JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just looking for suggestions for Self Defense rounds for a stock, low end, AR.

What and Where did you find (meaning for a reasonable price)

I was browsing around Cabella's yesturday, and didn't find any. Good selection of ammo - none I spotted labeled for Self Defense.

No I don't need a case, just a few boxes of 20, to verify it cycles the MSR and to keep a 20rnd mag loaded and handy.

TIA

I doubt you are going to find many rifle rounds listed as "self defense " although I am sure many are well suited.

My guess is if you have to put a couple into someone to stop them that even ball is going to be pretty effective. If it's self defence we are talking under 25 feet. Shoot a watermelon at 25 feet with a M855 and tell me you think you need special ammo.

Here is Hornady - SD ammo

<broken link removed>
They also list an 55gr version.

TAP pre-dates their current Critical Defense / Critical Duty.

<broken link removed>

I assume there are other manufacturers.

Not really self defense per say but I grabbed a few boxes of Hornady Zombie Max.... if it works on walkers should be the same for the non-dead :D

<broken link removed>

Black Hills 77 gr OTM (Open Tip Match) AKA MK262 Mod 0/1. Works good on humans, best if they're wearing heavy clothing. Very accurate, nice shock from the relatively heavy bullet, makes a pretty nasty wound, good penetration, reduced flash.
That's what I use and I like 'em.

Tumbling doesn't happen reliably with the current common rates of twist. The first guns had one in 14 twist I believe.

I went through the same questions as the OP. I finally decided what loaded ammo was out there was too rare and too expensive, so I bought a box of Nosler 64gr bonded bullets and loaded my own. Such bonded bullets are considered "barrier blind", expand at low velocities and hold together at high velocities. They also will work in both one in 9 and one in 7.5 twist - it's not a good idea to have to segregate ammo by the rifle. If I had loaded the 77gr bullets, I wouldn't have been able to shoot it in my one in 9 guns.

The Speer 64grain gold dots are also bonded soft points. From that palmetto state armory link posted above. Basically the same bullet as fusion MSR and 62 grain fusion from federal. They are barrier blind, and claim to expand in short barrels up to 200 yards. Most gel tests show them penetrating around 18". I just bought 1800 rounds to keep for defense after zeroing the guns to them. I would recommend something like that, or 77 OTM, 75, 69 Sierra matchbullets, but I do have a 1-9 twist AR as well which the 64 grain will work with and the 77 won't. The Speer gold dots are a bargain at .50 per round compared to everything else.

Winchester Ranger 223 Rem 64gr Power Point aka Winchester Super-X 223 Rem 64gr Power Point. I believe that both have the same soft point projectiles, just different packaging.

Or the spendy stuff Winchester PDX1 Defender 223 Rem 60gr with Split Core Technology.

I'm not sure why you want to get any defence ammo for 223/556. There are better calibers if you are changing what the gun is made for.
But an AR is the ladt this g I would use in the house for SD. Or any rifle caliber for that matter.
Plus you are still betting that the round won't just glide thru someone and a couple more walls

I run the Speer Gold dot loads in 64 and 75 gr as well as the black hills 77 gr hollow points for most of my non home defensive us.

Let me pose a question to you all and see what your thoughts are.
A 55 gr hollow point vermin round is designed to expand explosively at impact and that creates a massive wound with out much penetration. If it does penetrate, it is only a few inches at most. If that is true, then why are so many people against using these as defensive rounds ( besides little penetration) In my mind, even a very difficult shot at extream angles and with heavy clothing, this round would cause a very large and incapacitating injury, and even if it were not lethal it would stop that tango from posing further risk! I would also point out in the testing I have done with these rounds, that they do not penetrate barriers very well, which in a defensive case would be ideal, at least in most situations, I.E. home defense. As noted above, I am currently using heavy rounds that offer lots of penetration and long range, but these are for threat engagements beyond close defense encounters or out side the home.

I'm not sure why you want to get any defence ammo for 223/556. There are better calibers if you are changing what the gun is made for.
But an AR is the ladt this g I would use in the house for SD. Or any rifle caliber for that matter.
Plus you are still betting that the round won't just glide thru someone and a couple more walls
I totally agree as far as "in the house" is concerned, there are better choices. I'm grabbing my MK23 with PDX1 in my house.

But I'm not knocking anyone for choosing the AR15. It is hard to beat as an all-around SD weapon. It works well for CQB, such as in homes (come visit me in hodgieland and watch in real life). It is one of the best choices for accurate, rapid fire, follow up shots. And if (I know it's rare for now) you have a bad guy outside shooting at you, an AR is a much better choice than a handgun.

Don't believe everything you hear or read. 5.56 makes people very dead. Every day.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top