staying with either 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 would make things easier. And the 5.56x45 military ammo will make it to 600 yards, just not with much r power in the 5.56, and military ball isn't known for terrific accuracy in either cartridge....sniper ammo excluded.

In the worst scenario I can imagine, there might be some NATO caliber weapons and/or ammo left around.

Just a thought, but if your going to hand load you may want to look into the option of a 6mm/223. Better legs down range and less wind drift... and it's a simple conversion. You can even get a pre-chambered and threaded barrel from several places...I know, just what you need...more options!! Good shooting, Gary

If it were me I'd seriously look into loading your own ammo. Not only for the reason that you can save some money, buy it really allows you to tune your specific load to do what you're wanting it to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top