JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Contrary to what many believe, standard FMJ, including 62 gr M855/SS109 FMJ, is also not very good against glass."

Regarding M855 AP

I've shot through glass, all sorts of different widths of plate steel and cast no problem. I'm not saying its better than M995/3; but it does penatrate glass easily

I don't know what to think about this comment.

"Contrary to what many believe, standard FMJ, including 62 gr M855/SS109 FMJ, is also not very good against glass."

Regarding M855 AP

I've shot through glass, all sorts of different widths of plate steel and cast no problem. I'm not saying its better than M995/3; but it does penatrate glass easily

I don't know what to think about this comment.

Just about anything will penetrate glass. What it does after is the important part.

exactly.. a .22lr will penetrate even most windshield glass, on the first shot, if you hit it at the right angle.. and most definitely on the second shot.

it's the terminal ballistics we're interested in.. intermediate barrier penetration is only a topic of discussion by how it effects terminal ballistics.

after exiting the glass, how has the trajectory changed? will be be consistent? more questions that matter only in relation to getting to the important part- term ballistics.

if a round's completely deformed/destroyed, a sapped of most of it's energy, it's not going to perform once it gets to it's intended backstop.

"The best LE 5.56 mm/.223 loads for intermediate barrier penetration using 1/9 and faster twist barrels are the 62 gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical (LE223T3) and the similarly performing 55 gr Federal bonded JSP load"

I ain't buyin' it. A 55 gr bullet is too short for any twist faster than 1:9. You can't count on it to stabilize from a 1:7 twist, especially a short barrel but even in a longer barrel. If you want max penetration leaving good terminal performance, the bullet needs to be flying as straight and stable as possible. I really like the 55 gr; it just needs a slower twist - max 1:9.

exactly.. a .22lr will penetrate even most windshield glass, on the first shot, if you hit it at the right angle.. and most definitely on the second shot.

it's the terminal ballistics we're interested in.. intermediate barrier penetration is only a topic of discussion by how it effects terminal ballistics.

after exiting the glass, how has the trajectory changed? will be be consistent? more questions that matter only in relation to getting to the important part- term ballistics.

if a round's completely deformed/destroyed, a sapped of most of it's energy, it's not going to perform once it gets to it's intended backstop.

Any idea how the MK318 62gr stacks up? Supposed to be a better penetrator, but it's only what I've read:

USMC adopt new 5.56mm MK318 MOD 0 ammunition | The Firearm Blog

Any idea how the MK318 62gr stacks up? Supposed to be a better penetrator, but it's only what I've read:

USMC adopt new 5.56mm MK318 MOD 0 ammunition | The Firearm Blog

The fact that it's formed from a single piece of metal, the bullet is probably more accurate than those that rely on uniform placement of a separate "penetrator" like in the SS-109 bullet.

As for the MK319 130 gr 7.62 round, I don't see it being all that effective at extended ranges. More for the short barreled weapons but not the M-24. For longer ranges the 173/175 gr bullet is still better. Reduced recoil seems to be the objective in the new round. What ever happened to the troops that could handle the recoil of a 1903 A3 in 30-06?

What ever happened to the troops that could handle the recoil of a 1903 A3 in 30-06?

We still have civilians who kill deer and elk reliably with '06 and better - even sporterized 1903's. In the desert areas of the West, 500 yard shots aren't unheard of.

Now, a select-fire '06 or M-14? I dunno about that. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top