JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was at the gun range today I picked up some 5.56 casings. All of the casings are longer than my 223 so should I trim them the same length? Also when I reload them should I use the same amount of powder as when I reload the 223?

First is your rifle chambered for 5.56 or .223?
The reading I've done says there is a difference in the shoulders between them. This is why it is recommended to not fire 5.56 through a .223 chamber. I've never owned a .223 weapon only 5.56 so I'm sure others will have more info than me.
As far as trimming and loading I size and trim my brass for both the same. You can see some variation in case volume from one brand to another though especially if you are loading hotter loads.
The first rule I've always seen the old timers give is start slow and work it up.

Guys... .223 and 5.56 have identical cartridge dimensions, the only difference is the pressure tolerances, 5.56 pressures are always higher than for .223. The major physical difference between the two is the 5.56 chamber has a looser throat to lower the engraving force of the bullet.

So to answer your question concisely, trim your brass to the same length!

I trim to 1.745" and load to an OAL of 2.245". 2.26" is the max COL, and usually if you're longer than 2.255 you can have feeding issues in AR's and some rounds won't fit inside the magazine or won't feed reliably.

I cut all brass to the same length so when I'm crimping it I get a nice uniform crimp.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top