Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

45acp vs 40s&w vs 10mm

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 22many, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Out of the 45acp, 40s&w, and the 10mm what do you people think is a more powerfull, deadly round? And please no responds of "depends on where you shoot the person". That is just common sense.

I would also like to hear from the guys that have actually shot all 3 types.

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I think this is the age old internet forum question. ;)

3. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

:deadhorse:

45 case capacity 25 gr H2O, max pressure 21,000 psi

10 mm 24 gr H2O, 37,500 psi max

On paper, the 10mm should outperform the 45.

Reality??? Wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of either,
    and there are a lot more choices in guns and ammo in 45.

40 isn't even a contender--all it is is a 10mm short. It will
    work in a 9mm size platform, and offers a step up from
    9mm at the cost of reduced capacity and increased recoil.

4. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

I'm voting 10mm (and I'm biased). DoubleTap loads in my S&W1076 are just phenominal. I have fired many a .45acp but not owned one, i just don't think the velocity is there...that being said it's still a fantastic caliber. My .40 experience is too limited to really give a fair opinion.

5. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

I vote .40, just slightly reduced capacity over 9mm, but more power.

6. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

This is kind of like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge issue... :eatpop:

7. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

10mm.

The .40 has a little snap to it while the 45 (slowest of the three) is more of a push into the hand. The 10mm was not fun to me with full powered ammo.

8. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I have pistols in each of those calibers and have to admit my favorite is the 10mm. If you are shooting your "target" at ranges of five to seven yards, I believe the power question is not that big of a concern as these are all capable self defense rounds: good relative stopping power for handguns and all that. More would depend on your abilities.
    If the need is to shoot at greater distances, the ten will quickly show itself as the more powerful round. Having been a silhouette shooter, I like to see what longer range abilities are available in a given autoloader,and here the Ten is in a class of it's own. Like 25-50 to 100 yds and more.
    I also agree with experts that state that if you are shooting at targets that shoot back, a handgun should be your last choice.

9. 22many

Thank for the info. I was mainly looking at a self defense aspect and your info is very informative. I, personally have always favored 45's as that is what I mainly own and it seems easier to come by. I own 1 9mm handgun and it doesnt seem to compare to the 45. Lately I have been hearing alot of 10mm talk so was just kind of wondering.

10. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the experience of someone shot by each of these rounds be a lot more valid? It's kinda hard to determine the lethality of a round by shooting it. My Kahr MK9 (with +P ammo) feels like it has way more punch than my XD40, my brothers 5" barreled Kimber or my buddy's Glock 20, but I know it's mostly the difference of guns.

11. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

BTW, if interested in 10mm I would definitely check the availability of ammo. My friend with the G20 has only been able to find 2 boxes of (expensive personal defense) ammo since he bought the gun 2 months ago. Not matter how effective the round was, that would be a NO-GO for me.

12. sillyrabbit

sillyrabbit Salem, Oregon Member

Shot and owned all 3, have two calibers now, regretably sold first 10mm looking to get another one now!

They use the 10mm as BUG against Grizzly's in Alaska! (not 45ACP or 40S&W!)
    Sounds like that answers that question :)

Plus IF you are a Glock fan (I am) you only have to change barrels in the 10mm G20 or G29 to shoot 40SW and .357Sig (if you wanted to!)

Personal defense?

45ACP or 10mm........... with either a 40SW as BUG)

45 will STOP when up close and personal (which most defense actions are)! So will the 10mm! AND the 10mm has velocity (if that matters to you) It penetrates (some say too much?) AND you can hunt Grizzly's with it! (oh? don't hunt Grizzly's?, but you should be prepared right? you never know :)

40SW works great! in between!

$.02 worth

13. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10mm Automatic

Introduced in 1983 in the ill fated Bren Ten autoloading pistol, the 10mm Auto has quickly become one of the most successful cartridges developed during this century. The idea originated with Whit Collins, who assisted in the project by John Adams, Irving Stone, and Jeff Cooper, but the credit for keeping this .40 caliber cartridge alive during its youth has to go to Colt for giving it a permanent home in the excellent Delta Elite version of its famous 1911 Government Model pistol. During 1990, the 10mm Auto gained even more credibility as a self defense cartridge when the FBI abandoned the 9mm Parabellum and officially adopted the larger caliber. Other law enforcement agencies are sure to follow suit. In addition to being an excellent self defense cartridge, the 10mm is powerful enough for use on deer size game at close to medium ranges. This especially holds true when it is loaded to maximum velocities with the heavier bullets and fired in a custom barrel from Bar-Sto, Wilson, or Centaur Systems. When the 150 and 155 grain bullets are down loaded to 1200 fps, the 10mm becomes an excellent cartridge for USPSA/IPSC competition with about the same level of recoil as that of the .38 Super. Recent tests with a Colt Delta Elite fitted with a Centaur barrel and compensator produced consistent accuracy of less than four inches at 50 yards.

This text is based on information from “Cartridges of the World”, Hodgdon reloading manual, the cartridge designer and/or own resources.

This relatively new round is similiar in capabilties as the ill fated 41mag, which is having a resurgence. The round works flawlessly in most autoloaders, and is managable in the recoil on the full size pistols. It's too bad that ammo is so expensive now.

14. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

40 super wins hands down

15. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have shot and currently own all three calibers in multiple guns. They are all three impressive rounds. My personal preference is the .40S&W. I love how well it performs in windshield penetration tests. Of course I also love the .45acp. It is an enormous bullet with plenty of energy behind it. The again, I am very fond of the 10mm also. It is an amzingly powerful round with impressive performance.

Hope that helps. :)

16. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

You lost me there...I'm not sure what chamber pressure has to do with effectiveness. .22LR has a chamber pressure of ~25,000, and I think I'd rather be hit by a .22LR than a .45.

Look at ft lbs of energy at muzzle...I'm going to use Speer Gold Dots, and Hornady XTP for the 10mm as Speer doesn't make that. Ranked worst to best:

230gr .45ACP 404
    180gr .40S&W 420
    185gr .45ACP 453
    155gr .40S&W 496
    180gr 10mm 556

+P 9mm tops out at around 400 ft lbs at muzzle - which amusingly is the same as "the classic manstopper" 230gr .45ACP, but that is heresy to some people ;-) Cor-bon's hottest hollowpoint .40S&W is 448 ft lbs at muzzle.

17. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I have one of my 1911's converted to 45 Super and load a 1200fps 230gr JHP for it.

Produces 736 ft/lb muzzle energy.

Not exactly your grandma's 45 ACP but out of the same sized package.

Aditionally I load a +p+ 230gr JHP 1000 fps 511 ft/lb muzzle energy I shoot out of the other 1911.

Note both my 1911's are sprung heavy for the heavier loads. I don't recomend firing this hot of a load without being setup to do so.

18. 22many

Its great hearing from you guys that have shot all three. Seems like everybody has their own favorites. Found this on the web. Dont know if its modified or not but the 10mm looks pretty impressive.....

19. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

:bluelaugh:

Yes that has obviously been edited. I never said anything bad about 10mm FWIW I just prefer 45 ACP and it's variants.

20. KENOC

KENOC Portland area Member

It's not even a close contest. 10mm has much much more stopping power per round. If you only get one shot and need to stop the bad guy, 10mm all the way.