JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Figured I would share how I deal with this issue. A recent thread on small primer pocket .45ACP vrs. large primer pocket trigged me to post this. Just happened to have .45ACP brass processing next up so today shot this short video showing how the AmmoBot auto-drive system with the primer pocket sensor and the case ejector works. Basically the swedging rod on the D1050 is removed and a spring-loaded sensor is installed with a large primer pocket tip. This can be run with regular loading just to check the primer pockets for any "ringers". (primers left behind with the bottoms removed but the sidewalls remain, looking like a ring) But when processing .45 ACP you can run this system with the case ejector to sort small primer pockets from large.

Station one is a Lee undersizer .45 ACP die that is also decapping the primers. Normally like with 9mm I use a universal to decap, then size and undersize in other stations. However, with .45 ACP I have one station before the primer pockets are checked so need to do it all in one so even the small primer pocket cases are decapped and undersized. There is a sensor on top of the Lee die incase the decapping rod pushes up due to an obstruction like a 9mm case hiding in the .45 case, rod pushes up the sensor stops the machine.

Station two, is the primer pocket checker. A large sensor is in the machine so it will detect any small primers, pause the machine and the case ejector will kick it out into a bin to the side of the press. The machine then starts up again and keeps going as long as you keep feeding it brass. (I have an Immortalbot case detection sensor in front of station one to shut the press down if it runs out of cases, or one is jammed/miss feeds)

I will load both small and large primer .45ACP. Most of my 45 brass is large but small primers have been increasing in their numbers from range pickups.

Station one is a Lee undersizer .45 ACP die

I'm glad you brought these up. Some people don't know about them. I've had them in .38/.357 and 9mm. Such a die in .45 ACP is one answer to bullet tension/pull issues arising from thin brass. They only undersize by .001 - .002 but that can make the tension problem go away and it isn't noticed on the finished product.

I'm glad you brought these up. Some people don't know about them. I've had them in .38/.357 and 9mm. Such a die in .45 ACP is one answer to bullet tension/pull issues arising from thin brass. They only undersize by .001 - .002 but that can make the tension problem go away and it isn't noticed on the finished product.

If an undersizer die exists I always use them. Especially in auto fed pistols. (9mm, 10mm, .357 and .45ACP)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top