JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have a question that maybe you could help clear up for me. I have a mini 14 in 223 and I bought a while back about 5 boxes of winchester 5.56. My understanding was that 5.56 and .223 were virtually the same. I heard someone say that they are not and 5.56 should be shot out of a barrel rifled specifically for this caliber.

Is that correct? I've shot about 3 of those boxes through my mini 14 and they shot fine. Was that a big mistake? If so, what kind of damage could I have caused. What's your take on this?

According to Ruger, 5.56 and .223 is fine in the mini. As stated in the online manual found on their site, "The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

According to Ruger, 5.56 and .223 is fine in the mini. As stated in the online manual found on their site, "The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S. military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice."

Awesome, thanks Pakrat57. I bought it used but it hadn't occured to me to check the ruger website for the manual. I appreciate it.

5.56 military is loaded to higher pressures. It should not be used in 223 barrels UNLESS the manufacturer ok's it. Which Ruger does. With that said, it may of course wear your Ruger out at a slightly higher raten than lower pressure 223....
Awesome, thanks Pakrat57. I bought it used but it hadn't occured to me to check the ruger website for the manual. I appreciate it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top