JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a new 1911 owner, so I need to start buying some .45ACP. I haven't had to buy my own ammo for a long time, so I was a bit shocked to find the cheapest .45 at $20/box. Ouch.

I suppose buying a case at a gun show would cut down on the unit cost, but how much? Between parking and entrance fees, I would have to save a bunch to just break even. Is there any hope, or is it just going to cost me no matter what?

$20.00 for a box of 50, $0.40 a round, is about the going rate unless you go online and buy 250 - 500 rounds of bulk stuff (which can be good or bad depending on where you get it from, usually complaints are unreloadable small primer brass, dirty powder, dented cases, etc.) which averages about $0.36 a round...

So to get the cost down, "bite the bullet" (just had to) and invest in a inexpensive reloading setup and start doing your own reloads...

I don't complain about $19.99 for 50 .45 ACP, I am paying $35.00 for 20 decent .300 Winchester Magnums, $1.75 per round... :winkkiss:...

The .50 cal BMG guys, $2.80 per round and up, if your gonna play you gotta pay..... ;)

I kind of had a feeling....

I already have a Lee turret press, and currently reload for .45-70, .30-40 Krag, .30-06, .22-250 and have dies for .223. I have toyed with the idea of reloading handgun ammo, but didn't really 'need' to until now. So, it looks like a set of carbide dies in .45ACP may be in my arsenal fairly soon.

The best rate on line is about $0.30 delivered for Blazer aluminum, which is the cheapest stuff that I shoot.
I see that Palmetto State Armory is out of it, and so are some of the other sites that I check.

The best I can find right now is $0.36 ea. delivered, but at least it's brass cased:
<broken link removed>

My thought is that it's only going to continue going up in price, so I might as well load up now. I've got several cases of .45 I bought a few years ago, and a freaking metric ton of .22LR that I got for about $11 a brick. Not bragging here, just warning you that it's always a good time to stock up.

Put another way, "These are the good old days."

Sounds like fun, but Depoe Bay is a bit out of my 'bbq range.'

I'm now ready to reload!

On-hand: Titegroup, CCI large pistol primers (500 for now)
On the way: 1000 pieces brass, 500 Missouri bullets (200 gr LSWC), Lee 4 piece deluxe carbide die set, extra 4 hole turret
Forgot to get: shell holder

Once I get the first 500 loaded, I'll get some more bullets and primers. FWIW, I ordered the bullets on-line (obviously) and I got a 'shipping confirmation email within 5 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top