JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One more plug for the 4.0l cherokee, i just got one 2 weeks ago and got 18mpg on my first tank with an automatic. They can be had cheap, i paid 500 for mine, and i had no problem keeping up with my buddys 87 yota on the farm. I'm not a huge jeep fan, but they are a great value, and easy to work on (so far).

I have had toyotas and cherokees, my choice would be the cherokee. When my friends toyota get stuck I get the call. Solid axel front I6 for power cheap lifts and lockers. I would say for under $1500 dollars if you shop right you could be locked up on 33s. Cherokees run from $500 on up.

If you aren't doing serious off roading and are on a budget, I would recommend the Jeep Patriot. Mine with studded snow tires is practically impossible to get stuck. They use the ABS system to limit wheel slip and it diverts power to the other wheels as well. During our snow days last few years I was having a ball just driving on through some pretty deep stuff. Another advantage is it is not as heavy as some SUV's and smaller so it won't bog down as easily and can be more maneuverable if thats an issue. Averaging 23 MPG doesn't hurt either as a daily driver.

I have had three Jeep Cherokees so I'd vote for them as well but the Patriot's 4X4 system is better than the Cherokees.

If you aren't doing serious off roading and are on a budget, I would recommend the Jeep Patriot. Mine with studded snow tires is practically impossible to get stuck. They use the ABS system to limit wheel slip and it diverts power to the other wheels as well. During our snow days last few years I was having a ball just driving on through some pretty deep stuff. Another advantage is it is not as heavy as some SUV's and smaller so it won't bog down as easily and can be more maneuverable if thats an issue. Averaging 23 MPG doesn't hurt either as a daily driver.

I have had three Jeep Cherokees so I'd vote for them as well but the Patriot's 4X4 system is better than the Cherokees.
Are the patriots even 4x4? I think they are AWD, not 4WD (no low range transfer case).

I'd go with an XJ (Cherokee) from 87-2001, with the 4.0 and the automatic transmission (AW4). Tranfer cases are both decent, the NP231 (command trac) or the NP242 (selec-trac). Rear axles in the older ones do not hold up to larger tires but for a stock rig, I don't think you can beat it. Do not get an 84-86 at all. Bad engines, bad transmission, weaker transfer cases, etc.

Ford F250 or F350 diesel in 4wd.

more than likely you are gonig to need to pull, transport and carry material from one end of the property to the other to include getting fence posts from the store etc.

go big or stay home.

I am a HUGE fan of Jeep Wranglers. I would recommend a newer Unlimited if you need a 4dr or just a 2dr with a utilty trailer.

Unless you actually need a pickup bed, then probably a toyota tacoma. Both will hold their resale value very well.

I'm a hardcore wheeler and have been for 25 years. My suggestion is an '87-'95 Nissan Pathfinder. Their drivetrains are strong and reliable and they will out-wheel *any* other IFS SUV or pickup truck. They are also quite comfortable and civilized with very car-like handling on tarmac. Road and Track always called them the "Driver's SUV". The only real downside to a Pathy is they do not have the seemingly endless aftermarket support that Toys and Jeeps do. You can easily buy everything you may ever want for one but you won't have your choice of 10 manufacturers for lift kits, bumpers, etc. You said you're not interested in wheeling, from what your situation describes I think a stock Pathfinder might be ideal for you. If you don't wheel it hard you probably can't break it. If you do wheel it hard add a $30 steering idler brace and you probably can't break it if you try. I wheel mine hard and the only strengthened suspension or steering part is the idler arm brace. An SE V6 Pathy with the off road package has four wheel disk brakes, rear LSD, 4.62 gears, and rolls on 31-10.5-15 tires stock. Late ones have ABS as well though I prefer vehicles without it as they work better in snow and ice. Check out the forum at NPORA, the Nissan Pathfinder Off Road Association if you're interested in more information. Feel free to look me up over there, my username is the same as here. Here's a shot of my '88 Pathy on 33s from a recent club trail run on the 311 at Evans Creek:

View attachment 199228

:D

Are the patriots even 4x4? I think they are AWD, not 4WD (no low range transfer case).

I'd go with an XJ (Cherokee) from 87-2001, with the 4.0 and the automatic transmission (AW4). Tranfer cases are both decent, the NP231 (command trac) or the NP242 (selec-trac). Rear axles in the older ones do not hold up to larger tires but for a stock rig, I don't think you can beat it. Do not get an 84-86 at all. Bad engines, bad transmission, weaker transfer cases, etc.

