Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

460 Rowland conversion for 1911

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Spray-n-pray, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

Hey Gang,
    I have been thinking about going a different direction with my woods carry choice. I am interested in the 460 Rowland kits that will allow for loads in a 1911 that are about the equivalent of a .44 magnum. The internet yields some interesting results and even a few decent videos, but I would like to hear from others who may have some first-hand experience with them. Specifically, I would like to know about reliability of the conversion. Since I may use one for woods carry, a black bear munching on you would be a real bad time to find out they jam, for example. Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks!

2. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've looked at the same thing only in an XDm conversion. Very tempting package, if you don't doubt the reliability and functionality. Looking forward to hearing from some first handers, if they are out there.

3. Gramps

Gramps Springfield Member

I have had one for a few years, put maybe 100 rounds through it with zero problems. It is on a Kimber frame and slide, everyone on the firing line knows when you touch it off! I have not carried it as a woods gun but would not hesitate to do so.

4. Spray-n-pray

According to Clark's Custom Guns (one of the kit makers), the compensator and heavier recoil spring make the recoil feel about the same as a .45acp. Is there any truth to that, or just hot air?

Thanks!

5. Spray-n-pray

By the way, Gramps, who manufactured the kit you use?

6. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I would love some info on this as well. Honestly this is the first time I have heard of this and it looks like the velocities are comparable with 10mm.

Looks like its a bit better then 10mm.

7. Gramps

Gramps Springfield Member

Mine is a Clark's unit. I did not buy it new, a friend had it. Recoil is a bit stiffer than a normal .45 but not by a large amount. This discussion make me want to go out and play with it. Soon as the weather breaks....

8. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

Do they use the same Mag as a 1911 or do you need a different one. I may have to get one of these for my SA loaded.

9. Spray-n-pray

From everything I have read, they use a standard 1911 magazine.

10. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

11. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I had a Clark 460 Rowland kit on a full sized G.I. Springfield.. I don't recall It ever jamming. To me, It kicked more than hard ball, but nothing worse than... a medium 357mag load? I sold the kit after doing a lot of research on the ability of the 1911 platform to take the kind of slide velocity/pressure that the 460 puts out. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, It just made ME uncomfortable. I decided the 10mm cartridge, loaded to original 10mm spec in the glock 20 platform, was a better solution = heavy hitting, semi auto, woods gun. If I feel a need for more than that, I opt for one of my super blackhawks. If I need more than that, I need a rifle. good luck! Mike

12. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

if you're bored with your 1911's you could always trade them to me atvyhw.jpg

13. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

14. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

Seems like quite a handful if loaded to full potential. I push 180gr to 1400fps in my G20 and it's a handful for sure. They're pushing similar weight bullets 150fps faster.

15. Spray-n-pray

That's true, but the claim is that the compensator tames the recoil considerably. I may just need to get one and do a range report here.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Spray-n-pray

Man, you are like a broken record - sell me your 1911s, trade me 1911s, give me your 1911s. Do you really like them or something? For crying out loud.........

Everyone knows, they are an outdated and obsolete design. Why bother?

:D

17. Spray-n-pray

2gr8dgs - could you please specify some of what you researched regarding pressures and the 1911 frame? On Clark's website, it does recommend that some heat treated frames be avoided, but that most were acceptable for use with their conversion.

Also, I wonder how much firing of the 460 would become excessive, and put too much strain on the frame. If I were to get one, I would probably not put more than a few hundred rounds through it in its lifetime. Just enough to test it for reliability, then carry in the woods for real-life encounters of the predatory kind.

18. spitball

spitball Steilacoom Member

I've had a Clark Custom .460 Rowland on my Colt Commander for years. Fired almost 1000 rounds of Rowland shells and thousands of rounds of regular .45 ACP through it too. It's way more betterer ;) than a .44Mag! I retired from the Army in 2008 and moved to Sierra Vista AZ. to teach. We had illegals killing people all over the U.S near the border and I rode dirt bikes in the desert often. A rifle was out of the question so I looked for a long range, magnum, pistol cartridge and the .460 is the logical choice. The comp made it a pleasure to shoot. Function was perfect with light hand loads too. It feeds the same mags, bullets and brass as any ACP but you can still feed the Rowland cases that are a little longer than standard brass. It shoots flat at 300 yards too! I could ring a gong all the time at the local range near Tombstone, AZ when rifles couldn't. However, like most magnum handguns it over penetrates at close range. I shot a whitetail with it at 25 yards and it took three rounds to put it down. The beauty of this cartridge is that you just buy the barrel (w/ the 1 1/2" comp on it) and you just forget it. You get two guns in one holster. One other thing to note is that you are limited to lighter, HP Hornady bullets too so it's great in the open desert but would be a terrible defense round in the house.

19. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

I shot Gramps' 460 Rowland conversion and I have to say that it operated flawlessly, and was extremely accurate to boot. We were punching ragged holes in the target at a distance of about 50 feet. Recoil was more than a standard 45 obviously, but it was very controllable. The only downside I can think of is keeping track of your brass as it is pretty expensive....

20. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

don't reply, just comply.