Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

5.45X39 Ammo. Steel casings/corrosive

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by adipose, May 10, 2010.

1. adipose

adipose Warren Member

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R&groupid=33

Has anyone used this type of ammo for their AK74. It doesn't state corrosive, but I'm sure it is.

Also, can steel casings affect the operation vs brass (never shot steel cases).

Is it ok to shoot corrosive ammo (never shot it before also). It seems to be the deal these days for the AK types of firearms.

Thanks, Chuck

2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Your AK is designed to shoot steel cased corrosive ammo and will do so with aplomb.

3. Generator

Generator Bend Member

Best deal on the -74 is at centerfiresystems.com
    I've been shooting this ammo - its fine, you won't be able to reload like you can with brass, but its cheap ammo.
    corrosive ammo isn't going to kill your rifle, just remember to clean your bolt face gas tube and barrel every time - which on an AK is quick.

4. adipose

adipose Warren Member

Yes, for non-corrosive, centerfiresystems.com sells 1,000 rounds 60g FMJ (Wolf) for 229.99 (plus 25.00 shipping).

But if you looked at the link I had above, you can get (2) tins (2,160 rounds) for 239.00 (plus 55.00 shipping). Of course, it is corrosive.

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

$299 incl shipping for 2,160 a couple weeks ago from Ammoman. Got here in a week. I consider all milspec communist bloc ammo to be corrosive and non reloadable. In some cases Wolf is the exception.

6. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Yes, I used it when I shot my Polish Tantal. It is corrosive. It shoots fine. When I finished my range trip, I went home, ran my bore-snake through the bore a few times, and then ran patch that had been soaked in hoppe's no. 9 though, then a few dry patches, then a patch wet with breakfree. I leave the bore wet with breakfree. Then I just run the boresnake through before I shoot (probably unnecessary, but I do it anyway). All the corrosive ammo does is attract moisture. If you take care of your barrel, you will be fine shooting this ammo.

7. oregonswamper

oregonswamper Salem Active Member

next portland show i will have russian 5.45x39 149.95 for 1080 or 279.95 for 2160rds:thumbup:

8. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

good price on the full case.

9. oregonswamper

also if you let me know your from NW firearms ill take another 10 bucks of per case. most of my ammo ill make a deal for the good folk that hang out around here at the show or at my shop in salem.

10. creamridge

creamridge portland New Member

the 21st-the 23rd? will you have a bunch? or do i have to be first inline to snag one of these tins?

11. oregonswamper

I have a large amount. If you let me know ahead of time i can hold whatever amount back you need. Just let me know.

12. Phonelesscord

Phonelesscord Portland, Oregon Member

oregonswamper: Will your booth be recognizable?

Thanks!

13. oregonswamper

Phoneless, just look for the "NW AMMO SUPPLY" sign. Not sure where Wes will put me sense it will only be my second show at Portland. Should have 6 tables of ammo and 6-8 pallets on the ground trying to compete with the big boys.

14. 9mmD

9mmD sw wa Member

If I can score my upper put me down for a case. (so is that 269. ?) also how bout .223?(no steel)