JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
4J School Board in Eugene has been contemplating prohibiting concealed carry on 4J property per recent new laws. It is too easy to manipulate and stifle public testimony at board meetings (see below), so the most effective means of getting our point across is email. Here are the email addresses for the 4J School Board members. Please email them with your civil, non-inflammatory comments:

Judy Newman, 2021-22 Chair
Email: [email protected]
Maya Rabasa, 2021-22 Vice Chair
Keerti Hasija Kauffman
Alicia Hays
Michelle Hsu
Gordon Lafer
Laural O'Rourke

My letter to the 4J school board:

I worry daily about the safety of my children and those of others in an increasingly violent society where school shootings are no longer rare. I am a CHL holder. I carry a concealed firearm at various times and in various situations. I do not make the world or my specific location in it a more dangerous place by doing so. On the contrary, I am equipped to defend myself and others in dangerous situations. When violence occurs on a school campus, who is it that puts an end to it? Who do we call to resolve the situation? We call law enforcement, a person with a firearm, and that usually ends the violence quickly. Indeed, when an active shooter simply sees that there is an opposing armed person present they usually either commit suicide or run away. This was the case in the Clackamas Mall shootings, the Texas church massacre, and many others. As soon as armed opposition appears the violence ceases.

So what is wrong with calling the professional, trained officers of law enforcement to end the situation? Relying on law enforcement that is usually 5 to 15 minutes away allows a gunman that much time to wreak havoc. The shootings at Sandy Hook occurred in a period of roughly 5 minutes. What if a person with a concealed carry firearm had been present before the first shot was fired? How many precious 5 year olds would be alive today?

Concerns about licensed concealed carry are greatly exaggerated. Most people who hold concealed handgun licenses train and practice much more than the average law enforcement officer. Most officers don't practice beyond the annual qualifications shooting, which may be firing 50 rounds at a range on a single day each year. Personally, I have been proficient with firearms my whole life, and I practice at least monthly. Negligent discharges, such as a dropped weapon, are almost non-existent with modern firearms, which are designed with built in safeguards against such events.

People with concealed handgun licenses are not criminals. One must have a clear record in order to obtain the license. Background checks, formal training classes, fingerprinting, and continued safe behavior are requirements to obtain and keep a concealed handgun license. The population of concealed handgun license holders is statistically more law abiding than even law enforcement officers. They are not trigger happy wannabe heroes, or fringe criminal types. They are law abiding, honest, caring citizens who simply don't want to have to wait for the police to show up if they or other innocent people are attacked and in mortal danger.
Gun free zones, such as you are contemplating creating, are magnets for deranged criminals who want to do as much damage as possible in a limited time frame. They know that they will have at least 5 to 10 minutes to wreak havoc unopposed in a gun free zone before law enforcement shows up, and that everyone else in the vicinity will be unarmed. Please don't subject our children to more gun free zones.

Not permitted or carrying concealed. Law/rules/regulations did not apply. What now, school board?

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 3.43.44 PM.png

Heck, just teach class on the lawn! That way, homicidal maniacs domn't have to force their way in - that makes them mad.
Exactly. No sense in busting down perfectly good doors or windows. Then again, faculty loves leaving those doors unlocked even if altercations are taking place across the street from the school.

Ask them to provide a detailed list of the problems they've have had from CCW holders in the last five years, that is prompting this consideration.

If there's been nothing...or very little...which is what I suspect...ask them to explain why this is such a pressing issue all of a sudden? Particularly when research shows that CCW holders commit crimes at a rate that is less than that of police officers.

Then ask them what their plan is to deal with an active shooter situation at one of their schools and what type of casualty rate that plan is designed to limit the situation to...meaning, how many students do they expect will be shot and how will the plan ensure that the number isn't higher?

