JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My understanding is that 460 Rowland brass is a bit longer than 45acp and 45 super brass, solely to prevent it from being chambered in standard 45acp chambers. Is that an accurate understanding. So if I had a firearm chambered for 45acp or 45 super I could trim down the 460 Rowland brass to use standard 45acp chambers, correct?

Never worked with that caliber but have done several conversions for various reasons.
The answer is maybe but things to consider...

The 460 brass may be thicker inside in construction which might affect pressure and bullet seating once trimmed. You'll need to check the volume of your new trimmed case and inside dimensions vs a standard 45acp.

Also, you are taking a much more scarce and uncommon cartridge and trying to turn it into something that is about as common as it gets besides 9mm. Usually you want to go the other way, for instance turning .357mag (common and available) into .351 winchester sl (not so common and spendy).

In other words just because you can doesn't mean you want to.

If you have a bunch of the 460 brass (which I am going to bet is not common and more expensive) you might be better served to sell or trade with someone who wants it.

Never worked with that caliber but have done several conversions for various reasons.
The answer is maybe but things to consider...

The 460 brass may be thicker inside in construction which might affect pressure and bullet seating once trimmed. You'll need to check the volume of your new trimmed case and inside dimensions vs a standard 45acp.

Also, you are taking a much more scarce and uncommon cartridge and trying to turn it into something that is about as common as it gets besides 9mm. Usually you want to go the other way, for instance turning .357mag (common and available) into .351 winchester sl (not so common and spendy).

In other words just because you can doesn't mean you want to.

If you have a bunch of the 460 brass (which I am going to bet is not common and more expensive) you might be better served to sell or trade with someone who wants it.
If I told you why, you would probably want to scold me:) I think case volume won't be an issue since pistol loads generally don't come close to filling the case but that is something I will have to consider. Thank you for the input.

If I told you why, you would probably want to scold me:) I think case volume won't be an issue since pistol loads generally don't come close to filling the case but that is something I will have to consider. Thank you for the input.
I never scold. We all have our reasons and rationale for doing different things. Ultimately you have your reasons and the responsibilities for the choices you make are your own;).

I can only share what I have learned and my word certainly isn't the last word. On anything lol.

I never scold. We all have our reasons and rationale for doing different things. Ultimately you have your reasons and the responsibilities for the choices you make are your own;).

I can only share what I have learned and my word certainly isn't the last word. On anything lol.
Also good thoughts on case thickness too. If I do this I will check all those dimensions out.

Sounds like some of my thoughts after spending some time on the XDTalk forum. I don't go there anymore but, several people say that a stock xd will "handle" 460 pressures with appropriate brass.

AND the correct mods of course. Case support is the key for the case.

Sry, Have to wake this thread up. :p
Can anyone tell me the official Rowland twist rate? Im curious if it just uses the standard .45 twist rate which is (of the too of my head) 1-16" isn't it?
Did a quick search to no avail.

Edit: Did a longer search and only came up with one example which is 1-16" twist.

Screenshot_2021-05-17-19-53-25.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews