JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking about getting a 5.11 tactical vest. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm thinking it would be useful for hauling around mags and other junk while shooting. It also has a feature to conceal a pistol - not sure how well that actually works, or if I'd be better off just using a belt-holster and using this to cover it up (which I also wonder if it's long enough to do).

I've thought about getting a plate-carrier/MOLLE vest, but those seem too "tactical" and I'd like something I can wear out into public w/o drawing a bunch of attention to myself. The 5.11 vest seems to fit that purpose.

Are there other vests I should be considering that fit these needs?

If you get one you have to carry a 1911 and wear it bowling.

big_lebowski_walter_gun.jpg

OFA is a 5.11 stocking dealer. We used to stock the vests in the Pro Shop. They're a great vest but are sized odd - or at least they used to be. I for example wear a Medium...however I couldn't even zip their medium up because it was so tight and their large was like a lttle kid wearing his dad's jacket. So try before you buy. Cabelas had some in their bargin cave online - check those out.

I have a couple of 511 vests, one tan and one black. Like anything else, I wear them where the style of dress is appropriate. Downtown big city is probably going to get you more attention than you want. I'm comfortable with mine in the burbs and in more rural environments like where I live. Anyplace where "outdoor/hiking/camping/fishing etc" clothing is appropriate will allow you to carry most anything you want in and under them without raising an eyebrow. They are well made although pretty "heavy duty" and obviously look best with jeans, boots, and other garments one would where while in the great outdoors.

Ditto to the comments against wearing a tactical or "photo" vest for public concealed carry. It will catch any lawman's glance, and every felon knows that a photo vest-wearer is likely packing and should be clubbed from behind to steal their gun. Good for the shooting range, or for investigating "bumps in the night", but not for public wear........................elsullo

While I'm not sure I agree completely, you folks have made me think about vest wearing and caused me to spend some time on other sights reading what others have said about them. What I came away with is that mostly unfashionable old retired guys in cold and cool parts of the country wear them. Also that "gun people" do identify them with concealed carry while "non gun people" seldom, if ever, give them a second thought. I qualify as an old and unfashionable retired guy :) What I notice is untucked shirts over tee-shirts, people tugging at their pants when they stand up or get out of a car, people carrying large and seemingly heavy daytimers into restaurants, fanny packs, and people who keep their sport coat or suit jacket on when others around them take theirs off. I guess its all perception. I have frequently been in the presence of LEO's and not one has ever seemed to notice my vest or given me a second thought.

In any regard, it gives me a good reason to be more cognizant of where I wear a vest and more aware of other peoples ideas and experiences.

Also that "gun people" do identify them with concealed carry while "non gun people" seldom, if ever, give them a second thought. What I notice is untucked shirts over tee-shirts, people tugging at their pants when they stand up or get out of a car, people carrying large and seemingly heavy daytimers into restaurants, fanny packs, and people who keep their sport coat or suit jacket on when others around them take theirs off. I guess its all perception. I have frequently been in the presence of LEO's and not one has ever seemed to notice my vest or given me a second thought.

I have also noticed that people are seldom aware of their surroundings, much less whether someone is wearing a gun. I used to conceal my G19 under an un-tucked t-shirt. Nobody ever mentioned it. I once got chatted-up by a LEO in a park and he didn't mention it - never quite sure whether he didn't notice or just let it slide since I was some skinny, white, middle-class guy. However, it was a good moment of reflection on whether I was taking concealment seriously enough.

Back to my vest issue, I was thinking a 5.11 vest would be useful for carrying around extra rifle mags. I guess that if I have rifle mags, I'd have a rifle - ergo, conceal-ability issues wouldn't be as important :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top