JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A range where I'm a member was open today, members only, no public shooters. I haven't been for at least two years. Most of my shooting lately has been on DNR land. We had plans for today that we just couldn't abide following through on, due to anticipated masses of people, parking issues, few public comfort facilities, typical elder barriers. So I decided that the members only day at the range might be a good alternative.

I kept it simple, I took just the one M1 Rifle in .30-06 that I still have. 100 rounds of ball ammo, reload date 2017. Spotting scope and hearing protection, one paper target and target pasters.

When I got back, Mrs. Merkt asked me if I had enjoyed myself. Yeah, kinda. It hurts me to think about it but after six decades of being interested in guns and shooting, these days I just don't get all that much enjoyment out of it. A major issue I have is that I'm not as skilled of a rifleman as I used to be due to vision issues. Which is not uncommon with older shooters. At 100 yards, my percentage of shots kept within the size of a human head was about 85%. It's probably good enough defensive shooting, but I'm not gonna be the platoon sniper.

Now I have that least favorite chore after a return from the range. Cleaning the rifle.

When I got back, Mrs. Merkt asked me if I had enjoyed myself. Yeah, kinda. It hurts me to think about it but after six decades of being interested in guns and shooting, these days I just don't get all that much enjoyment out of it.
I would need to be personal friends with someone at the range to get the most out of a range day after nearly a lifetime of shooting experience. I go alone a lot, mostly actually... so I can relate to what your saying. I also shoot half the time on public lands because its so much easier and I shoot better alone without someone looming over me.

Get some good glass and something light shooting like a bolt action 223. Makes experimenting with loads and time at the general range punching paper at 100 a lot of fun.

punching paper at 100 yrds.... Well that gets old quick for everyone.
Agreed. This is why I have mostly quit going to the range and mostly returned to shooting on public lands. I am a life member at this range. Several weeks ago, the present VP of the range called to see if I was still alive. Really. Because they carry quite a number of inactive life members on the books. Who tend to become less active as they age, as I have.

BUT: My trips to the woods for unorganized shooting have become less interesting to me as an activity as well, from a purely shooting standpoint. The trip out and back provides some stimulation. Plus, I can wander around looking at stuff aside from just shooting.

Get some good glass and something light shooting like a bolt action 223. Makes experimenting with loads and time at the general range punching paper at 100 a lot of fun.
Yes, I''ve got some rifles like that too, have done those things. Over time, I got all my loads standardized. Then I played around with special purpose bullets of various kinds until I exhausted that. My chrono doesn't see much use these days.

Agreed. This is why I have mostly quit going to the range and mostly returned to shooting on public lands. I am a life member at this range. Several weeks ago, the present VP of the range called to see if I was still alive. Really. Because they carry quite a number of inactive life members on the books. Who tend to become less active as they age, as I have.

BUT: My trips to the woods for unorganized shooting have become less interesting to me as an activity as well, from a purely shooting standpoint. The trip out and back provides some stimulation. Plus, I can wander around looking at stuff aside from just shooting.

Yes, I''ve got some rifles like that too, have done those things. Over time, I got all my loads standardized. Then I played around with special purpose bullets of various kinds until I exhausted that. My chrono doesn't see much use these days.
I've got nothing after that!

I know what a rut feels like. Thankfully there are so many options these days of things one can try.

I hope you find the next thing that keeps you interested and involved in the shooting sports.

I'm running mostly on memories now too. The best times shooting was when I was still working. for several decades, nearly ever month of good weather I would invite the crew along with their families out to some coast range places I knew .
Being old, most friends dead, to have a smattering of age levels around was fun and educational. We would set up tables, canopies, pot luck food and barbeque. we would make an entire day out of it.
Kids, adults, and even the dogs, I never saw anyone that didn't have a good time, with the only requirement of safety first and police your brass. Those of us who had guns would share them with those who didn't. Those of us with firearm knowledge would share it with all interested (except the dogs)
Alas, now I'm retired, missing the interaction with those folks and kids, many who have moved on and away.
But worst of all, nearly all the places that would support such things have been gated up, the cost of ammunition does not allow it to free flow like it use to even with reloading, (I've given away thousands of rounds over the years)
Now the real fun has waned, I pay for range use, plinking at targets testing load developments or gun mods. The few times I shot with some other old cronies I invited, they lasted about 20 rounds, without saying, I think it is because they couldn't afford any more.
I now just go by myself. When my wife ask if I had a good time I just half heartedly say yes. I do, in a way, but it is a far cry from the good old days.

