JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out today and I think I noticed a difference between M855 and Ball ammo @30 yards... is it just me or will I see a big difference between the two. It was zeroed with ball ammo, then the M855 was shooting high.

It totally could have been my aim however...

You'll find between different manufacturers of the same weight bullet you will have POI shifts, how much, also depends, only way to know for sure is to test with your specific rifle. So many variables to consider, on top of the most influential, the human, best thing to do if you want your bullet to hit where you aim it every time is to only ever use the same ammo, otherwise you will have varying degrees of POI shift.

See: military where they have standard loadings and standard zero's so everything functions the same, all the time.

Edit: velocity between loadings obviously will make a difference, not all ammo is loaded to the same velocity (range).

Last Edited:
I'm not a long range shooter but I've always heard faster tends to be a flatter trajectory, resulting in a lower point of impact. Was your FMJ a lighter faster round then the 855?

Barrel length will affect it.
I have two AR pistol with 11 inch barrels give or take a few inches.
M855 green tip.
Is all over the place.
But 55 grain is pretty right on.
But both work in my ARs with 16 inch barrels with very little difference.
I even got a a 18 inch barrel gun .
But I have not been able to get out more than a hundred yards.
Because of where I shoot that's about the limit.

Accuracy difference between the 55 grain and 62 grain FMJ bullets at 30 yards? Probably not as a rule. Even out to 200 yards there won't generally be much of a difference, although different manufacturers can show variations.

Beyond 200 yards is where the 62 grain FMJ performs better in the 1-9" or tighter twist rates. I've used it out to 500 and it does reasonably well.

I was out today and I think I noticed a difference between M855 and Ball ammo @30 yards... is it just me or will I see a big difference between the two. It was zeroed with ball ammo, then the M855 was shooting high.

You're describing a change in the point of impact, not a change in accuracy. Two different loads will usually have a different ballistic arc, even if they are of comparable accuracy.

Simply put, an accurate gun might cluster 5 rounds into a nice ragged hole, even if you're off the bullseye. Just adjust aim or adjust scope.

An inaccurate gun might eventually hit the bullseye, but good luck doing it again.

It totally could have been my aim however...

At 30 yards, you shouldn't notice much difference, but it depends on how precise you are trying to be. Even different lots from the same brand, bullet weight will result in differences. The best way to get supper accurate and consistent ammo is to reload. Other than that, find what brand, weight works best in your gun, and stick to that. At 30 yards though, were kind of splitting hairs.

It can be very accutate, especially if you customize it, like a free floating barrel upper, target trigger, and good ammo.

I would bet a large amount of money that you are responding to a sarcastic comment that was lost in translation over the internet - there are A LOT of really informed people here who like to be sarcastic - just FYI - and welcome!

In the A-2 HBAR 16 inch, we were consistently getting Min. of Bad Guy out to 600 meters with the M855 ammo, and these were still 1/9 twist, when we went to the first gen M-4 with it's 14.5 inch barrel and 1/8 twist, we didn't loose much in range and accuracy, it was the shorter MK-18 Mod Zero or the C.A.R. 15 commando with the 1/7 twist and M855 that really screwed up the works, we had better results going back to M-193, but even then, range was only 400 meters on a good day! M-262 did much better in the accuracy dept, but range was still limited to around 400+ meters! Keep in mind, this was in regular Mil. Spec weapons, nothing crazy or "Race Gun!" Today, my C.A.R. 15 Commando replica 11.5 inch 1/8 wylde will launch the equivalent of M-262 out to around 500 meters or so with min.of bad guy accuracy! Not to shabby all things considered!

M855 is known to have lower accuracy due to the construction of the bullet. It also fails to yaw in some rifles as reliably as M193.

Will you see significant differences at 30 yards? Probably not. It will be there tho if you look.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top