Note that if they give you an answer along the lines of, "having any students shot is unacceptable, zero casualties" etc., it is a sure sign that they don't have a real plan and they aren't taking the threat of a school shooter seriously. Because there will be casualties and the only thing that minimizes the number of casualties is how quickly they can get an armed good guy on site to deal with the shooter. On average you can expect 1-2 casualties for every minute that the shooter goes unchallenged...until he runs out of victims. And this average will likely be exceeded in the initial first minutes of the attack...likely grossly exceeded.

I would bet money that these people are wasting their time demonizing lawful CCW holders when they should be working to significantly bolster their active shooter protocol and hardening the actual schools.

Be curious to see if any violent crime has EVER been committed on a school campus by a CC permit holder. We know people with evil intent don't care about rules

These sheeple seem to continually think that laws stop those with evil intent.

I was always under the impression that Oregone had a preemption clause in it's Constitution that did not allow for each little jurisdiction to make up it's own firearms laws. Was I completely wrong or are they just ignoring it?

I was always under the impression that Oregone had a preemption clause in it's Constitution that did not allow for each little jurisdiction to make up it's own firearms laws. Was I completely wrong or are they just ignoring it?
that was overturned in this last gun control law last years legislative session, this is whats allowing public schools and other public places from creating their own GFZs that have the force of the law. Essentially we are now a "signage state" for public buildings.

that was overturned in this last gun control law last years legislative session, this is whats allowing public schools and other public places from creating their own GFZs that have the force of the law. Essentially we are now a "signage state" for public buildings.
So that actually amended the Constitution of Oregon? I moved out of there over a year ago and admit I haven't been following it as closely as I otherwise would.

So that actually amended the Constitution of Oregon? I moved out of there over a year ago and admit I haven't been following it as closely as I otherwise would.
I dont know.
I dont know how it works... I just know that now whatever preemption we "had" doesnt seem to matter when a public space can suddenly put up a sign that makes you a felon for being there even though you have a lawful CHL. Im assuming the new law amended the preemption or is just going around it.

If you skip to the 4 minute mark in the video the lawyer lists the only four places that can Constitutionally be considered "Sensitive Places" where firearms may be banned:

Government Courthouses
Government Legislative Chambers i.e.The State Capitol Building
Polling Places
and Schools.

No Oregon has not become "signage state" for public buildings. Signs or policies do not mean $#!^ if you have an Oregon CHL. Further more, our win in the DC case where DC is trying to ban carry on the subway and buses does not bode well for Portland Metro who has long dreamed of banning guns on the MAX lines, Expo Center and the Zoo.

If you skip to the 4 minute mark in the video the lawyer lists the only four places that can Constitutionally be considered "Sensitive Places" where firearms may be banned:

Government Courthouses
Government Legislative Chambers i.e.The State Capitol Building
Polling Places
and Schools.

No Oregon has not become "signage state" for public buildings. Signs or policies do not mean $#!^ if you have an Oregon CHL. Further more, our win in the DC case where DC is trying to ban carry on the subway and buses does not bode well for Portland Metro who has long dreamed of banning guns on the MAX lines, Expo Center and the Zoo.

For clarification, what do you consider public buildings?

For clarification, what do you consider public buildings?
A store or shopping mall, even though Simon Properties has a No Weapons Policy clearly written on a sign at the entrance. A public library, even if it is attached to a municipal court building. A restaurant during hours it is open and serves the public. Etc.

A store or shopping mall, even though Simon Properties has a No Weapons Policy clearly written on a sign at the entrance. A public library, even if it is attached to a municipal court building. A restaurant during hours it is open and serves the public. Etc.
Malls, stores, and restauraunts, those are privately owned buildings.

The new CHL signage prohibition only applies to buildings we pay taxes on, public owned buildings.

I "think" I see now how they got around the states preemption law....

For the same reason a 5 star restaurant can require a dinner jacket, or Subway can require a shirt and shoes, any private business owner can employ a weapon ban. They could even ban cell phones if they want (Concert venues often do).

Privately operated and "public space" can coexist.

Whether or not such policies would hurt business is another matter.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top