JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
question for the Rowland owners using the 1911.
I haven't found the answer yet on the website, is the compensator removable from the 460 barrel? If so, how does it remove (threaded, pinned, etc.)?

Don't know myself, but this is on their website:

The cost for permanently securing the Compensator to the barrel to make it legal in California and other states that require this is $102.50 plus return shipping. With the exception of the 1911, the customer must send the slide to 460 Rowland for pinning.

For the 1911, the barrel is removable/replaceable even after the Compensator is attached, so only the barrel need be sent. In the case of a new Conversion sale, we can pin the Compensator before shipping the order.

It would appear, since this is listed an additional option for the 1911, it would seem that the compensator is removable under normal circumstances - even though you don't have to remove it to install the conversion.

It would be interesting to hear from a 1911 owner though.

yeah, that's what I read too. I'm not interested in the California compliance so I'm curious on how its removable. Ultimately this wouldn't affect my decision, the tough part is deciding what size 1911 to convert a commander or govt size. I imagine the commander size would equal the length of a stock govt when done, how cool would that be (very) but I also like me some full size 1911 action and I like the way the compensator blends better with the full size slide.

yeah, that's what I read too. I'm not interested in the California compliance so I'm curious on how its removable. Ultimately this wouldn't affect my decision, the tough part is deciding what size 1911 to convert a commander or govt size. I imagine the commander size would equal the length of a stock govt when done, how cool would that be (very) but I also like me some full size 1911 action and I like the way the compensator blends better with the full size slide.

Did a quick search, found this online about the compensators on the 1911 conversions:

The Clark kit comes with a barrel bushing wrench that I predict I will never use. For one thing, it will not fit over the barrel with the comp in place, and Clark DOES NOT RECOMMEND unscrewing the comp. It is "locked" on with Loctite, anyway, and would require both heat and torque to remove. It appears the best way to "field strip" this pistol is to remove the slide stop pin and then take the slide, barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, etc. all off as one unit. Further disassembly will probably never be necessary for normal cleaning and lubing. If it was necessary to remove the barrel bushing, Clark says most can be taken loose by hand.

http://mikestexashunt-fish.com/clark-custom-guns-460-rowland-conversion/

question for the Rowland owners using the 1911.
I haven't found the answer yet on the website, is the compensator removable from the 460 barrel? If so, how does it remove (threaded, pinned, etc.)?

It's threaded. Cant see any pins. Not sure if you could remove it. It might be crushed on like revolver barrels. :rolleyes: needs cleaning.

good to know, thanks for the replies on that. It doesn't sound like the comp is serviceable but probably would never need it... cant think of any reason to want to remove it.

I ran a 460 Rowland kit in a Mil-spec S.A. for a few years, back when they where sort of a new thing.
It was a lot of fun but.....
the more I learned about 1911's, even the "approved" platforms, the less comfortable I became.
I eventually sold the kit & ammo, & rolled into the Glock 20 for my "magnum" auto needs. A gun engineered from the start to shoot it's cartridge.
not to discourage any new 460 owners, but, ask yourself, what am I really after? what do I want it for?
I had a .50 Desert Eagle for a time. It was a lot of fun too.
Just wanted to share my experience, good luck & have fun!

Last Edited:
And people are skeered to use anything but standard pressure 9mm in their preciousess.. lol.
"just put a heavier spring in it and make it a .35 Winchester!"
no

"ask yourself, what am I really after? what do I want it for?"

Ha! I got mine for primarily for blowing up fruit. I does a hell of a job.:D

not to discourage any new 460 owners, but, ask yourself, what am I really after? what do I want it for?
the same thing anyone who wants a 44mag for.

I ran a 460 Rowland kit in a Mil-spec S.A. for a few years, back when they where sort of a new thing.
It was a lot of fun but.....
the more I learned about 1911's, even the "approved" platforms, the less comfortable I became.
this is the real question... despite what the mfg claims just what really does the round do to the modified guns its designed for, Just how long do they really last... the round really hasn't been in use that long and reviews are only just coming in.

what made you uncomfortable shooting the 460?

It's only a 5 minute swap back to the old barrel, and you can always shoot regular 45 with the Rowland still in. I just don't see a problem. I still use my 10mm for a camp gun, but if I ever get attacked by watermelons I may consider packin the Rowland.:D...... or both

I have to admit the cost of the 460 ammo is too much to consider shooting a lot of it, enough to worry about excessive wear on the gun anyways...
I still like the idea of owning one of these kits as a woods gun, deer hunting and just for fun.

the same thing anyone who wants a 44mag for.

this is the real question... despite what the mfg claims just what really does the round do to the modified guns its designed for, Just how long do they really last... the round really hasn't been in use that long and reviews are only just coming in.

what made you uncomfortable shooting the 460?
The early 10mms in the 1911 were breaking the frames and I don't believe the 10 is a hard hitting as the 460 is it edslhead?

The early 10mms in the 1911 were breaking the frames and I don't believe the 10 is a hard hitting as the 460 is it edslhead?
this was strictly a Colt issue in their first production 10mm run. Its the reason why Colts have the bridge above the slide stop cutout removed where other 1911's don't, even some of their 45s. I'm not really qualified to say but in my opinion I think it was a metallurgy or machining issue specific to Colt and not a structural issue of the 1911 frame design, is plenty strong enough since none of the other 1911 10mm's have the bridge removed I think Colt took a shortcut on this one. Anyways, the 1911 frame can take a pounding, I'm actually surprise the dust cover on the slide isn't what cracks and breaks.

"ask yourself, what am I really after? what do I want it for?"

Ha! I got mine for primarily for blowing up fruit. I does a hell of a job.:D

I want mine for bear protection while hiking, primarily in Alaska. I want it so I can have 13 rounds of mid-44 magnum power strapped to my chest while I'm in the middle of nowhere. I don't expect to put more than 50 rounds of 460 through it every year.

The Rowland has more recoil than a 10 for sure. I haven't shot game with either but the 460 seems to have a lot more punch. The bad thing with the Rowland is the heavy spring makes racking the slide pretty stout on a 1911. You get 2 springs with the kit and I put the lighter one in . Not to sure how bad it is on a glock but I imagine if you were to carry it for protection it would have to be with one in the tube.

Hey!! There havin a Black Friday sale

http://www.460rowland.com/product/compensated-glock-30-conversion/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top