Old guy here re-energized by shooting steel at long range on private land...Instant feedback, instant gratification...Ring of a hit takes a while to get back to you though!

I spent 4 hours yesterday at my private club range as a safety adviser. I got to shoot a little, but it was a bit breezy for .22 rimfire at 100 yards. And my old eyes also aren't the greatest for AR iron sights at 100 and 200 yard steel gongs. What was more fun was offering my spotting scope and rest to some newer shooters struggling to get their 10-22 on paper at 100 yards, and assisting another members daughter reposition the scope on her .270 Win. Also letting the newer shooters try out my S&W M&P 15-22 was fun for them as well. I find time spent supporting and encouraging new shooters to be more enjoyable than testing loads and different rifles/handguns by myself.

Old guy here re-energized by shooting steel at long range on private land...Instant feedback, instant gratification...Ring of a hit takes a while to get back to you though!
+1. Whenever I get into a rut I take a couple of pistols and shoot steel targets. Immediate feedback and less hassle.

When I got back, Mrs. Merkt asked me if I had enjoyed myself. Yeah, kinda. It hurts me to think about it but after six decades of being interested in guns and shooting, these days I just don't get all that much enjoyment out of it. A major issue I have is that I'm not as skilled of a rifleman as I used to be due to vision issues. Which is not uncommon with older shooters. At 100 yards, my percentage of shots kept within the size of a human head was about 85%. It's probably good enough defensive shooting, but I'm not gonna be the platoon sniper.
I've been feeling the same way. For me it's the traffic to/from the range. It feels like traffic on the Interstate has doubled or more in the 20 years since I joined the range. What used to be a leisurely drive is now a white knuckle competition all the way down. Sometimes I get to the range and I'm already exhausted. Just way too many people.

+1. Whenever I get into a rut I take a couple of pistols and shoot steel targets. Immediate feedback and less hassle.

I've been feeling the same way. For me it's the traffic to/from the range. It feels like traffic on the Interstate has doubled or more in the 20 years since I joined the range. What used to be a leisurely drive is now a white knuckle competition all the way down. Sometimes I get to the range and I'm already exhausted. Just way too many people.
10/4 Areo...My wife bought me a coffee cup that says "I like fishing

I spent 4 hours yesterday at my private club range as a safety adviser. I got to shoot a little, but it was a bit breezy for .22 rimfire at 100 yards. And my old eyes also aren't the greatest for AR iron sights at 100 and 200 yard steel gongs. What was more fun was offering my spotting scope and rest to some newer shooters struggling to get their 10-22 on paper at 100 yards, and assisting another members daughter reposition the scope on her .270 Win. Also letting the newer shooters try out my S&W M&P 15-22 was fun for them as well. I find time spent supporting and encouraging new shooters to be more enjoyable than testing loads and different rifles/handguns by myself.
What does "10-22 on paper at 100yards" mean?

What does "10-22 on paper at 100yards" mean?

"10-22" The classic Ruger 10/22

Referring to getting rounds to hit the paper target....."On Paper". You shoot at target out at 100yards. You look through the spotting scope and see the holes. You're on paper. Capicse?

When first "sighting in" a new rifle/scope combo, you would shoot at a fairly close distance. Maybe 25 yards? Less/more? One you "get on paper" you move the target farther back to fine tune.

I'm younger than some of you guys, but "young" by comparison only. Where did the years go?

I used to enjoy going to the range by myself, some alone time to shoot, tinker with new loads or new guns, and clear my mind. Now my favorite range trips are with my kids. We mix it up- paper targets, steel targets, clay targets. Sometimes rifles, sometimes pistols, sometimes old surplus or even black powder. My teenagers like to go with me to the range, but I know that those days are numbered as they grow up and get busy with their own lives.

I used to go with friends, but that's gotten to be more trouble than it's worth to even find anyone who wants to go. They say they want to, but everyone is busy, nobody has time.

Anyone who wants to meet up at CVSC for an afternoon at the range, let me know.

Alot of times me going to the range is about my ammo business, load testing and the like. My ammo has to shoot to my standards period. Sometimes I just need a gun day and do something like shoot at the dueling tree with one caliber on on side and the other side with a different firearm/caliber. I get the getting old and loosing shooting buddys. My best buddy's shoulders are so torn up he can't hold up even a .22 caliber handgun let alone any kind of rifle. I do try to shoot a Bowling Pin Match when I can and that ends up being a bunch of good'ol boys shooting for braggin' rights. Only doing that once every so offten has made me a mid-range competitor but is still fun anyways. Back in the day I was the guy to beat but that's in the rearview mirror now having developed a tremor in my dominate left side.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top