Patriot is not AWD like a Subaru because it is FWD until you engage the 4x4 system. Then it senses wheel slip and transfers power when needed. In theory, you could have one wheel with traction and drag yourself out. The original poster said he wasn't into serious off roading so I don't think he would need low ranges. I had two 93 Cherokees and one 88. You can switch off all the electronic gizmos in the Patriot and spin all four wheels if you really want to...:) Its not as tough as a Wrangler or Cherokee but it handles nasty conditions quite well. If I was into serious off road stuff like the previous post then I would get a Wrangler but at the time I got my Patriot, gasoline was about $3.50 and I had a 70 mile round trip commute. Now I have a 4 mile commute so I just can't win... :(

The road up to Memaloose, two lifted Wranglers got a bit further in but they had to turn back as well. I even had to back out of the trail to let them go by and then crawl back onto the road and followed them out. They offered me a pull but I didn't need it. I would love to have a Wrangler but my Patriot does just fine.... :) One day I'll get a real Jeep... :)

Patriotinthesnow.jpg

Hummer! Taken ours on several off road trips....never been stuck. Lockers included for free! 6.0 engine gets about 12mpg. When towing mileage stays the same. You can get used H2's for around $20000 now and their a classic,. LOL

well it i was getting an SUV i'd go with the chevy tahoe,1999 or newer. toyota's are awsome and ive owned one.but they are not very comfortable and very small.i'd would steer away from any straight axle rig, unless you want to "wheel it".they do not ride smooth, and if your not doing any serious wheeling you dont need the extra clearance.

this pickup works for me :)

DSCN4066.jpg

Line #1
VIN Code:
F26 - F250 4 Wheel Drive
S - V8 - 400cid - 2BBL Carb - 1977-80
R - San Jose, CA

Line #2
W.B. 133 - 133 inches
Color A - Raven Black
F266 - 3/4 Ton (4X4) (6,500-8,400 GVWR max)
Body CA4 - Ranger XLT (Black Vinyl and Black Cloth)
Trans A- 4 Speed Manual, New Process 435
Axel B4J- Dana (Spicer) 60 Rear Axle, 4:10 Ratio, limited slip w/ Power Steering
Front Axle J- Dana 44

Line #3
G.V.W. - 08400
D.S.O. A7 - Pacific (Lincoln/Mercury)

DSCN4091.jpg

Not to threadjack, but I have a growing interest in light wheeling and dispersed car camping, and I'm hoping to get started building a rig that is a balance between driveable as a second car, but capable for medium duty wheeling. Anybody know of any good forums I should check out, especially if they are NW specific like this one is?

Thanks guys.

Not to threadjack, but I have a growing interest in light wheeling and dispersed car camping, and I'm hoping to get started building a rig that is a balance between driveable as a second car, but capable for medium duty wheeling. Anybody know of any good forums I should check out, especially if they are NW specific like this one is?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like what I do! Except I wheel hard from time to time. :) NPORA that I mentioned above is a worldwide forum but is somewhat NW-centric as it's founder and much of the 'core group' are in the NW. Since you're in Seattle you're welcome to check out some of our local Pathfinders and will likely be invited to 'ride shotgun' on an upcoming trail run so you can see how they work in the woods. This goes for anyone reading this, PM me if you're interested in Pathfinders and I'll see if I can get you a ride-along in the woods so you can see how they work first-hand. :s0155:

BTW: My Pathy and I are currently staying in Seattle.

Sounds like what I do! Except I wheel hard from time to time. :) NPORA that I mentioned above is a worldwide forum but is somewhat NW-centric as it's founder and much of the 'core group' are in the NW. Since you're in Seattle you're welcome to check out some of our local Pathfinders and will likely be invited to 'ride shotgun' on an upcoming trail run so you can see how they work in the woods. This goes for anyone reading this, PM me if you're interested in Pathfinders and I'll see if I can get you a ride-along in the woods so you can see how they work first-hand. :s0155:

BTW: My Pathy and I are currently staying in Seattle.

Nice Pathfinder. :s0155:

Light wheelin', DD category....I'll parrot the other guys with the Cherokee....if you need more room, 1st gen Grand Cherokee.

There are a gazillion of them out there, tons of aftermarket support, CHEAP, and for the most part, reliable. ( Just do your homework on what models to shy away from )

Sites:

JeepForum.com - Jeep & Off-Road Discussion Community

PNWJeep.com • Index page

My DD bubblegum box:

IMG_1226.jpg

Thanks to both of the above posters. I'll check out the websites. I have a lot to learn, but I like Cherokees right now. I appreciate the offer for a ride along, i may be in touch in a few months once I've got a little more research under my belt. Thanks guys

Wow, I knew I'd get some good advice on this topic. I really appreciate all the insightful information. I've come to the conclusion that we are indeed likely to need more than once vehicle -- smaller SUV to get people to and fro and an honest full sized work truck.

Thanks again,
DJM

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews