JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Diesel Blazers do not grow on trees, that is for sure. They are highly sought after by a lot of people, especially the WVO crowd. I went looking for a M1009 CUCV (diesel Blazer) a couple of years ago. I started looking on Government Liquidation and found, at least at that time, that all M1009s were sold out of a couple bases in the Southern US. There were none on the West Coast. I ended up buying the San Bernardino County fire chief's former command vehicle, an '87 diesel Blazer with 78k original miles. My intent was to do a vegetable oil conversion on it as I'm friends with Chris that owns Frybrid. I've decided that I'm not going to complete that project as after quitting my job to be self-employed I don't drive nearly enough to justify the hassle of dealing with WVO.

As far as 6.2s being junk, they really aren't. Actually they are quite robust engines and run forever if taken care of. The blocks do crack, that is their weakness. EVERY 6.2 needs a main girdle kit like this one <broken link removed> installed to prevent cracks from starting or getting worse. For a couple hundred dollars and a few hours under the truck you never have to worry about it again!

(BTW, if anybody wants to buy a rust free, low miles diesel K5 on 35s shoot me a PM!)

I had the 6.2 in a truck and ran the piss out of it.Then sold it to my friend and he ran some more out of it. 220k before he got rid of it.Only problem I had was the starter bolts breaking.

If you need a diesel truck/suv and the model doesn't have the engine you want,that's OK.The vehicle has all the goodies you need to install a diesel.If you aren't a diesel mechanic,retro fitting a diesel into a gas rig is a PITA,from what I have heard.
A guy up here has a Cummins in his chevy.I knew it sounded familiar and wasn't a 6.5

But with the waste fuel going up to 4.20 a gallon,I won't be keeping mine for long.

Landcruiser.

And you can see out of it.
My H3 is just the Adventure (Lockers)
one (100% stock) with the exemption of tru BFG 33s .
The only stock vehicle that both owners ended respecting each other has been the new Jeep Rubicon,
I'm sure the Landcruiser is one of them aswell ( can't wait for my buddy to get his out on the Road).
To bad didn't really get much snow this year (Mcminnville area) so I could let my vehicle do the talking.

1999 Jeep Cherokee SE is the one and only year to get. Hand operated window cranks. You don't want all the fancy headaches. Rock solid reliable. Large spline rear axles shafts like a half ton. 297x front axle joints like a half ton. 190hp 225ftlb torque motor with revised cooling and head. 2000 on had head cracking issues. Pre 1997 had rod knocking issues and wrist pin failure.

I've owned 11 of them in my life this was my last one I should have never sold. 4 1/2" lift 8x15 factory canyon wheels with 31x10.50 tires. I took it everywhere. Just like franks red hot!

DFDAD189-AE25-4FDB-9D03-4AD92C33261D.jpeg 5F4591EA-3E61-49F6-A9EC-82DCB713CF0B.jpeg D3D46255-3341-4FBC-9474-70C804A70ECD.jpeg E81F6CD2-D3B8-4AC7-BB48-B09F9A4D32DE.jpeg FED6C687-52C9-4531-9D39-2A37870CD4FF.jpeg 844AC6C5-7D03-4C6F-B340-50E8BEBE6BFD.jpeg

I wheeled, axle swapped, lifted, locked, regeared, dual xfercased Toyota's back in the 90s spend lots of time and money to get into all kinds of crazy places.

Now I have a 2018 Silverado that's can pretty much do everything better. Could use a winch and some armor but the old stuff really isnt better.

My fjcruiser kills it off road, drives nice on the street but gets crappy mpg. You cant haul much but they are toyota reliable and hold their value well and if tows 2-3k pounds real easy. I advise the stick shift as you get the bonus of it bieng all whell drive which is generally enough and i really only need to use 4low just to lower the gearing. Ive pulled out about 15 trucks with the winch and its never had to pull me out yet.

I'd appreciate your input on this:

My wife and I are preparing to buy a fairly large chunk of land; roads are likely to be "logging" quality, but we are sure to want to be able to go off road as well. Mind, we are not contemplating "wheeling". It has been over 10 years that we've had a 4wd vehicle, so I am a bit out of the loop, so to speak.

We've formerly owned a 1979 Suburban K20 (sorry I sold that!) and we really like the utility of it, but might want something a little smaller. Pickups are fine, not sure about SUVs as most do not seem perform well off-road.

Above all I want it to reliable and dependable. Reasonable purchase price is nice, decent mileage does not hurt either.

Ideas?

Thanks
It seems Toyota is still the benchmark of reliability.
A RAV4 is the first thing that comes to mind, but there are several 4by's available through them. Check their website and see what best suits your needs.

Dean

It seems Toyota is still the benchmark of reliability.
A RAV4 is the first thing that comes to mind, but there are several 4by's available through them. Check their website and see what best suits your needs.

Dean

Wow! I posted this thread in...2010! Nearly 10 years later and still getting replies.

I eventually did buy a Toyota Tacoma, but it took me until early 2017. Picked up a lightly 2012 Tacoma TRD OR with 4000(!) miles for a crazy good deal. It has served me well through two household moves and an epic trip to Baja -- took a few weeks off before starting a new job.

Cheers,
DJM

IMG_0227(1).JPG

Wow! I posted this thread in...2010! Nearly 10 years later and still getting replies.

I eventually did buy a Toyota Tacoma, but it took me until early 2017. Picked up a lightly 2012 Tacoma TRD OR with 4000(!) miles for a crazy good deal. It has served me well through two household moves and an epic trip to Baja -- took a few weeks off before starting a new job.

Cheers,
DJM

View attachment 666118
Yep, told cha so.:s0124:

When I was a kid there was a magazine called "PV4", which stood for Pick-up, Van and 4wheel drive.
My dad subscribed to it.
They'd do a lot of reviews in that mag and one I remember was on a small Austrian truck called a Haflinger.
It was made by Styer-Puch.
I thought that was the coolest truck I'd ever seen (I think I was 10 years old at the time ;) ).
That Volvo kinda reminds me of one.

1583431506510.png
1583431597580.png

...they were chick magnets, too....

1583431660981.png

...;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show