Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

5.11 Tactical Vest

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Sun195, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about getting a 5.11 tactical vest. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm thinking it would be useful for hauling around mags and other junk while shooting. It also has a feature to conceal a pistol - not sure how well that actually works, or if I'd be better off just using a belt-holster and using this to cover it up (which I also wonder if it's long enough to do).

I've thought about getting a plate-carrier/MOLLE vest, but those seem too "tactical" and I'd like something I can wear out into public w/o drawing a bunch of attention to myself. The 5.11 vest seems to fit that purpose.

Are there other vests I should be considering that fit these needs?

2. friskydingo

friskydingo Oregon, NorCal, and Panama. Yes. All three New Member

looks like a hunting vest. tacticool or bust

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If you get one you have to carry a 1911 and wear it bowling.

big_lebowski_walter_gun.jpg

4. Sun195

I thought about going with a hunting vest, but this has pockets sized for AR15 mags and some other useful features.

Cool - I've been looking for an excuse to get a 1911.

5. friskydingo

friskydingo Oregon, NorCal, and Panama. Yes. All three New Member

well, if you like it, get it. bowling is fun!

6. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

As long as you don't mind people thinking that you are a cop and/or mall-ninja from the moment they see you coming down the block... ;)

7. Sun195

Good point - well, I'd go with a plate carrier, but it'd have to stop a .338 Lapua. :laugh:

Maybe I should just look at a hunting/camera/whatever vest instead.

8. emanon

Personally when I use a vest I go with a simple fleece like half the people in the western US wear for half the year. If you really like the other kind, I'd go with something a little more sporty (but still stylish!), such as this Columbia vest: http://www.rei.com/product/747056

9. caliber bob

caliber bob Yamhill County, OR. Member

John Goodman is such a turd. The first rule of gun safety is to point the gun in a safe direction. I don't know about you guys, but every time I see that picture, I'm lookin right down the barrel. Thanks Joey:bluelaugh:

10. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

OFA is a 5.11 stocking dealer. We used to stock the vests in the Pro Shop. They're a great vest but are sized odd - or at least they used to be. I for example wear a Medium...however I couldn't even zip their medium up because it was so tight and their large was like a lttle kid wearing his dad's jacket. So try before you buy. Cabelas had some in their bargin cave online - check those out.

11. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

I have a couple of 511 vests, one tan and one black. Like anything else, I wear them where the style of dress is appropriate. Downtown big city is probably going to get you more attention than you want. I'm comfortable with mine in the burbs and in more rural environments like where I live. Anyplace where "outdoor/hiking/camping/fishing etc" clothing is appropriate will allow you to carry most anything you want in and under them without raising an eyebrow. They are well made although pretty "heavy duty" and obviously look best with jeans, boots, and other garments one would where while in the great outdoors.

12. Aristotle13

Aristotle13 Kent, WA Member

A very large majority of IDPA shooters all use the 5.11 vest. To me, it just screams "I have a gun" in public.

13. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Ditto to the comments against wearing a tactical or "photo" vest for public concealed carry. It will catch any lawman's glance, and every felon knows that a photo vest-wearer is likely packing and should be clubbed from behind to steal their gun. Good for the shooting range, or for investigating "bumps in the night", but not for public wear........................elsullo

14. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

While I'm not sure I agree completely, you folks have made me think about vest wearing and caused me to spend some time on other sights reading what others have said about them. What I came away with is that mostly unfashionable old retired guys in cold and cool parts of the country wear them. Also that "gun people" do identify them with concealed carry while "non gun people" seldom, if ever, give them a second thought. I qualify as an old and unfashionable retired guy :) What I notice is untucked shirts over tee-shirts, people tugging at their pants when they stand up or get out of a car, people carrying large and seemingly heavy daytimers into restaurants, fanny packs, and people who keep their sport coat or suit jacket on when others around them take theirs off. I guess its all perception. I have frequently been in the presence of LEO's and not one has ever seemed to notice my vest or given me a second thought.

In any regard, it gives me a good reason to be more cognizant of where I wear a vest and more aware of other peoples ideas and experiences.

15. Sun195

I have also noticed that people are seldom aware of their surroundings, much less whether someone is wearing a gun. I used to conceal my G19 under an un-tucked t-shirt. Nobody ever mentioned it. I once got chatted-up by a LEO in a park and he didn't mention it - never quite sure whether he didn't notice or just let it slide since I was some skinny, white, middle-class guy. However, it was a good moment of reflection on whether I was taking concealment seriously enough.

Back to my vest issue, I was thinking a 5.11 vest would be useful for carrying around extra rifle mags. I guess that if I have rifle mags, I'd have a rifle - ergo, conceal-ability issues wouldn't be as important :laugh:

16. emanon

That depends on your situation. Personally I plan to have a rifle with me in as many situations as possible so keeping it concealed or at least obscured is part of that plan.